PDA

View Full Version : Childs individual records / files

SammySplodger
06-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I have a question, sorry if obvious, just wanted to run it past someone else...

Have been reorganising files and looking at duplication and ease of finding stuff.

I have a ring binder file for each child, which is divided into sections: contact info, All About Me, Learning Journey, Obs, Asessments, Daily Diary, Invoices, Correspondence etc. Stored in a lockable metal box (which neatly fits up to 5 files).

I would like to move all completed info from the NCMA accident/incident/meds folder and keep it in these files for each child, rather than divided sections in the NCMA folder. Is there any reason why this has to be kept together?

Also, I record attendance times on my Daily Diary sheets, and also in a separate attendance register. Can't see the point in duplication. Is it ok to ditch the register and just show Mrs I that it's recorded on Daily Diary sheets all stored in individual file?

Ta :-)

mrs robbie williams
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I do it slightly differently I have Lj in own folder, personal file for each child which has all about me, accident forms, contract ,medicine forms etc and I record attendance in my personal diary, daily diaries are a5 books which go home daily xx

Zoomie
06-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Some things you have to keep, even after the child has left - like contract, accident forms, other legal paperwork etc so I would keep that kind of thing separate to LJs which may travel home periodically, or eventually go with child when they leave.

moggy
06-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Also to consider- the LJ belongs to the child/family and it can be seen as important the child has access to look at it and add to it, talk about it etc during the day while they are with you.
Not easy if it is locked away.

I lock away all confidential stuff- contracts, medical, record forms etc.

Register on Daily Diary sheet-
as long as it is clearly recorded and you keep it for the 21 years or whatever it is for insurance, I can not see the problem. Although the all-in-one register book does demonstrate that you are not going over your ratios as an inspector can easily look at overview per day/week of who was in your care. I guess your daily diary sheet is something you do yourself to keep yourself? rather then a diary that goes between home and setting? If it is going home it is not reliable to keep as only register (gets lost, tampered with etc).

SammySplodger
06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
To clarify - my Daily Diary is an A4 sheet which records stuff like food, sleep, incidents, potty training etc, has arrival and departure times top right and space for a short observation at the bottom as well. I copy this every day for each child - I keep a copy and parents have the original. The observation bit gets chopped off and stuck in the LJ (but I keep the top part separately in folder with the attendance info).

At the moment it all fits in the A4 files but I can see that the LJ will need keeping separately eventually anyway due to space. So: I will separate confidential stuff from the LJ (keep on bookshelf?).

Re: Mrs O and ratios - I have my own policy of not looking after any more than 3 children at once anyway. Or do you think I need info recording twice for 'belt & braces' (thats ehat I'm doing at the moment anyway). My last inspection I used the NCMA attendance register and Mrs O said she hated it!!! Can't win.... :-/

SammySplodger
06-06-2013, 01:53 PM
I do it slightly differently I have Lj in own folder, personal file for each child which has all about me, accident forms, contract ,medicine forms etc and I record attendance in my personal diary, daily diaries are a5 books which go home daily xx

I'll separate the two bits out like you have - hadn't thought of using my personal diary for attendance - might do this. :-)

sarah707
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I have a file with Learning Journeys and a file with children's personal paperwork.

The attendance registers are done monthly per child / the accident, medication etc as and when - they then go into the children's personal files.

That way when children leave they go with their LJ and the rest stays here.

Hth :D