PDA

View Full Version : PLA conference feedback

Simona
07-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Conference about to start...Sue Gregory first speaker
Will try to feedback any news from friendly BIRMINGHAM

Has anyone confirmed the scrapping of ratios yet?

SammySplodger
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Conference about to start...Sue Gregory first speaker
Will try to feedback any news from friendly BIRMINGHAM

Has anyone confirmed the scrapping of ratios yet?

I hope Ms Gregory is her usual 'positive' self
:-/
Let us know if she says anything nice about CMs?!

Simona
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
She did but will report later
Neil thanked everyone for the effort against ratios and made us stand up and applaud ourselves!
Gave a very inspiring speech to continue with our good work and said children are not a commodity and high quality child care cannot be delivered on the cheap

I hope to put a question to Sue Gregory if the opportunity comes
Those on twitter can follow what is going on

Ofsted presentation will be availed for those who attend and I will ensure I post it for you to share
Changes coming for cms...consultation to follow on new inspection framework for us
Over for now

Sorry about mistakes and spelling getting used to iPad while listening

Simona
07-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Sue Gregory spoke about the new 8 Ofsted regions that are now running
They will help providers to raise quality
She told us cms will be consulted on new inspection framework in a few months
I thanked her for the updates at the conference but cms needed to know what is going on not just at a conference but in separate ways as we are left dangling
She told us agencies will be decided by the CandF bill and agency framework to be decided

I asked her if this support from ofsted would be available for independent cms
Her reply: agencies will not be compulsory and independent cms will be included in new inspection just as agencies will
So changes ahead...not really a straight answer

Neil acknowledged later that there are more worries about MGC and I had raised one of them: agencies

sarah707
07-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Simona has forgotten to tell us that she was asked to stand up and has been clapped by all the delegates for her contributions to stopping the ratios changes!

:cheerleader:

Simona
07-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I was mentioned alongside another cm for the contribution to the ratio and there will be some sort of something to follow later but I have just spoken to Neil and it is not my effort but everyone which he pointed out very clearly at the start...together we did and Neil knows how much the forum contributed as well.....I keep praising it to him

I was applauded when I asked Sue Gregory about independent cms and my question stopped by the clapping but I am here speaking for ALL of us
Many people have since told me they support cms and do not want agencies...they are very friendly and respectful of cms
PLA is listening at the agency group but Neil says he is not interested in agencies for cms but this is our next fight...hope he will help us

He also confirmed the ratio have been definitely scrapped ...so cheers to us all
Over and out for now

Simona
07-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Just starting a workshop with Ofsted Dee Gasson

Mouse
07-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the updates Simona. Sounds like it's going well.

Simona
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Next session is about cms and agencies, how we will be inspected and so on
Every time I ask the same answer comes back...cms will be consulted on new framework in the next few months once agencies have been sorted
Dee Gasson is really very good and she recognised me from the last conference I was at with her...hoping to catch her during the break

SammySplodger
07-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Many thanks for info Simona - many of us can't attend these events - great to get such a detailed report back.

:-D

sarah707
07-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Crikey what a long day you must be shattered! :yawning:

Simona
07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Not at all...very encouraged as all people in the room are AGAINST agencies...so many concerns and worries from them
They were very vocal and would vote against agencies

Dee gave me lots of time....so much to tell you but one thing she did say there is no truth in that rumour about the inspection fee...she asked me where I got the info from and Ofsted must be puzzled as well
They know how much we cost to inspect which is £ 700 but that does not mean we will pay that....so for the moment be reassured

I have to catch the traing back home now so will feedback when I get home

People here very supportive of cms and all said well done for speaking up...I did my best for you all

wellybelly
07-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you so much Simona for standing up on behalf of all us CM's, you deserve a round of applause from all of is :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: :clapping::clapping::clapping

mum26
07-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Thank you so much Simona for giving us all this information and brilliant to hear there is a lot of support for childminders - especially where the introduction of agencies are concerned. There must be hope that MGC can be overturned completely.

