PDA

View Full Version : Childminding and aninmals

Smileyface
02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Good evening people just wondering what you thoughts were on my hubby wanting to get a snake? Do you think would put Potential parents off? It will obviously be a child friendly one and we two many year ago before I was minding...
The mother of a boy I look after now was very wary of my cat... So was thinking a snake would defiantly worry her
Thank you for your thoughts

VeggieSausage
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I am not a snake fan as a pet as I think its cruel so it would put me off....

Nicola Carlyle
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Personal opinion I guess. I had snakes come to visit us at the setting as a treat and e wry one was fine with it. It's not like the snake would be slithering around all day in amongst the children so I would be fine it but everyone will have their own opinion regardless. X

FussyElmo
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM
A few minders on here have snakes in their household :thumbsup:

Personally I suppose where it would depend on where it lived :D

munch149
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM
I think any pet has the potential to put certain parents off but most will be fine with it. I have a dog which for many is off putting but I have pretty much always been full so it hasn't stopped me getting work. Maybe talk to your current parents before you buy if you are worried about losing them. That way if they want to leave and put still going to go ahead you can give them some notice

nikki thomson
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I think it would be fine, snakes can be very small and the kids actually like holding them (at the pet store) I don't own one. I think what you need to get across with parents is that it's not a 6 ft boa that's going to eat there little darling for breakfast, lol. X

singingcactus
02-06-2013, 07:30 PM
I have 3. They live in my lounge. They have never put anyone off.

It is not cruel in the slightest to keep snakes, as long as you have a good knowledge of their husbandry and are willing to spend big bucks meeting all their needs. My snakes are very happy chaps and do not in any way suffer any cruelty at all!! If you want to pm me at all veggiesausage I will answer any of your concerns as to why you think it is cruel, or I am cruel to keep my snakes.

~Grasshopper~
02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
it would put me off if im honest and i also wouldnt choose a minder with a dog. just my opinion as a mum though.

Before we got our kitten i asked all my parents if they were happy for me to get her, i didnt want it to cause problems but they were all happy to have a cat about.

im sure plenty of people will think its a positive thing though x

xx

Rolacolapink
02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
It wouldnt put me off it's great for kids to learn about different animals and to see them up close and help take care of them.

I have a cat, fish and guinea pigs and all my parents love the fact we have animals because then they dont have to get them! :)

The Juggler
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM
i have to say i think given the foibles of many parents and especially sensitive first time parents I'd not want to put ANYTHING in the way of getting work and I think snakes might just have that effect.

I know the loveliest minder who is fab and does have waiting list by recommendation from other parents BUT she admitted to me that 75% of parents not by recommendation are put off by her (very huge) dog. I don't personally have a problem with snakes but I think many parents might. :panic:

Tinkerbell1979
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
As long as it was taken out during working hours i can't see it's a problem

Tinkerbell1979
02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Personal opinion I guess. I had snakes come to visit us at the setting as a treat and e wry one was fine with it. It's not like the snake would be slithering around all day in amongst the children so I would be fine it but everyone will have their own opinion regardless. X

How do you arrange snakes to visit?

charlottenash
02-06-2013, 09:32 PM
As a parent the only pet I'd be happy with is a fish. I'm not an animal lover and would have various worries about different pets. However I think you should go for it, you may find it draws some in, some will be happy with a pet like this. I've considered chickens but I'm scared of the foxes although I've never seen them around here.

bindy
02-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't have any animals ( house too small) but I think its good for children to be around animals. I had a dog and a cat growing up. My child loves, loves animals, I take her to see family most weekends in the summer, just so she can experience being around them. Between my brothers and sister, they have horses, dogs,cat, chickens, fish in a pond, rabbits and yes a snake! she is so caring towards them, enjoys feeding, taking out for walks etc. Don't they say children who grow up around pets become better adults?

clareelizabeth1
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
I think they are a safe pet. They are kept locked up no child would ever have access without supervision.

It's cats that would put me off they just go every where are so quick with scratching. I went some where the other day and watched their cat bum scutch across the kitchen surface. Can you tell I can't stand them. The cat that adopted me lives in the barn.

Dogs might put me off too even though I have three myself. I always explain to parents that the children do not spend time with the dogs they do meet them but they are kept away unless I can have 100% attention on them. I don't like seeing dogs and children playing together without adults watching. I don't even leave the room when ds is strapped in highchair without bring dogs with me.

Back to snakes go for it they are amazing creatures.

Amandak28
03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I have to be honest i would be very weary if someone had a snake, but im not keen on them generlly.
I would either call ofsted or see if you can find the list of animls allowed and not allowed in a childminding setting.

I have 2 cats and already have received mixed feedback! Im not even registered yet lol.

Good luck with your disiscion :-) xx

Daftbat
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Sorry but I would be put off - I don't like them at all but that's not to say others would feel like me. I think with everything we do it will suit some parents more than others. Have a word with them - you may be worrying for nothing.

bunyip
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm not at all keen on any form of livestock in the house. That aside, why not a snake?

Have to say I'v never been kept awake at night by some moronic neighbour's snake barking nor spent time wiping reptile sh1t off my soles. :rolleyes:

lubeam
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I think any animal can be both a deterrent and a selling point with parent ! I no my lo's mum said oh you've got a dog great! Our dog died 3 months ago and (the lo) has been begging me to get another but with goin back full time we just couldn't !

