PDA

View Full Version : Books

NickyKD
04-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Good morning everyone

I am working alongside nursery at school where 3 of my mindees attend and covering the same topics as them. I need some book ideas as have drawn a blank on some topics. Luckily I have the nurseries medium term planning so know what topics are coming up.

Main term topic is 'places we visit,

This week is Farms so I have thought of 'pig in the pond' and 'a squash and a squeeze'
Next is Safari/zoo - 'dear zoo'
Then it is health and fitness week for the whole school - handas surprise, can't use hungry caterpillar as did a months worth of mini beasts before half term
Following that is the seaside - no idea!
Lastly is under the sea - tiddler

Also if you ave any craft ideas for these that would be great. I have loads of ideas and google is great but sometimes things that others have tried and tested are better.

Thank you

murrayspud
04-06-2013, 07:33 AM
The seaside - you could have a look at "The singing mermaid" by Julia Donaldson - a lovely book that you could discuss the seaside in the pictures etc. Plus you could make your own seaside pictures - sand stuck on paper with glue, blue paint for sea and add fish, sunshine, cliffs maybe, seagulls, people, buckets and spades, sandcastles etc - mixing textures and techniques.

Hope that helps

Kathryn x

murrayspud
04-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Oh, and under the sea you could make cardboard fish mobile covered the fish in foil then go mad with the glitter - if the weather stays nice you could do this outside and then there is very little mess too :-)

Kathryn x

hectors house
04-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh, and under the sea you could make cardboard fish mobile covered the fish in foil then go mad with the glitter - if the weather stays nice you could do this outside and then there is very little mess too :-)

Kathryn x

Rainbow Fish book

We did an under the sea topic and we borrowed loads of books from library but I can't find my list of the books we borrowed. Do a search on amazon and then check at your library which ones they stock or can order in for you - at our library you don't have to pay to order children's books. We had stories about crabs, starfish, seals, whales, etc

for your zoo topic - we currently have a library book called Wild about books - about a mobile library who sets up in the zoo!

Stapleton83
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi,

Ok in terms of the animals one there is a great book called, "Monkey and me" and it's about a little girl who takes her toy monkey to the zoo

Re the seaside we are starting that one now and there is a nice little Miffy book the exact title of which I can't remember but in terms of activities I have the following planned:

- Using the sand pit to make sandcastles etc but also to talk about how it feels what it is like with the older ones

- sticks with fish on as if we have been fishing on the sea as a craft

- painted footprints on paper with a little bit of sand so it looks as if they have walked along the beach

- mermaid craft

- jellyfish craft (half a paper plate covered in foil, some eyes and some other paper or bubble wrap to make legs) this can also be adapted to make an octopus if you would prefer

- Water like the sea and using it to pour and discover what happens when when we paint on the slabs with it!

Hope that helps.

Sam x

watgem
04-06-2013, 10:41 AM
For the seaside you could read sharing a shell (julia donaldson) and rainbow fish,sorry cant remember the author,both lovely for suporting psed and lovely pictures

Tinkerbell1979
04-06-2013, 12:12 PM
We painted sea shells last week x

NickyKD
04-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Thank you, there is some great ideas. Will definitely be taking a trip to the library.