PDA

View Full Version : OMG So embarrased

kel1983
31-05-2013, 03:10 PM
We have just had a mum round to visit with her little one. Everything was going well until one of the lo's (nearly 4) we mind threw a dinosaur straight at the lo visiting. Mum was so shocked. It left the lo with a bruise right below the eye. This mindee is prone to showing off when mums come to collect its embarrassing. After we took he away and had a little chat which seemed to work but then he got even sillier throwing other toys and all we could do was apologies to the mum visiting and reassure her he was showing off. Just hope she isnt put off. He is not the best behaved child but he certainly inst like this all day. Just on pick ups when he gets silly and starts running about and shouting. Unfortunately he is here every day and the last to leave.

Does anyone else have this problem when other children are being collected. We have tried distracting him with books etc which seemed to work and sticker chart but just doesnt help. We have 3 months to get through as he is off to school in September

blue bear
31-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Picking up. On you referring to we, if there is more than one adukt could the other not take him out in the garden to play ball etc to distract him at pick up times.

kel1983
31-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Yes I co mind. The problem is one has to do school pick up while the other stays and waits for 2 parents to collect. One thing we have just decided it that the lo will have to go to do school pick up with one of us. That would solve a few problems. Yours is a good idea though. May use that during other times

Jenna
31-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I have a 3.5 year old girl who's the same I never get to speak to parents at collection time as she is running round showing off. No matter what I say or do nothing works its even worst when it's her mum it's like a switch goes off in her head and that's the end. If I need to talk to parents I end up ringing or texting then later to fill them in on the day. The little girl gets it from mum as ages so rude to other parents I think she thinks I just work for her she very demanding at collection time I try to work it so other parents don't collect the same time as these as they all know what she's like

freckleonear
31-05-2013, 07:55 PM
It's my own son who is my problem! He gets very silly and hyper when parents come to visit or collect, and I'm dreading what he will be like for my Ofsted inspection next week!

Zoomie
31-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Most of the time, my mindees go home at 5:30 which is immediately after dinner. However, twice a week, some stay till 6pm and I have found that glued-tv syndrome is much better than the alternative of running amock and getting all the toys back out again. As these children are collected at six on the dot, the tv is switched off immediately the door bell rings.

donna porter
31-05-2013, 08:53 PM
It's always the way isn't it. The 4 yr old I mind is exactly the same. She's starting to grow out of it now tho. It must be a 3 year old thing! Trouble is as the 4 year old is growing out of it my own daughter (who is nearly 3) is growing into it :-/ lol

hectors house
31-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I played with a tub of small buttons with a 15 month old today, he was tipping them from one tub into another and throwing them into a metal tin, counting and sorting them as good as gold - as soon as his mum arrives he started putting handfuls of buttons into his mouth just to get a reaction from one of us!

I would just text this parent who visited today, apologise again for the incident that happened to her child, assure her that some children do just get over excited when other adults come. I recently had to ask parents dropping off and collecting children to keep chatting to a bare minimum as one child who is here a very long day started acting up - but to be fair if her mum and the other 2 parents all talked for 10 mins for each drop off and collection, that is an hour a day that this child is having to share me with other people, so I could see why she had started to act up.

TooEarlyForGin?
31-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Most of the time, my mindees go home at 5:30 which is immediately after dinner. However, twice a week, some stay till 6pm and I have found that glued-tv syndrome is much better than the alternative of running amock and getting all the toys back out again. As these children are collected at six on the dot, the tv is switched off immediately the door bell rings.

Oooooooh good one, although my kids would probably start screeching for Simpsons at 6. So wouldn't get away with it.

VeggieSausage
01-06-2013, 06:58 AM
It's my own son who is my problem! He gets very silly and hyper when parents come to visit or collect, and I'm dreading what he will be like for my Ofsted inspection next week!

I always remove my own children from anywhere near an Ofsted inspection you can guarantee this will be the day that they cling/cry/fight/argue/ have a tantrum/ have been up half the night and are tired and grumpy etc....

kel1983
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad its not just here that has a problem. lol. Sometimes we have children collected whilst they are finishing dinner which seems to be ok. We have started to introduce the tv and tablet which seems to work actually. Hopefully he will grow out of it

I had a text from visiting mum just to confirm start date so replied apologising etc. She seems to understand the problem and is happy to still go ahead.

Starting Monday we are going to try everything to calm the lo down. Unfortunately we don't have a cupboard under the stairs :blush:

smurfette
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad its not just here that has a problem. lol. Sometimes we have children collected whilst they are finishing dinner which seems to be ok. We have started to introduce the tv and tablet which seems to work actually. Hopefully he will grow out of it

I had a text from visiting mum just to confirm start date so replied apologising etc. She seems to understand the problem and is happy to still go ahead.

Starting Monday we are going to try everything to calm the lo down. Unfortunately we don't have a cupboard under the stairs :blush:

Delighted you got the contract, she must have been happy with how you handled it!