Simona
07-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Back home now...my brain is exploding with all this info which I will put in some order for you (I understand the Ofsted presentation will be available so will share when I get it)

What can I say?...I am glad I went, feel encouraged cms are getting support where I did not think it would be, we have colleagues who share our concerns

In terms of representation I know PLA represents its members well and their voice is respected...so lots to think about for the future

The workshop with Oftsed's Dee Gasson was very revealing...I got a bit carried away putting cms concerns on this but Dee gave me plenty of opportunity to speak and I am grateful to her for that

At some point during the cms agency discussion Dee had to calm everyone down ..she said this seemed to be 'an emotive subject', feelings were are running high and they were so very vocal against agencies...I was truly amazed wherever I turn others were shaking their heads at this idea!!

While this was going on I got an email from Ofsted telling me that Sue Gregory would reply to my request to clarify on our future inspection fee as I wrote to her asking for clarification when that rumour came out a few days ago....all in all not too bad

Lets raise a glass to celebrate our ratio victory and take courage we can do more with determination, positive engagement and good representation and above all everyone's small contribution matters...as Neil said the ratio is only one victory, there is still a lot to fight against!

The Juggler
07-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Back home now...my brain is exploding with all this info which I will put in some order for you (I understand the Ofsted presentation will be available so will share when I get it)

What can I say?...I am glad I went, feel encouraged cms are getting support where I did not think it would be, we have colleagues who share our concerns

In terms of representation I know PLA represents its members well and their voice is respected...so lots to think about for the future

The workshop with Oftsed's Dee Gasson was very revealing...I got a bit carried away putting cms concerns on this but Dee gave me plenty of opportunity to speak and I am grateful to her for that

At some point during the cms agency discussion Dee had to calm everyone down ..she said this seemed to be 'an emotive subject', feelings were are running high and they were so very vocal against agencies...I was truly amazed wherever I turn others were shaking their heads at this idea!!

While this was going on I got an email from Ofsted telling me that Sue Gregory would reply to my request to clarify on our future inspection fee as I wrote to her asking for clarification when that rumour came out a few days ago....all in all not too bad

Lets raise a glass to celebrate our ratio victory and take courage we can do more with determination, positive engagement and good representation and above all everyone's small contribution matters!

well done simona. it's great you are getting out and about at these conferences :clapping::clapping:

Stapleton83
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Well done Simona thanks so much for going out and asking the questions and raising the concerns that all of us are concerned about.

Good news about ratios and agree there is more to fight for but encouraging that there are others who are with us.

Sam x

SYLVIA
07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you have had a really busy but good day. I feel that we have more support than we realised by the things you have reported back and I'm ready for the next part of the fight to save our childcare system. Well done Simona and thank you for working for all of us

Mouse
07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Well done Simona. It's good to know that the message is getting across loud & clear!

miffy
07-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback Simona, it's good to hear what's being debated.

Miffy xx

Simona
08-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Thank you for your messages...my feeling on this is that we don't stop and my motto is that 'actions speak louder than words'
so more needs to be done and more cms' views need to be heard in the right places

Next week I am off to this conference...Ofsted will be there and even pacey...please read the agenda and you will see how many of the reforms are been pushed forward but how much do cms know??? who gives us the news or feedback??

http://www.westminsterforumprojects.co.uk/forums/agenda/early-years-childcare.pdf
Sharon Hodgson is chairing that conference and you now know she is visiting my setting soon...I want to tell her how much we are against agencies

RATIOS
Ratios are sorted but there is a lot to do yet and I remain of the opinion that cms are hit 4 times over by the reforms...we must have a strong voice and one that reflects our worries
we can still do a lot

LABOUR CHILDCARE COMMISSION
If you have read this article you know that Labour are also looking at childcare
Labour's Byrne pledges to put childcare at heart of employment policy | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1077432/labours-byrne-pledges-childcare-heart-employement-policy)

