PDA

View Full Version : how many do you mind and manage?

Mia73
31-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Hiya, just wondered how many do you mind during a day and how many do you feel is reasonable number to manage by yourself...? inc. before and after school children? Or if you took too many and needed to reduce your numbers...Just received loads of enquiries for September and don't wanna take too many on...x

Rick
31-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Must be nice to be popular! Obviously don't take on more than you feel comfortable with it but at least you can choose who you want. Ask a few parents over for a viewing and take it from there. Some enquiries will fizzle out, that's life!

I personally don't do before or after schoolies, I have three EY children every day though and that's enough for me!

smurfette
31-05-2013, 08:07 PM
I hear you! Loads of enquiries for sept at the mo, and three children up in the air., one maybe moving house, one maybe going to Montessori and one on a temp contract ., may all be gone by then or all still here I don't know!!

Very much depends on children.. Last year I often had four but three of these were three year olds and one was two.. This year I have mostly under 18 months and find two of these is enough plus the three year old.. In my ideal world I would have three, don't mind the fourth for an odd half day here or there

Don't do schoolies anymore, my own girls are 7.9 and 11, and are great with the small ones but the boy I had after school was a nightmare, always rushing around the house not minding the babies and couldn't keep him quiet while they napped etc .. A lot of minders find it hard to mix schoolies with Littlies but again that's personal choice! Good luck!

Mia73
31-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes it nice to know there is more business out there if needed lol! My own daughter is 6y and I look after two boys 1 and 3, have after schoolies on Tuesday and Wednesday,and before schoolies on Wednesday,Thursday and Friday...Have promised to take one new 2y old on from Mon-Thurs.Have to see how it goes...thanks!

jellytots2912
31-05-2013, 08:19 PM
I have 8 some days their ages are 1,3,3,4,6,7,11,13 they can be a handful and we don't go out alot as I am too scared to lose one and I must look crazy cause I am always watching them and counting x but we get by x

donna porter
31-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I have my own 3 children and I did have 3 minded children but one has left as her mum had another baby. I'm only allowed a total of 6 children. I have one place but I'm not looking to fill it. I'm busy enough :-)

Kiddleywinks
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
During school time I'm relatively quiet as mine all are part timers, with no more than 4 at any one time.
School holidays is a totally different story! I have all 6 on a Mon, Tues and Wed.

It's not so much about being able to manage, I manage fine, we get to go out and about, they play reasonably well together - aged 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, I have to plan and time everything down to the very last minute, and making sure there's enough resources to last - 3 are really into crafty stuff (thank you to the poster who pointed out the wilkinson offers this week hee hee) but by the end of the working day I am fit for nothing!

I'm so glad I have easier days Thursdays and Fridays I can tell ya (no more than 2 normally) - I'm not even advertising availability for those days, in fact, if I have enquiries for those days I really do consider whether it's worth it, and to date, the answer has been 'nah'
Yes the money might be appealing, but the wear and tear on me just aint worth it :laughing:

samb
01-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I have a max of 6 including my 2 who are almost 5 and 7 at any time. My mindees are all part time. The longest one comes for 30-37 hours a week- 3 full days and 1 shorter ad hoc day usually does the ad hoc twice a month. My shortest comes 1.5 hours after school once a week! So my days are very bitty collecting children from school having just dropped one at home etc. I worked my timetable out to the minute! My mindees are 15m, 15m, 2.5, 3,3,5,5,6 and 2 ad hoc 7yr olds in holidays only. My busiest term time day at the moment is a Wednesday- I have 6 yr old before and after school, 15m 7:30-5:30, 2yr 9:30-2:30, 3yr 2:15-6, 5yr just after school. My busiest day in holidays is a Thursday when I have 2x15m and 3yr all day. There has been 1 time when I was feeling out of my depth - a 20month old split his lip on the corner of a table leg and it was day 2 of a new school girl coming. I was so busy sorting out lo that I didn't make dinner! I rang the new mum and explained and offered to make her a quick sandwich but she was lovely and didn't mind at all- she was only one staying for dinner anyway so it wasn't so bad. The other children were all fine but it did make me think...

