PDA

View Full Version : Deposit not paid hellpp!!

smurfette
06-06-2013, 06:16 PM
So., have a new little one starting next week, all been a bit sudden but little one is great was here yest settling in and it was like she was always here! Mum said to me she had paid my money into bank it's only just arrived and its only fees for next week.. I didn't actually speak to her in person about deposit but its in the contract which she said she has read and is happy with (to be returned on Monday as dad hadn't signed) dad has been out of work so don't want to be too rough with them but I am worried if they ignore this they may ignore other parts of the contract ESP sickness!! How shall I phrase it?!

moggy
06-06-2013, 06:55 PM
So., have a new little one starting next week, all been a bit sudden but little one is great was here yest settling in and it was like she was always here! Mum said to me she had paid my money into bank it's only just arrived and its only fees for next week.. I didn't actually speak to her in person about deposit but its in the contract which she said she has read and is happy with (to be returned on Monday as dad hadn't signed) dad has been out of work so don't want to be too rough with them but I am worried if they ignore this they may ignore other parts of the contract ESP sickness!! How shall I phrase it?!

Did you send a written invoice for the deposit? You need to do that really, despite it being in the contract as they may have missed it. I always email invoice and then give receipt for deposit and every month's bill. Keeps it straightforward and no one can say they didn't know. I'd speak to them ASAP if it is deposit you plan to keep for the duration of the contract, if it is a deposit to save the place to be counted against first month's fees then bit late now if starting next week.

angeldelight
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
I would call her and ask if she missed that bit

Good luck with the little one

Angel xx

smurfette
07-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Ok have done her a quick email,

Told her she could pay in installments if she prefers as partner has only just gone back to work and apologised for miscommunication on my part. Didn't want to put her on spot and embarrass her by ringing her...

I don't invoice at all as everyone pays weekly and I would be always on the computer but I do receipts.. It is a deposit I want to hold Til end of contract, I have one finishing today who I was worried wouldnt pay me the full fees before he left and another who did a bunk without paying properly and I am just not putting myself through that stress again! Hopefully she will be ok about it and I won't lose the Job

smurfette
07-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks for advice btw !

lynncjt
07-06-2013, 10:51 AM
After their first visit and before they sign contracts I send parents copies of my policies and contracts by email and in the email I summarise my terms. I list out what they will have to pay per day/week and how much deposit they will have to pay and say it is due when signing the contracts. Has worked for me so far!

smurfette
07-06-2013, 11:31 AM
After their first visit and before they sign contracts I send parents copies of my policies and contracts by email and in the email I summarise my terms. I list out what they will have to pay per day/week and how much deposit they will have to pay and say it is due when signing the contracts. Has worked for me so far!

Great idea thanks a mil ..
You live and learn!

smurfette
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Happy days! Just had email back, saying sorry she hadnt noticed the deposit bit and they will pay me in installments and get it paid ASAP (I offered installment option) yay!

smurfette
07-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Yay! She emailed me and is happy to pay in installments said sorry she hadn't noticed

Petshrinklj
07-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Well done glad you got it sorted. :)

Rick
07-06-2013, 03:01 PM
That's great news. I think sometimes we jump to conclusions that parents won't pay for a malicious reason. Sometimes it's just a misunderstanding :D

shortstuff
07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
glad you got it sorted, it sets a great precedent for your working relationship x

Tealady
07-06-2013, 04:24 PM
That's great news. I think sometimes we jump to conclusions that parents won't pay for a malicious reason. Sometimes it's just a misunderstanding :D

I think it's because we hear so much on here about parents taking advantage it can cloud our judgement sometimes. I have sometimes got my knickers in a knot over something as I've seen something related on here that has had a negative outcome, then it's all been OK in the end and not a problem at all.

Still wouldn't stop coming on here though as the advice is invaluable.

Stapleton83
07-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Well done for asking for it upfront I know it can be hard but it means you are in control.

Sam x

rickysmiths
08-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I always have a meeting to sign Contracts and have the deposit paid and I ask for this to be without the child present. I am happy to go to the parents one evening to do this if babysitting is difficult.

I warn them that it will take 1-2 hours to go through everything and to sign the Contract, permissions forms etc. I usually send them the Child Info forms and All About Me before hand so they can fill it in but if not I take them and they bring them to the first settling in session. This means I can go through the Contract as we fill it in and explain the important bits especially about Deposits, Payments, Sickness, prompt delivery and collection and holidays.

It is important that the Contract is signed and all the permissions before you care for the child, even for settling in, because if you don't have a Contract in place your PL Insurance won't cover you. I'm afraid I always as for the Deposit in full at this point and make it very clear that if they choose not to use me either before the Contract starts or during the 4 weeks settling in then they loose the Deposit. I hold the Deposit until the end of the Contract when it is used to pay the four weeks notice period.

I know I may loose parents as a result of this Policy but I have had so many muck me around I had to do something and it does not put off all parents, I had a young couple sign up only last night, Deposit paid in full in cash and the child starts with one morning settling in next week, one full day the week after and then the 2 full days start the week after that. They will be paying me in cash next week for the rest of June and on 1st July for all of July and then they will be paying me via Childcare Vouchers from August.