PDA

View Full Version : Ratios & Siblings

Keeley77
05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry I expect this has probably been asked a million times... but here we go anyway lol

I have had an enquiry regarding two siblings 14mths and 3yrs. I will have one space available from Sept (one of my spaces is filled by my own two year old - not particullarly relevant.) The parent is really keen for them to come to me. Can I offer them a place as they are sibblings or will have to say that I can't due to ratio's. (would make my total early years children at 4)

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Look forward to receiving your responses

:D

Nicola Carlyle
05-06-2013, 07:17 PM
If I've read it right then no you can't because it is classed as new business. If you already looked after one of the children and then mum asked if you had space for the other one then yes you could because it would be classed as continuity of care for the sibling. Does that make sense? I'm sure that's right but will stand corrected if not. Not been minding long so use this site a lot for advice and I believe what I have said to you is correct through previous posts etc. x

loocyloo
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
hi, i'm sorry to tell you that as you only have one under 5 vacancy, that you do not have space to take on siblings as new business.

IF ratio changes were to go ahead, then it would be fine, but until such times, it is not possible.

if you look in the free resources tab on the pink header of the forum, and then click on free downloads, about half way down on left hand side is a section on 'variations'. there are a coupel of articles there which will help you.

xx

Keeley77
06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
So doesn't that mean that I could just say to mum, bring one sibbling to start with, then in month's time I could take on the other one?... Not that I intend on doing that mind you!! lol

Rick
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
So doesn't that mean that I could just say to mum, bring one sibbling to start with, then in month's time I could take on the other one?... Not that I intend on doing that mind you!! lol

Technically yes, that's where the issue is I suppose. How long is reasonable to wait? One day, one month?

sskent08
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
sorry to hijack your thread can I ask if I would be allowed to do this:

I have my own son he is 3 years old then the following:

Mon - off
Tues - J - 14 months
Wed - H - 24 months
Thurs - J - 14 months - same as tues
Fri - B - 18 months

I have a three year old starting in July wed,thur,fri - which is fine as I only have one minded child and my son
then he has a baby sister that will start with me in November 6 months old, which will be ok as continuity of care as I will be looking after brother

but I have now had J's parents (currently attends tues & Thurs) say that when they move at some point over the next few months just had offers accepted on houses, that want me to have him tues,wed,thurs & fri

could I do this as it would be mean I have 5 under 5

it would be all continuity of care

thanks for your help

Chatterbox Childcare
06-06-2013, 12:37 PM
sorry to hijack your thread can I ask if I would be allowed to do this:

I have my own son he is 3 years old then the following:

Mon - off
Tues - J - 14 months
Wed - H - 24 months
Thurs - J - 14 months - same as tues
Fri - B - 18 months

I have a three year old starting in July wed,thur,fri - which is fine as I only have one minded child and my son
then he has a baby sister that will start with me in November 6 months old, which will be ok as continuity of care as I will be looking after brother

but I have now had J's parents (currently attends tues & Thurs) say that when they move at some point over the next few months just had offers accepted on houses, that want me to have him tues,wed,thurs & fri

could I do this as it would be mean I have 5 under 5

it would be all continuity of care

thanks for your help

Yes you could if you adhere to the regulations under eyfs, space etc.. but really would you want 5 under 5 on your own and be able to meet each ones individual needs?

k1rstie
06-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Technically yes, that's where the issue is I suppose. How long is reasonable to wait? One day, one month?

Great question. Surely taking a child on now, knowing you will be taking a sibling on after a period of time is taking on new business? The same as taking a child on one day a week now, knowing that in September, their hours will change again , and go to full time.

These are planned circumstances not exceptional circumstances.

sskent08
06-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes you could if you adhere to the regulations under eyfs, space etc.. but really would you want 5 under 5 on your own and be able to meet each ones individual needs?

Thanks debs,

I think it would be ok as my son is at pre-school in the mornings with the other 3 year old, so I would be looking after the 3 smaller ones am, then the three year old and baby sister will be collect at 3pm at school, then the others leave at 4.30

J is term time only, so in school holidays I would have four

so I would only have them all 12-3, so lunch then sleep quite time with the little ones sleeping upstairs and the two 3 year old downstairs having quite time

sskent08
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Great question. Surely taking a child on now, knowing you will be taking a sibling on after a period of time is taking on new business? The same as taking a child on one day a week now, knowing that in September, their hours will change again , and go to full time.

These are planned circumstances not exceptional circumstances.

difficult call, I am only signing contracts for older child now, the baby has only just been born, she may not decide to go back to work for another year?!