PDA

View Full Version : Apply now?

Little_steps
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi all,

I start my registration course on tues and wondering if I can get my health dec and ofsted forms completed and sent in the next couple of weeks? I know things can be held up so would like to get it shuffling along.

Also do you think I would be ready to mind by sep? I am getting enquiries from parents and would like to be able to tell them a start date so to speak.

Tia!

benandjerrys
06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
How long does your course last? Mine was for 8 weeks and I applied to Ofsted about 4 weeks in.

Emra81
06-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I submitted my ofsted form a couple of days ago and the bit you fill in about your course gives you the option to say when you'll start it so you could send it off now.

Apparently they aim to have you registered within 12 weeks but I've heard of people being registered faster than this as well as MUCH slower! If you submit your application tomorrow, 12 weeks would take you to 30th August so I think you'd have to think carefully before promising to be ready to go for September as frustrating as that is. Even then, I don't think that they start counting the 12 weeks until you've paid your fee. It's possible you could be ready for September but any hold ups with crbs or social services checks or who knows what else could put a spanner in the works :-S

sarah707
07-06-2013, 07:34 AM
The EYFS says that you must complete your training - and first aid - before you apply.

Check with your local people they might suggest something different to speed things up.

I hope it goes smoothly! Don't forget to keep us updated :D

unalindura77
07-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Dear Sarah

I applied before I have done my course.
It stated on the form when would I be doing course and I put in the future date.

I have searched wide and low to find out where it says we must first do the course before submitting the papers? Obviously I know that it has to be completed before the pre reg visit, but I didn't know it would be contrary to rules to submit the application.

Where can I find the rules? Please help!

Best wishes

sarah707
07-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Dear Sarah

I applied before I have done my course.
It stated on the form when would I be doing course and I put in the future date.

I have searched wide and low to find out where it says we must first do the course before submitting the papers? Obviously I know that it has to be completed before the pre reg visit, but I didn't know it would be contrary to rules to submit the application.

Where can I find the rules? Please help!

Best wishes

You really need to speak to your training providers and ask their advice - I know it varies depending on where you live - but the advice from my Local Authority is that they do not even give out the Ofsted application forms until people have finished the 12 week course.

There is a very high drop out rate during training and Ofsted are not prepared to do all the paperwork to then find out someone isn't interested any more.

I don't wish to worry you in any way. Just speak to your local people or Ofsted to make sure everything is going through smoothly :D

clareelizabeth1
07-06-2013, 03:39 PM
In Cambridge they wouldn't give us the packs till we had finished.

Rick
07-06-2013, 03:49 PM
You really need to speak to your training providers and ask their advice - I know it varies depending on where you live - but the advice from my Local Authority is that they do not even give out the Ofsted application forms until people have finished the 12 week course.

There is a very high drop out rate during training and Ofsted are not prepared to do all the paperwork to then find out someone isn't interested any more.

I don't wish to worry you in any way. Just speak to your local people or Ofsted to make sure everything is going through smoothly :D

It must be different depending on where you are (unless it changed in September 2012). We were given the forms near the beginning of the course and I'm sure someone had their inspection before the end of the course (rightly or wrongly) because they told me they hadn't filled out the answer booklet! In the attached page 16 it allows you to state the start dates of the course and first aid course.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloading/?file=documents/eyfsappforms/form%20EYC%20by%20hand.pdf&refer=0

Amandak28
07-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Im doing the CYPOP5 in croydon CALAT learning centre and we have been told NOT to apply until we complete the course. (Our tutor is an ex NCMA worker and ex childminding coordinator) hope this helps :-) xx

SammySplodger
07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
My LA told me not to.... but I disobeyed and still sent mine off as soon as I had completed first aid and about half way through CYPOP5. It worked out ok for me, but it was a risk! It meant I was really focused on the course, as I'd a very real deadline to meet. Personally, I need a bit of pressure otherwise I procrastinate!

I kept phoning Ofsted for progress updates and asked my referees to tell me when they were contacted. CRBs went through in only two weeks (but can take a LOT longer).

What I would say is that Ofsted can sometimes be very very slow and make mistakes - in my case they 'lost' my husband's completed CRB and wanted us to submit another application (which would have held the process up by several weeks). I complained and the CRB magically reappeared! But it added 2 weeks onto the process faffing about.
:-/

HTH :-)

Rick
07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
My LA told me not to.... but I disobeyed and still sent mine off as soon as I had completed first aid and about half way through CYPOP5. It worked out ok for me, but it was a risk! It meant I was really focused on the course, as I'd a very real deadline to meet. Personally, I need a bit of pressure otherwise I procrastinate!

