PDA

View Full Version : Tax credits..why do parents do it

Pixie dust
30-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Just had a call from tax credits asking to confirm certain details about one of the families I provide care for. I have had calls before about previous families so know the routine,( I don't actually give details over the phone so I have been given an address to confirm things in writing and they are going to write to me.) the lady did say how much the parent is claiming surprise it's a little more than their average weekly fee plus they seemed to have forgotten to mention they are only here term time only.

sarah707
30-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I've had 4 to do this year so far - luckily they are all ok.

Parents who used a childminder friend a few years ago went a funny colour when the letter arrived and pulled their child out which was really sad because he was making good progress with my friend.

Silly people :panic:

partyrings
30-05-2013, 09:16 PM
I started to think it was just me! I have had parents asking me to give conformation of how much they had paid..and then would slip in that they did not tell the tax credits they were term time only and not full time :/ I dread the phone call to ask me directly, but the truth will be told. And up to now I have a couple of worried parents...another one even said I look after her 10year old son all year round..never even had him for one day!!! When will parents learn..tell the truth

loocyloo
30-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I had a mum do the opposite. She is tto and hasn't told tax credits that she usually used me in half terms and holidays and that her fees were lots more as not funded AND she did more days!
BLESS!

pipandbaz
31-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Same here! I'm not covering for anyone they take advantage of a good setup -arseh**e lucky they can get payments towards childcare costs

angeldelight
31-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I had this happen a few times

All were ok except for one

I only had her children school holidays but she claimed for term time too ....it was a lot of money for two children

She cried and offered me £100 to cover for her :panic:

Angel xxx

Kiddleywinks
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
She cried and offered me £100 to cover for her :panic:

:eeeek:

She did what?!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

£100 to cover up lord only knows how much fraud!
I'd have been opening an account in the Caymans, sticking letters out of newspapers on a blackmail letter and demanding a lot more than £100! :cool:

I did have one prospective parent once suggest that I increase my hours and hourly rate so that TC's covered the whole amount and she wouldn't have to pay anything herself, needless to say she was informed that this was indeed fraud and I thought it best she leave now........

littlemiss60561
01-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Makes my blood boil! on paper we earn a decent wage. in reality we dont! but get no help. Tax credits should pay us direct(although we could be waiting forever to receive money I guess) or as part of the set up request written confirmation from us as standard prior to paying parents?
All parents need is your ey number. How many prospective parents can look at your certificate if the number isn't covered? Big risk, but one some may take.
I've had 2 parents not tell to when their contracted ended. One said she was going to get a few weeks extra out of them and another 2 months later still hadn't informed them... I lied and told her I'd had a call.... :laughing:

Kiddleywinks
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
After many discussions on here about TC's (and some discussions get particularly warm :laughing: ) I think the consensus is that :
parents can get an EY number direct from the ofsted website if they're hell bent on fraudulently claiming anyway

if we were paid direct and a parent made a mistake on their claim, it would be us that had to do the refund to TC's

requesting confirmation would be time consuming for us and the government and no doubt more mistakes would be made with settings left without funds whilst still having to provide their services as it isn't the fault of the parent we've not been paid :rolleyes:

It's not a perfect system that's for sure.

My thought is that parents should be issued cheque book style vouchers that can only be cashed by a registered care provider on production of their EY certificate (maybe a credit card sized version issued with our certificate that we produce at the bank with the voucher)

I'm sure though that even that could be open for abuse somewhere down the line.....?

bindy
02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
I have a problem with a parent regarding tax credits. Firstly, I don't think she thinks they will check( have not yet) She told them she pays me £150 pw all year round, when in fact she only pays £66 pw term time only! The problem being she is a friend too. Help! Will not lie, plus its money I would have to pay tax on. She has only just told me this after 2 years!

Kiddleywinks
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
They may not check, for a while at least, but it's renewal time, the government are looking to cut costs, so it's possible this is the year they do check her claim.
I have had 2 parents that made a change to their claim before April, one went from a joint to a single, the other went from a single to a joint, and both had to provide evidence of their childcare costs.
To my knowledge, neither were claiming for more than they should.

You will not be penalised for your friends wrongdoing should she be found out. It's the parent that claims the funds, not you.
I would however be informing her that should TC's require fees information, you have a legal obligation to give them it.

Alternatively, you can contact the fraud hotline (0800 854440) and inform them and put a stop to it.
If she is getting the full 70%, then she is receiving in the region of £2886 a year more than she should be!

margaret
02-06-2013, 08:17 AM
If you know someone is claiming or over claiming on tax credits ,report them.I get fed up listening to people moaning about how much people are getting in tax credits but dont report it.

People who get benefits should also learn to keep their financial affairs private.

One of my parents has just been told she owes nearly £1300.00 as she didnt tell tax credits i was claiming government funding for 38 weeks ,she claims she didnt know she had to tell them,lot of rubbish ,she did know,i even made a point of telling her.

Smileyface
02-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi ladies
Having simpler problem a mum has asked me for receipts regarding payment and I did give her all her copies but she said they have asked for mine? Originals...
The child left in April does this mean she had been still claiming? He is now at nursery.
I'm a newbie and never experienced this as I yet!
Any advice help?
Surely she can use the receipts I gave her maybe she through them away.
Also I don't want to give her mine they are for my records she said she will send them recorded delivery and I will get them back

Kiddleywinks
02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I made a 'statement of account' using the information in my accounting spreadsheet that shows contracted hours, actual hours, payment due and payments received.
I printed it off on my own headed paper with my contact details on it and a confidential watermark
I also stated that if they (TC's) had any other queries they were welcome to contact me.

This was accepted for both of my parents :thumbsup:

Edit
You do not need to give your originals, the request is for the PARENTS originals

Pixie dust
02-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I printed it off on my own headed paper with my contact details on it and a confidential watermark

How do you get a watermark on your paperwork ....is this something you can do on a pc? I have my own headed paperwork but never thought about a watermark.

Kiddleywinks
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
If using a word document it's found in:
Format
Background
Printed Watermark

If using word 2010 it's found in:
Page Layout
Watermark

Pixie dust
02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
If using a word document it's found in:
Format
Background
Printed Watermark

If using word 2010 it's found in:
Page Layout
Watermark

Thank you will have a look later and try it :)

phoenix2010
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I had a call years ago asking about a little girl I had , they were continuing to claim that she was with me , a full year after she had left
The child was taken out of my care to be looked after by a family friend , yet they were still claiming she was with me

I worked out they would owe about £5000

Ive had several calls lately , I have no idea if the parents are honest as Tax credits dont tell me what they are claiming and I dont ask

I just tell them the truth , what else can you do

The system is massively flawed

partyrings
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
What I do is send a newsletter with details on tax credits reminding parents what the rules are...ie informing the authorities about changes, it is their responsibility. I also point out that at no time will I change any payments or details as this is fraud. I also put a note on invoices about changes...I am not saying it will stop them, but it let's them know your position. There has been a large number of checks lately and you could use it as a friendly advice letter to make sure everything has been declared. But don't you do anything as you could be charged with fraud. X