PDA

View Full Version : Child affraid of Dogs

Lcdcl
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Hi, I am looking for some advice, I have had a child start with me this week and he has a fear of dogs and unfortunately I have a dog. His parents want him to overcome this fear so is happy with me having a dog but the child literally goes mad, and will not go anywhere near the dog, and he screams and gets quite uncontrollable. I don't want to have to keep my dog locked away in a room everyday. I have explained that to the parents and they agree, I just don't know how to handle this, he sees all the other children playing with the dog so he know shes a nice, he sees me looking after her. If someone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Jiorjiina
05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Is he with you all day? Honestly, if it's so bad that he gets uncontrollable then he shouldn't be at a childminders with a dog. I have a big and bouncy dog, and a couple of children I've looked after haven't been used to dogs, so they were a little uneasy to begin with, but that sounds genuinely phobic.

Is your dog bothered by the screaming? Perhaps if you hold him and sit on one side of the room while your dog is quietly lying on the other side, and just cuddle him and reassure him until he calms down? (It would probably take a while though...)

How does he react to a cuddly toy dog? Perhaps he could practise looking after his own 'dog' at home?

CLL
06-06-2013, 06:07 AM
I really do not think this is good for the child. I would not like my worst fears pushed upon me like this when starting a new place. He must be terrified. Is there nowhere in the house that is dog free? Could the boy maybe play in the living room and you have a stair gate on the door so he can see the dog but know he will not be jumped on. I can not really see another way around it, it is not really fair to him or the dog. If parents want him to overcome his fear they could try themselves to help him, not just leave him with you and a dog and hope he gets over it.

Becci26
06-06-2013, 06:27 AM
If the child has a fear of dogs u really need to be introducing child to the dog gently, if the dog is around him all the time and being lively it could make the fear worse rather than better.

I would keep the child and dog seperate, gradually introducing each other in small steps, these things take time to overcome :-)

FussyElmo
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
if he is that scared of the dog then I don't think you are the right childminder for him. Anymore than I would be. The poor little thing is going to be unsettled all the time in case the dog gets to him.

emma04
06-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi, I am looking for some advice, I have had a child start with me this week and he has a fear of dogs and unfortunately I have a dog. His parents want him to overcome this fear so is happy with me having a dog but the child literally goes mad, and will not go anywhere near the dog, and he screams and gets quite uncontrollable. I don't want to have to keep my dog locked away in a room everyday. I have explained that to the parents and they agree, I just don't know how to handle this, he sees all the other children playing with the dog so he know shes a nice, he sees me looking after her. If someone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you

I began looking after a little boy who was absolutely terrified of dogs and my dwarf rabbits! The dog bit wasn't too bad as I don't have one, but on the school run we saw lots!! However, with the rabbits, it was different. They roam free in the garden and he would literally climb the walls and scream to get away from them. This is going to sound very harsh, but I ignored his behaviour and spoke to him in a normal voice and discussed our plans for the day etc. (not mentioning or referring to his fear or the rabbits at all!) Within two weeks he was helping me to feed them and even stroked one, albeit very gingerly!

This child just needs a bit of the same. I have a friend who's daughter is 12 and absolutely terrified of any dog because her mum has kept her away from them. She now wishes she'd dealt with it better as her daughter does get embarrassed when with friends, due to her reactions around dogs.

I support the parents decision to face their child's fear head on! It was very brave of them to place him with you.

Just persevere and if possible only allow the dog around the child for short period and gradually increase the time. I don't advise placing the dog on a lead, even if he is jumpy, as this can manifest in to the dog thinking he's going to be placed on a lead every time he sees the child......creating a role reversal (dog afraid of child!!!)

Good luck:thumbsup:

SammySplodger
06-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Loads of good advice here already...

Had similar situation myself and used stairgates / room dividers to separate dog from child (which I do anyway when it's appropriate). I have never shut my dog away. Mine is not big or bouncy but quite barky / noisy. So we played lots of barking games, music and books with 'woof woof'.

I found the child has just gradually got used to my dog - took a few weeks though. He's now able to stroke her occasionally, but still slightly nervous. But a big improvement of the freaking out early on.

Oh and when we walk her I let him 'hold' the lead in the buggy (he's not really holding it - I am, but it's an extra long one so I don't think he realises). Makes him feel important! :-)

angeldelight
06-06-2013, 08:49 AM
if he is that scared of the dog then I don't think you are the right childminder for him. Anymore than I would be. The poor little thing is going to be unsettled all the time in case the dog gets to him.

I agree with Fussy

Hope he manages to overcome his fear

Scared of dogs myself although I had one ha

It can be really scary

Let us know how it goes

Angel xx

VeggieSausage
06-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I agree with what has been said - I think that he needs to be gradually introduced to a dog rather than full on right from the beginning....shame though :(

supermumy
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I agree If he is that scared he should be somewhere with no dogs
My little one is scared of dogs to the point she screams and becomes stiff it is not good to force a child to like something they obviously have a fear off :(