PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - behaviour management

handeme
03-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Good Morning

I am looking for some advice.

I have a three year old mindee that is being particularly challenging at the moment.

On Friday he spat on my sofa and proceeded to rub it in and was generally disruptive all day. For example I sat activities up and he just stomped his way through them, spoiling everyone else's time.

I told his parents on collection, he went wild when Dad arrived and started to scream, shout and grab my little boy.

Over he weekend he has been challenging for his parents, drawing on the walls etc.

So today he arrives swearing, it's either 'for gods sake' for f&@*s sake. We are outside enjoying the weather doing Father's Day crafts. The first time said it, I warned him, the second time I removed him from the activity and the third time I took him inside.

What would you do? I really don't want the other children picking up on it and I don't want other people overhearing this behaviour.

Joda
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh gosh, that's hard for you! I think wherever you can (and within reason - this is the hard bit!) try to ignore the bad behaviour and concentrate on the positive points - however small! I had a mindee who displayed the same sort of behaviour when he was 3 - parents spoke to HV and she advised ignoring all bad behaviour as in her opinion it was very attention seeking behaviour. He grew out of it and is a lovely 6 year old now!

Is anything going on at home with your mindee to cause his behaviour?

handeme
03-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure.

I am just so concerned about the other children picking up on it. They are all of a similar age and are at the copying stage. I certainly don't swear so he is picking it up from home.

I do agree to ignore it but what's happens if he just continues to use it. I ignored him for a period this morning and he still continued.

X

Amandak28
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi ive not any experience as im not registered yet.
Have you thought about doing an activity based on feeling and emotions? Then give the children a laminated faces and they can choose if they are happy sad etc obviously taylor this to age and stage... And you could maybe do an observation on that child over a few day to see if you can spot a trigger?? Then distract before the swearing?

Good luck!

Ps google is a great tool! Xxx

Kirstylob
03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I like the idea of emotions pictures. Good luck.

donna porter
03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
It sounds like your doing the right things. What about a reward chart?? Are we allowed to use those ????

handeme
03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I've today made a jack and the beanstalk reward chart to use. I am not hopeful it will work.

We used to have a simple four step reward chart it worked well for a couple of weeks then he wasn't bothered.

X