We've also got a lizard in the lads room and lo said yea mummy and the boys have got a crocodile!! Lol :)

Each to there own I suppose :) good luck with your decision

FussyElmo
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I think any animal can be both a deterrent and a selling point with parent ! I no my lo's mum said oh you've got a dog great! Our dog died 3 months ago and (the lo) has been begging me to get another but with goin back full time we just couldn't !

We've also got a lizard in the lads room and lo said yea mummy and the boys have got a crocodile!! Lol :)

Each to there own I suppose :) good luck with your decision

This I agree with :thumbsup:

Parents will either come to you with animals or they wont. Im lucky my mindees parents all love the fact that we have animals because they don't :thumbsup: They will also actively help to persuade dh when I need another addition to the family. Really want another dog but no room, a micro pig but Im aiming for a chinchilla :D

Kirstylob
03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
We have a cat and that's never.put anyone off. I think it would depend on where the snake would be during the day. Maybe upstairs away from the children would put parents mind at ease.

Helen79
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
We have lizards but they're kept upstairs. They don't bite but are very jumpy so the mindees don't handle them. We occasionally go to look at them but they sleep in the day so are pretty boring for the mindees to watch.
Some parents will like the snake but it may put some parents off. I wouldn't use a cm with a dog but would be happy to leave my kids with a cm who owned a snake.

I used to worry what parents thought but I've stopped putting my life on hold for my childminding business. You're never going to be able to please every parent so I'd get the snake. If your mindee is wary of the cat he might be happier with a pet that's in a cage and can't touch him. Maybe look at some photos and videos online to gauge his reaction.

Daisy De
03-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I would have the snake, surely its not going to be wandering around or swallowing children whole so unless someone has a fear of snakes in theory it should put less people off than cats or dogs. I have two cats and two big dogs, the cats are by far more unpredictable than the dogs and we tend to operate a no touch policy when they are around although being cats they tend to stay out the way anyway.

Its swings and roundabouts some people like animals some people don't. I tend to think I'm offering a home environment and the animals are a huge part of that, luckily I'm full so there must be plenty of people out there who want their children to grow up around animals, even snakes :)

munch149
04-06-2013, 06:51 AM
I think they are a safe pet. They are kept locked up no child would ever have access without supervision.

It's cats that would put me off they just go every where are so quick with scratching. I went some where the other day and watched their cat bum scutch across the kitchen surface. Can you tell I can't stand them. The cat that adopted me lives in the barn.

Dogs might put me off too even though I have three myself. I always explain to parents that the children do not spend time with the dogs they do meet them but they are kept away unless I can have 100% attention on them. I don't like seeing dogs and children playing together without adults watching. I don't even leave the room when ds is strapped in highchair without bring dogs with me.

Back to snakes go for it they are amazing creatures.

I'm not a cat lover either lol. They are cute and cuddly but also sneaky and gross. Everyone seems to keep litter boxes in the kitchen yuk and they climb all over kitchen surfaces. More germy in my opinion. Dogs are also trained where as cats do what they like and I think my daughter is more likely to get harmed by a cat than a dog it's just that the consequences aren't necessarily so great if it happens.

SammySplodger
04-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I was a CM for 3 years with no pets and now I have a (small) dog. I have noticed a slight decrease in enquiries / take-up as a result. To be expected though.... I make it very obvious we have a dog on my website and mention her straight away on the phone (so I don't waste any time on phone if they are 'dog-haters').

BUT.... The other thing I have noticed is that my current parents are generally more easy-going and less 'fussy' generally. Which is a good thing, in my book!

adedwards68
04-06-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm an animal lover, although I have no pets at the moment but personally as a parent it would perhaps put me off if it was kept in a room where my child would be. The same with dogs, grew up with them, but would still be wary as you never know if a dog will turn on a child, however child friendly. As I said before that's my personally opinion, some parents won't be bothered by pets others could be put off but it's your house so keep what pets you like

clareelizabeth1
04-06-2013, 11:54 AM
This I agree with :thumbsup:

Parents will either come to you with animals or they wont. Im lucky my mindees parents all love the fact that we have animals because they don't :thumbsup: They will also actively help to persuade dh when I need another addition to the family. Really want another dog but no room, a micro pig but Im aiming for a chinchilla :D

Micro pigs actually get really big. I keep pigs but eat them when they get too big. The children all love eating them and always want to know who we are eating.

Jods
04-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Blimey I must own a zoo - I have 4 cats, 1 kitten, 2 dogs, 1 gerbil, 11 chickens and not at my home 5 horses/pony's x I have never had any problems with my pets/parents, you are working from your own home, and whilst its good to keep your parents views in mind, its your home and you fill it with what ever you desire. Snakes are great pets, but are a little too high maintenance for me (she says with horses!! doh!!) ;)

munch149
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Micro pigs actually get really big. I keep pigs but eat them when they get too big. The children all love eating them and always want to know who we are eating.

Wow I'm surprised the kids deal with that do well. I suppose if its normal they think nothing of it. No chance of that in this house tho

scottishlass
04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I have a pet parrot and all the kids love her - so far he hasn't put any parents off! X