PDA

View Full Version : Now what with new business?

lorettacritchet
06-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi,

This is one subject I haven't stopped asking about and was told to wait until confirmation of/if new ratios were introduced.

My garage extension is due to be finished in a week or two which means I will have more space/take on more kids. How can I do this? If ofsted aren't interested in deciding numbers anymore and I c an only do variations, how does it work that I can take on NEW BUSINESS.

FussyElmo
06-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Simply you cant increase your numbers for new business. It is staying as it is exceptional circumstances only :)

Kiddleywinks
06-06-2013, 06:28 AM
The proposed new ratios appear to have been scrapped: Breaking News: Government scraps plans to change child care ratios | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1077411/breaking-news-government-scraps-plans-change-ratios)

mama2three
06-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Unless you were restricted before and were only allowed under the 'normal' numbers ( ie less than 3 Ey , 6 u8) you're extra space will make no difference - you still cant take on extra children over the allowed ratios.

lorettacritchet
06-06-2013, 06:34 AM
I was restricted to space. I was only allowed 4 children in total with an assistant and two on my own so I haven't reached the standard maximum children allowed. I can't believe I would remain stuck on this provision even if I extended my space.

Unless you were restricted before and were only allowed under the 'normal' numbers ( ie less than 3 Ey , 6 u8) you're extra space will make no difference - you still cant take on extra children over the allowed ratios.

Rick
06-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi,

This is one subject I haven't stopped asking about and was told to wait until confirmation of/if new ratios were introduced.

My garage extension is due to be finished in a week or two which means I will have more space/take on more kids. How can I do this? If ofsted aren't interested in deciding numbers anymore and I c an only do variations, how does it work that I can take on NEW BUSINESS.

No no no you can't take on anymore children as a matter of course since the new EYFS was introduced but you now make the decision as to whether you can increase due to overarching reasons (continuity of care). If you lived in a mansion you couldn't have 20 kids! Have a read of this thread.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/118933-changing-ratios-variations-reminder.html

CLL
06-06-2013, 06:57 AM
Having a bigger house does not grant you the ability to be able to look after more children. Including your own children and that of your assistant you can have 6 early years children between you. I find it odd how you could only have 2 on your own but 4 with assistant, that sounds like a restriction due to your children and not space. If you want to go above the 6 you will need another assistant, depending on if space allows.

mama2three
06-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Ok , what does your new certificate say?
When they sent out the new ones it shouldn't have had any restrictions any more - just says in effect you need to refer to the eyfs for yourself.
So youre not restricted to the old figures. Look at the space requirements. As long as you can show that you now have space you can have youre 'up to 6'. Not sure how many extra for your assistant , maybe Ofsted will answer that one. And the 'extra' children can be new business or extended hours for the others , whatever suits!

bet youre very excited to get the extension finished! We converted our garage but it was for much needed extra bedroom space - I would love a playroom!

lorettacritchet
06-06-2013, 07:01 AM
When I originally spoke to Ofsted they were told re: garage change of use for a playroom, they mentioned I could then extend my numbers once it was done. I don't want any more than what they would have allowed me i.e. 6 under 8's on my own and 10 under 8's with an assistant due to this extension of space.

Yes at the time I had my registration done, my daughter was only a year and half old but due to go to school in September full time but also my living room, the one room the children play in isn't massive hence my numbers allowance.

Having a bigger house does not grant you the ability to be able to look after more children. Including your own children and that of your assistant you can have 6 early years children between you. I find it odd how you could only have 2 on your own but 4 with assistant, that sounds like a restriction due to your children and not space. If you want to go above the 6 you will need another assistant, depending on if space allows.

lorettacritchet
06-06-2013, 07:03 AM
I haven't got my new certificate yet. It's still pending.

Obv if youre saying this that I can look at space requirements etc surely I must do risk assessments to adjust this?

I am very excited re: playroom.

Ok , what does your new certificate say?
When they sent out the new ones it shouldn't have had any restrictions any more - just says in effect you need to refer to the eyfs for yourself.
So youre not restricted to the old figures. Look at the space requirements. As long as you can show that you now have space you can have youre 'up to 6'. Not sure how many extra for your assistant , maybe Ofsted will answer that one. And the 'extra' children can be new business or extended hours for the others , whatever suits!

bet youre very excited to get the extension finished! We converted our garage but it was for much needed extra bedroom space - I would love a playroom!

Optimalstar
06-06-2013, 07:06 AM
I think the OP was asking how they remove the restrictions put on them on account of the available space. If i understand correctly they're only allowed 4 children under 8 max?? Where as with additional space it may be possible to have 6 under 8. Have I got that right?

If that is the question I don't have the answer but I'd be calling Ofsted. I'm not sure if they're supposed to check out your new space or if that is just for new extensions?? Someone more informed will no doubt correct that x

mama2three
I haven't got my new certificate yet. It's still pending.

Obv if youre saying this that I can look at space requirements etc surely I must do risk assessments to adjust this?

I am very excited re: playroom.

Yes , just risk assess. You would need to do this for the new rooms anyway.
I think you need to give Ofsted a ring if youre still working to your old certificate restrictions. They either need to change it or rush through the new 'restriction free' certificate. for goodness sake I know it takes time but the new eyfs came in 10 months or so ago!!

Optimalstar
Oh too late in replying lol i take too long to type x

hectors house
06-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Ms Truss had planned on scrapping the "floor space" restrictions, don't know what is happening with that idea - but surely if you had a restriction placed on your setting because you were short of space and now you have addressed that issue by creating an extra playroom then you can work to your maximum of 3 under 5 and so can your assistant.

You need to risk assess your new rooms and write to Ofsted telling them you intend to use this space - they may come out and inspect it but didn't bother when I converted part of my garage into a playroom. Enjoy your new space - share some pics with us when it is all new and tidy - before the lo's get in there and mess it all up!

sarah707
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
If I were you I'd contact Ofsted once the playroom is finished.

Do the calculations first - there is some guidance here - Space Requirements - EYFS 2012 (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/spacerequirementseyfs2012.html)

Do RAs etc as well - and see if they will change your certificate.

Hopefully it will all go smoothly :D