I kept phoning Ofsted for progress updates and asked my referees to tell me when they were contacted. CRBs went through in only two weeks (but can take a LOT longer).

What I would say is that Ofsted can sometimes be very very slow and make mistakes - in my case they 'lost' my husband's completed CRB and wanted us to submit another application (which would have held the process up by several weeks). I complained and the CRB magically reappeared! But it added 2 weeks onto the process faffing about.
:-/

HTH :-)

Actually come to think of it, the LA did say not to send it off until the end of the course but some people didn't listen. I don't understand why they say that but nothing bad happens when people do send it off and why is there a section on Ofsted's form to ask for the start dates of the courses if you're not allowed to apply till the end :p

unalindura77
07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Actually come to think of it, the LA did say not to send it off until the end of the course but some people didn't listen. I don't understand why they say that but nothing bad happens when people do send it off and why is there a section on Ofsted's form to ask for the start dates of the courses if you're not allowed to apply till the end :p

Thanks guys:o

I received a phone call from Ofsted saying 'send us your medical questionnaire asap so we can give you an appointment for your pre-registration visit' which I was surprised at!

This is because as far as I know, they haven't contacted my referee's as yet, so will they contact them after the pre registration visit?

I really hope this doesn't affect me in any way...hope it all works out so I can start soon.:clapping:

:

CLL
07-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I put in a future date for my cypop5 end date and first aid. Ofsted called me when they were ready to inspect to make sure I had the certificates. If not they would have delayed inspection. I was also told not to apply in advance but I did it online anyway. Think the LA are just being over cautious, for what reason I do not know as you pay your admin fee anyway. I was the only one on my course to apply early the others did not want to start as quickly as I did. I think only you can judge if you will be ready in time it is a lot if hard work.

Little_steps
07-06-2013, 08:12 PM
I think I'll ask when I go on my course Tuesday, but you're right Rick, it does have a bit on ofsted form for date course will be completed! Confusing isn't it :huh: lol.

I will see what they say and maybe send off forms half way through course.

Anyone have any idea how I would word an answer to any enquiries for sep term?

Thanks for your replies xx

Rick
07-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I think I'll ask when I go on my course Tuesday, but you're right Rick, it does have a bit on ofsted form for date course will be completed! Confusing isn't it :huh: lol.

I will see what they say and maybe send off forms half way through course.

Anyone have any idea how I would word an answer to any enquiries for sep term?

Thanks for your replies xx

Just be honest and say you are available for viewings to start in September once you are registered. You may get more enquiries than you think because parents who get in first have first pick of days and times. Also a parent choosing another childminder may have to pay a retainer fee if they don't want the space until September but you wouldn't enforce that not being registered.

Little_steps
07-06-2013, 08:28 PM
:thumbsup: thanks Rick, you're a star!

A childminder almost opposite me is actually turning work away as she has no space and is sending the enquiries on to me, may not get the contracts but I chatted to her for 2 hours today so think we will be firm friends and work in partnership.

SammySplodger
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I had visits from parents while I was still registering and I gave them an approximate date and said it depended entirely on Ofsted. I updated them regularly about progress. As Rick said: be up front and honest. Also no reason why you can't advertise as 'currently registering with Ofsted, aiming to be ready by X date'. I didn't sign contracts or do any settling in until my registration came through.

It worked for me and my registration came though 2 weeks before the date I'd given parents.

Little_steps
09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks sammy.

I have a mum coming to see me next Saturday although I have told her that I'm currently registering and don't know a for def start date. She's pretty desperate as her children aren't happy at current childminders.

I won't be signing anything, just having a chat and showing her my place. I did say not to expect me to have everything as I'm still in the infancy of my new business. Am working on my policies so I'm ahead, if they need tweaking I won't have so much to do! I do need to work out a fee structure though as I'm sure the lady will want to know my fees when she comes...argh.lol.

adedwards68
09-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I phoned ofsted before I started my course an said I could apply before finishing my course but whether they start the checks before you finish or not I'm not sure. I sent mine 12 weeks ago and am only at the stage where I'm waiting for my pre reg visit, so that can then take another 4 weeks