Labour have their own Childcare Commission based on our ideas and, they say, will be based on consultation with us (Lyam Byrne said that yesterday: we will consult with providers), lets make sure cms are included and I know PLA will be there to influence them...we also need others to represent us

I have input 4 times into the CCommission and once about an alternative to agencies ...please do your bit too

AGENCIES
Agencies are our biggest worry now...big enough for Ofsted and the DfE to put the new inspection framework on 'halt' until agencies are sorted...as I said to Oftsed yesterday it should be the other way round...why should independent cms wait?
Education and Children Policy Commission / Policy commissions / Agenda 2015 / Your Britain (http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/agenda-2015/policy-commissions/education-and-children-policy-commission)

Sarah has reminded us that the Leader did respond to her letter...so lets put pressure on Labour too
I attended a meeting with Byrne a long time ago, I have put questions and sent various emails to Miliband, have spoken to Twigg and am in touch with Sharon Hodgson regularly

I have also started a petition on the Labour website against agencies a long time ago but it is still open ...
please show your support and tell Labour you are 'against agencies'...this is not an e-petition or an online but another opportunity to air our views so not competing with anyone...
STOP the deregulation of the early years workforce | Campaign | Campaign Engine Room (http://www.campaignengineroom.org.uk/stop-the-deregulation-of-the-early-years-workforce)

It has only 42 signatures...what would happen if it was thousands???

Next week the C&F Bill is back for debate...put Tuesday 11 June in your diary...they can't debate ratios much now but 'agencies' are still on the Bill

Dee Gasson said yesterday the Bill in now going to the Lords...different from the political squabbles as the Lords look at eveidence
She also said these are the people Ofsted know are interested in setting up agencies (reading from notes here):
head teachers, LAs and and employers...

Sorry about the long post...hope it gives us courage and commitment to carry on campaigning

loocyloo
08-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Wow. Thank you Simona for all your hard work.

I just thought... These groups that ofsted say are interested in setting up agencies... Are they the people who emailed ofsted about being interested in setting up agencies? Cos I did that and I know others did... Not because we are interested, but as a way of finding out info! So it might not be that everyone is going to set up an agency.

The Juggler
08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
just signed simona. and just sent this to my mp. He is Libdem

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Mr

I am very happy about the stand down on increasing chilcare ratios. However, I wanted to urge you and Mr Clegg to now act on our behalf and speak out about the rest of the changes for childcare Ms Truss proposes - principally childminder agencies AND removal of LA early years support.

I was absolutely shocked to read some of Ms Truss's comments with regard to French nurseries and her admiration of this model. Let me give you a few examples:

2 year olds sitting at tables mainly doing structured activities.

That there is nothing wrong with children of 2 and 3 year olds doing mainly teacher led activities.

That UK nurserseries appear chaotic with children "running about everywhere" with no structure.

That it is not essential for early years settings to offer free flow play.

Where, might I ask is she getting her ideas from. Yes the french nurseries do this but where in research does it say this is how children learn best. 100 years of nursery education has taught us that children of this age learn best from following their own interests and exploring (an essential skill for becoming interested in and ready for learning when they start formal school). If we don't foster these interests in young children none of them will actually enjoy learning they will simply be going through the motions and/or rebel against learning causing more behaviour problems in the classroom and worse socio economic outcomes for them - a whole generation. This is not going to help meet Government goals of reducing poverty nor of improving the country's economy or unemployment figures.

Ms Truss quotes EPPE as proving that good early years settings make a difference later on in school. Yes, EPPE does show this. However, it is mainly because these children have been in quality effective early years settings - with a caring qualified or unqualified early years practitioner who knows that child initiated, led and freeflow play is KEY to their development of social and emotional skills which makes them want to explore and learn.

I woudl be most interested to know what Ofsted think of her comments as, since 2009, all early years settings have been judged on the following:

ability to offer free flow play

child accessible resources - so they can choose their resources

evidencing the child's voice in our planning and evaluation of our provision

evidencing the child's interests and development stage in individual and group planning.