scottishlass
01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I have my own girls who are 7 and 10 so they are mostly at school - I have a 12 month old full time and a 16 month old for 1 x 12 hour day per week. His sister also comes for this same long day before/after school. I just gave notice to a 3 year old I had due to non payment from college (given many chances - mum not attending and then college didn't pay). I only intend on taken on 1 child to reply this child as I do not wish to be full every day - like my quieter days! Going to try and not start anyone until after the summer holidays as will enjoy being quieter over the holidays x

mr man
01-06-2013, 10:57 PM
My quietest is 2 x 18 month olds. And the pick up 7 Schoolies ( my 2 included) my busiest day is 5 under 8 yrs ( assistant with me till 3 yr old goes to school) and then I pick up 7 Schoolies.

I manage well, and they all get on great. Big changes in sept - 2 going to High school (dd included) and 3yr old leaving or school I can't get too.
But I have a other set of twins already here 8 month olds.

They started 1 day a week and need 3 days in August . I prefer a busy house, and manage better under pressure.

We o out places . This week we've been a theme park, and swimming, had 1 day in baking and crafts and then Friday bouncy castle in garden. Half term done. Love it. Averaged 6 children, us if was 10. Hence the castle

VeggieSausage
02-06-2013, 07:21 AM
3 pre-schoolers, 3 aged 5-8 and 2 over 8s and yes i do wonder what possessed me......also I do try to manage my 2 x dds who are 16 and 18 and my dh but have limited success!:laughing:

merry
02-06-2013, 07:28 AM
The maximum I've had in the past was 9, and I found that managable, but now I have max of 6 and it's much harder due to the different mix of children, and a baby who is hard work even when I have just him - it really depends on the personalities and ages of the children.

:)

scottishlass
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
I have my own girls who are 7 and 10 so they are mostly at school - I have a 12 month old full time and a 16 month old for 1 x 12 hour day per week. His sister also comes for this same long day before/after school. I just gave notice to a 3 year old I had due to non payment from college (given many chances - mum not attending and then college didn't pay). I only intend on taken on 1 child to reply this child as I do not wish to be full every day - like my quieter days! Going to try and not start anyone until after the summer holidays as will enjoy being quieter over the holidays x

We are only allowed max of 6 under 16 - 3 of those can be under school age x

Nicola Carlyle
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
As of September I'm due to have:

Monday: 7
Tuesday: 10
Wednesday: 9
Thursday: 6
Friday: 9

All of my children are siblings and I have two girls of my own. I am only over my numbers by 2 maximum hence I have just employed an assistant to help me with the nursery and school run on a Tuesday morning/afternoon and Wednesday morning and my husband (also an assistant) helps me with Friday afternoons. During the day I have a maximum of 4 twice a week to accommodate continuity of care due to parents working patterns/shifts. My youngest is 1 and oldest 10.

I feel I manage well as do my parents. I aim to keep everything as calm as possible on pick ups and I always talk to the children about their behaviour and what we think is good and bad. We also talk about when we are out and about and how its important to stay with our buddies, not to run off and listen very carefully to instructions. I find if the older ones lead by example the little ones follow but if the older ones don't listen and start being silly the younger ones pick up on it and things can go to pot very quickly. I'm very lucky that all if my children are generally well behaved (of course they have their moments) but on the whole they are very good.

You have to be super organised though in order for it to work.

It can be done but I don't agree with cramming them in for financial purposes. Believe me when I say that but in my area I am the only childminder available for our school and I feel awful not being able to help. I genuinely do care. I do pass on the details of one of the local nurseries as they are the only other people who offer school drop off and pick up. This is never ideal for them but it is the only other option that's available. This is why I have a very long waiting list that doesn't look like I will be able to accommodate anyone on it for approx two years due to the children I already have and their movement. I love my busy days but I live for my quieter ones. xxx

phoenix2010
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I like to have 2 or 3 under 5s during the day , then after school I have my own 6 yr old and a 5 year old , until 9pm

I dont like having schoolies , only this one as she is delightful and gets on brill with my son

Ive had up to 3 after school before plus my own and I dont find it at all enjoyable , much prefer them when they are younger