PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this sounds dodgy?

sskent08
02-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Hello,

I received the following email:

I need your service in June for 2 weeks. Let me know if you are
> available and you could handle it for this period.
>
> Kindly reply me with detail information so I can furnish you with
> necessary details as well. I am looking forward to your reply.

I ask for more info regarding hours/days/age of children - get this:

Thank you for the prompt response. Please be inform that I will be around by June 12th for two weeks, your service will be needed for two weeks from (June 14 - June 26) and your service is only needed from Mon-Fri only and you will babysit them from 9:00am - 1:00pm.

I can drop them with you. My kids Anne and Aron 4 and 6 years old respectively. I will be happy if you can let me know your charges on both of them. The Kids are potty trained and they are not allergy to food or anything.

I want you to get back to me with your total estimate for the two weeks, to enable me secure your booking prior to my arrival, Get back to me, as I am rounding off plans and allotting money to issues that should be settled prior to my arrival. Your fast respond is important, to enable me send you a deposit to secure your booking prior to my arrival.

Once again I need you to take care of them like your own kids.

I await for your response

thought ok they sound like they might not be English so ask a few more questions:
>
>
then get this:

I will be in an Hotel. Just the hours is when my kids will be alone.

They both speak and understand English, I am sure you would not have any problem.

Do you think it sounds iffy?

I have replied saying no I can't!

thanks

Sarah

Rick
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Yes definitely. These threads have exactly the same wording

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/just-members/119374-who-thinks-scam.html

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/119551-hoax-real.html

Steer well clear. Do these people think we don't talk to each other......idiots! :angry:

sskent08
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks Rick, thought it sounded off

also found that thread , thank you

you wouldn't give your bank details like that would you!

Yes definitely. These threads have exactly the same wording

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/just-members/119374-who-thinks-scam.html

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/119551-hoax-real.html

Steer well clear. Do these people think we don't talk to each other......idiots! :angry:

Rick
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks Rick, thought it sounded off

also found that thread , thank you

you wouldn't give your bank details like that would you!

Of course not! I reckon everyone with an email should play a trick on these people! :angry:

smurfette
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Ha! I have just received this in Dublin from a gumtree ad! This person is very busy travelling!!

lizduncan72
02-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm starting to feel left out cos I've not had this email yet!!

Rick
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
If I get it I'll give 'em what for :angry:

adedwards68
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I had a similar email this morning

available and you could handle it for this period.

Kindly reply me with detail information so I can furnish you with
necessary details as well.

I am looking forward to your reply.
Regards.
Sharon

I'm in high Wycombe, bucks

Rick
03-06-2013, 04:33 PM
I had a similar email this morning

available and you could handle it for this period.

Kindly reply me with detail information so I can furnish you with
necessary details as well.

I am looking forward to your reply.
Regards.
Sharon

I'm in high Wycombe, bucks

Where have I heard that before :laughing::angry:

WibbleWobble
03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Where have I heard that before :laughing::angry:

this sharon seems to be in lots of places at the same time.....

wibble the confused

Rick
03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
this sharon seems to be in lots of places at the same time.....

wibble the confused

She probably thinks by emailing different people around the country (UK in fact) that she won't be caught out!

smurfette
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
She probably thinks by emailing different people around the country (UK in fact) that she won't be caught out!

And in Ireland don't forget!!

Rick
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
And in Ireland don't forget!!

I did think of you but forgot Ireland isn't in UK.....my bad :laughing:

butterfly
12-06-2013, 08:42 AM
I've been scammed with this email this week too :( Feel a bit stupid! I replied and asked for more info. Got told she was attending a seminar. I quoted her £400 which she said she would send. Then she said her secretary had overpaid me and that I needed to deposit the cheque and send the rest to a store where she had ordered equipment for her kids. This morning I had a very impatient email from her saying had I deposited the cheque!

What a fool!

Mouse
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I've been scammed with this email this week too :( Feel a bit stupid! I replied and asked for more info. Got told she was attending a seminar. I quoted her £400 which she said she would send. Then she said her secretary had overpaid me and that I needed to deposit the cheque and send the rest to a store where she had ordered equipment for her kids. This morning I had a very impatient email from her saying had I deposited the cheque!

What a fool!

Oh dear. You haven't actually received & deposited a cheque have you?

Mouse
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM

I very much doubt it's a "she". It's more likely a gang, sat at their computers sending out endless emails. They won't care if they get caught as they'll be impossible to trace and will just disappear. There's a good chance they're not even in this country.

Supernanny86
12-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I very much doubt it's a "she". It's more likely a gang, sat at their computers sending out endless emails. They won't care if they get caught as they'll be impossible to trace and will just disappear. There's a good chance they're not even in this country.

I bet they're not in this country!! If they are but they're not traceable just like you say!! :(

butterfly
12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Oh dear. You haven't actually received & deposited a cheque have you?

No I haven't received anything. 'She' only said she sent it on Monday so it wouldn't have arrived already.

Mouse
12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Well, hopefully you won't actually hear anymore about it.

The same scam seems to crop up every year or so. Luckily we were warned about it a few years ago after a childminder was scammed for a couple of thousand pounds. From what I remember money was sent by bank transfer, but for way too much. The cm sent a refund for the rest, but the original payment was then reversed so no money ever went into her account. I think she lost about £2000.

I guess this is similar in that you'd pay a cheque in, transfer the balance to a third party, then find the cheque bounces.