PDA

View Full Version : What resources would you say are must haves?

vikiwizz
08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi

I'm planning on starting childminding in September, and am looking at buying a few things to start up, but obviously don't want to waste money for the sake of it.

Now I know it all depends what ages you are looking after, but what would you say are your must have toys/resources that's have proved to be a good investment no matter how big or small?

Viki

clareelizabeth1
08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
My fave are apart from all things arty and sensory of which there are never enough.

Duplo
Wooden train track
Plastic animals
Box of balls
Box of pots
Box of random things
Box of random wooden things
Building blocks.
Orchard childrens games (like the shopping list game)
Box of baby toys

blue bear
08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Child size table and chairs
Water/sand table
Active world tray/cement tray/tuff spot
Dolls
Toy kitchen
Books
Storage unit (I have ikea trofast)
Paper, pens, pencils, crayons, stickersaint brushes, pva glue
Camera(phone camera will do) for obs etc

Greengrass74
08-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Ours love junk modelling and spend ages just sticking and glueing stuff together , we are always collecting stuff to use like cereal boxes, plastic containers bits of material etc. in fact any old junk that the Lo's can make things with. We are lucky to have a resource centre close to us and can pick up some great stuff.

They also play with the following the most
- Bricks, lego and duplo
- Dressing up, old hats, scarves, gloves etc
- Brushes of all shapes and sizes
- wooden train track
- lots of cars, big and little
- Jigsaw puzzles and books

Try car boot sales and jumble sales to keep cost down and if you have a local toy library maybe you could join giving you a opportunity to keep changing toys and resources

shortstuff
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I would say my duplo gets used most of all. Also the mat you can buy to build on. I even have a LO that attends that likes to just walk over it for the sensory value on her feet.

my keyboard with microphone also gets a lot of attention.

I have children aged from one up to six and they love them both.

HTH

snortlet
08-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm having a clear out of puzzles and games you are welcome to have. where are you based? I'm in Northampton.

vikiwizz
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm having a clear out of puzzles and games you are welcome to have. where are you based? I'm in Northampton.

I'm in Bracknell, Berkshire :)

Thanks everyone that's great, I have a few bits already as have a 3 year old, so have duplo, train track all manner of peppa pig figures and dressing up. Quite a lot of crafty bits paint and stamping. Soft toys and puzzles. Actually didn't realise lo had so much lol

What else could I/should I get?

sskent08
08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
mine all love:

musical instruments
books
duplo
animals
play food
train set
cars and car play mat
crayons and colouring
stacking cups
wooden bricks

I have brought some stuff second hand, some nice wooden toys in a sale at Sainsbury's recently, just don't spend too much, I am changing to wooden toys from plastic but I am keeping my little people sets