PDA

View Full Version : Photos of exsiting injuries

Helly Belly
05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi are we allowed to take a photo of an existing injury I have lo just turned up and he had rash that has turned to excema (sp) and he has scratched it and it looks terrible , I have no safe guarding concerns but feel need to cover myself, will put in exsiting injury section and get signature

bunyip
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
I'd say no harm in photographing an injury, and it may indeed turn out to be critical evidence if Social Care become involved. But if it were an intimate area of the body, I'd want to contact Social Care and my LSCB for advice first.

QualityCare
05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Has he been diagnosed as having eczema, a rash doesn't turn into eczema because it has been scratched, he needs to see a Dr get it confirmed and get the appropriate cream, if he has been diagnosed make sure parents give you his creams they should know he scratches so you shouldn't need to photograph it but may be note it on existing injury form.

bunyip
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Tbh, if it's eczema I don't know that I'd describe it as an "existing injury". It's a medical condition. Only needs a record for safeguarding if you believe it is going untreated, and therefore implies neglect. That doesn't sound like the case here though.

Helly Belly
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Tbh, if it's eczema I don't know that I'd describe it as an "existing injury". It's a medical condition. Only needs a record for safeguarding if you believe it is going untreated, and therefore implies neglect. That doesn't sound like the case here though.

Thank you the existing injury would be the scratches H

Helly Belly
05-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Has he been diagnosed as having eczema, a rash doesn't turn into eczema because it has been scratched, he needs to see a Dr get it confirmed and get the appropriate cream, if he has been diagnosed make sure parents give you his creams they should know he scratches so you shouldn't need to photograph it but may be note it on existing injury form.

Sorry didn't make it clear, yes had diagnose of eczema and got cream , and rash been treated with antibs, but think eczema come over rash and the two made lo scratch H thanks again all

sarah707
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Ds used to wake up with his pyjamas stuck to his skin from scratching so much. We had to put him in the bath to soak them off, gently wash away the blood and then put his creams on and wrap them in bandages which gave him some relief for an hour or so.

I wouldn't have appreciated anyone taking a photo of it to be honest with you.

He has a diagnosed medical condition - the itch causes the scratch causes the damage causes more itching.

You will find lots of help on this website - : National Eczema Society (http://www.eczema.org/)

Hth :D

sing-low
05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
At my last safeguarding training, they said not to take photos of existing injuries. You can use a body map instead.

Helly Belly
05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
At my last safeguarding training, they said not to take photos of existing injuries. You can use a body map instead.

Thank you I did do existing injury and body map and mum happy that there was a record in place , lo wasn't bothered all day about his poorlies and had such fun !

vickylou
05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I would say no we are not allowed, we certainly weren't four years ago. I took on two children who left a childminder because she was investigated by Ofsted as she had taken a photograph of an injury one of them had. They were under SS at the time and she thought she was doing the right thing, but she got in a lot of trouble from both Ofsted and SS