How her vision of totally teacher led activities and no free flow play meets any of this criteria I fail to see. It goes against ALL of the principles of the EYFS. I am beyond furious that Ms Truss is being allowed by this Government to throw years of Government commissioned research by early years experts in the bin and make her own rules up for what is best for our children. She clearly has no knowledge of how young children learn best at all. I am furious that Ms Truss is being allowed by the Prime Minister to ignore her own early years advisors and Ms Nutbrown who was commissioned to carry out research into what changes needed to be made in the sector.

I would ask you respectfully to pass my comments to both Mr Clegg and the Prime Minister. I appreciate that if Ms Truss is inclined to ignore Ms Nutrbrown and Professor Penn then she is not likely to listen to sector workers less academically qualified to challenge her but if you look at the petitions and arguments raging at conferences all around the country I would hope that you will feel the strength of emotion and support us in this campaign to stop More Great Childcare.

Regards

loocyloo
08-06-2013, 08:13 AM
just signed simona. and just sent this to my mp. He is Libdem

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Mr

I am very happy about the stand down on increasing chilcare ratios. However, I wanted to urge you and Mr Clegg to now act on our behalf and speak out about the rest of the changes for childcare Ms Truss proposes - principally childminder agencies AND removal of LA early years support.

I was absolutely shocked to read some of Ms Truss's comments with regard to French nurseries and her admiration of this model. Let me give you a few examples:

2 year olds sitting at tables mainly doing structured activities.

That there is nothing wrong with children of 2 and 3 year olds doing mainly teacher led activities.

That UK nurserseries appear chaotic with children "running about everywhere" with no structure.

That it is not essential for early years settings to offer free flow play.

Where, might I ask is she getting her ideas from. Yes the french nurseries do this but where in research does it say this is how children learn best. 100 years of nursery education has taught us that children of this age learn best from following their own interests and exploring (an essential skill for becoming interested in and ready for learning when they start formal school). If we don't foster these interests in young children none of them will actually enjoy learning they will simply be going through the motions and/or rebel against learning causing more behaviour problems in the classroom and worse socio economic outcomes for them - a whole generation. This is not going to help meet Government goals of reducing poverty nor of improving the country's economy or unemployment figures.

Ms Truss quotes EPPE as proving that good early years settings make a difference later on in school. Yes, EPPE does show this. However, it is mainly because these children have been in quality effective early years settings - with a caring qualified or unqualified early years practitioner who knows that child initiated, led and freeflow play is KEY to their development of social and emotional skills which makes them want to explore and learn.

I woudl be most interested to know what Ofsted think of her comments as, since 2009, all early years settings have been judged on the following:

ability to offer free flow play

child accessible resources - so they can choose their resources

evidencing the child's voice in our planning and evaluation of our provision

evidencing the child's interests and development stage in individual and group planning.

How her vision of totally teacher led activities and no free flow play meets any of this criteria I fail to see. It goes against ALL of the principles of the EYFS. I am beyond furious that Ms Truss is being allowed by this Government to throw years of Government commissioned research by early years experts in the bin and make her own rules up for what is best for our children. She clearly has no knowledge of how young children learn best at all. I am furious that Ms Truss is being allowed by the Prime Minister to ignore her own early years advisors and Ms Nutbrown who was commissioned to carry out research into what changes needed to be made in the sector.

I would ask you respectfully to pass my comments to both Mr Clegg and the Prime Minister. I appreciate that if Ms Truss is inclined to ignore Ms Nutrbrown and Professor Penn then she is not likely to listen to sector workers less academically qualified to challenge her but if you look at the petitions and arguments raging at conferences all around the country I would hope that you will feel the strength of emotion and support us in this campaign to stop More Great Childcare.

Regards

Fantastic letter. I might have to borrow bits if that is ok? Mind you, my mp is tory and after initial support has told me she can't do any more. Grrrrr.

The Juggler
08-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Fantastic letter. I might have to borrow bits if that is ok? Mind you, my mp is tory and after initial support has told me she can't do any more. Grrrrr.

feel free! and you might want to point out to Ms Tory pants that she CAN do more now. If Nick Clegg can fight her then so can she :laughing:

Simona
08-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Ofsted is part of the Task and Finish group so they know who is interested...it was shared by Ofsted Principle Officer so not hearsay
why they are interested I don't know and, of course, it is still secret
Maybe they cannot be named until the agencies become law?...and as reinforced yesterday no one knows if agencies will become legal

Another thing Dee reassured me about is that there will be a 'consultation' on agencies so the more we make clear they are not wanted the better
and she also said we will be consulted on our new inspection framework once the agency framework for inspection is finalised

I asked her if this would be in the next 3 months and she said no...so this is a long process

I even asked her if she would do a workshop for cms ONLY...I will pursue that as I think it is time to get some targeted attention

With regards to LAs the DfE has stated and repeated it on the Wednesday conference, they will continue with support if that is what we want, however, that will probably imply at a cost

Sue Gregory spoke about the 8 Ofsted regions set up...they will also offer support to satisfactory/inadequate settings...there will be seminars
I asked her if cms would be part of that and get support but she avoided the question and concentrated on agencies
Are Ofsted going to replace LAs is supporting us? much to find out

I will try to get more info and get my hands on the conference presentations so you can read it for yourself

We need to concentrate on agencies....much of MGC is wrong but agencies deserve a place of their own and should not, in my view, get diluted with other issues or we will lose sight of them
Look what happened when we all concentrated on ratios...agencies have galloped ahead because we lost our focus on them

With regards to Prof Penn and Lloyd's report it will be published alongside the response to the Childcare Commission....Truss has said much and she has a duty to do so
In December I heard Prof Penn at a conference with Truss present say: the reforms are 'grotesque'..I was there and heard it loud and clear

Sharon Hodgson repeated her request for the report to be published only this week...it was all over twitter and in her letter to Truss when she asked her to confirm the scrapping of the ratios...that report is vital

One thing that is also clear is that we need to engage 'positively' and use diplomatic language with lots of pressure..that has been Truss' downfall: no engagement and no listening to those who matter

The Juggler
08-06-2013, 08:32 AM
I agree Simona

I will do all I can to win the fight against agencies. However, I'm just thinking if Clegg is on side, then getting him to focus on the negatives for children of all of MGC may make them fight really hard. I'm hoping if they can overturn her credibility NONE of what she is suggesting will go through.

You are right though and I'm going to write separately to my MP specifically about agencies. I was just so infuriated by what I read last night about her comments on how early year should be run :panic::panic:

Simona
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
YESSS...just got a letter from my MP, Vince Cable, Lib Dem, Minister for Business

''You will now see my party has blocked the proposal on deregulating childcare group sizes. This was in large part of the result of representations made by you and other cms, including mine to David Laws on your behalf.
We listened and acted on the advice.'' (end)

Now Cable is Minister for Business and I will write to him again on agencies, I have visited him 3 times but letters work well a you have seen...not just my voice but all cms

My objection will be that agencies will be a barrier to our businesses, will not lower costs to parents or cms, in fact they may increase them and no evidence they will work in terms of raising quality

If you write to your MP do copy Cable...our small businesses must matter to him as much as big ones
This is his email : cablev@parliament.uk

The Juggler
08-06-2013, 09:37 AM
fab Simona. Is the link to the petition at the start of this thread on FB?

Simona
08-06-2013, 09:42 AM
The only petition I have referred to is the one on the Labour Party website...you can post if you like it has ben open for more than a year
Not sure what is on FB as I am not there

I stress it is not an e-petition or online petition ...more a message of making Labour aware of our feelings and the fact cms in agencies will be deregistered