PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice

Emmalou77
30-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I wonder if anyone can advise me on how to go about and what to say to parents when giving notice please. I currently work for a parent from 06.30-17.00 5 days per week term time only but may have the opportunity of working 8-6 4 days all year round. The main reason I would want to give notice is because of the early start and this is what I would want to tell her, however, having done this particular job for the best part of a year my OH thinks its not a good enough reason and that she will question it because of this? what would you say? :-\

munch149
30-05-2013, 01:46 PM
I hate letting people down and giving notice and probably wouldn't but its your business and totally understand your reasons. If you decide to just say that the early mornings aren't working for you anymore and maybe discuss with the parent if there is anyway it can be altered and come to some compromise. If not you feel you need to give notice. Chances are she won't be able to alter work commitments and you will need to give notice but at least you have offered. I would never agree to start that early and am now regretting doing a 7.30 start (have always done 8). So totally get your reasons. I wouldn't mention the other possible mindees as this may start an arguement.

Emmalou77
30-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Thank you for your feedback. I know there is no way she will be able to alter work commitments, all I can do is offer to help find alternative care for her. Its just very intrusive starting at that time and when it comes to the holiday period were all out of routine causing us to be up and down. It would just be nice to be up at a "normal" time all year round.

little chickee
30-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Just state the early start as the reason. Your hubby is probably right - theres a good chance she won't be happy but that is not a reason to not give notice.
If you want to swap to the other contract that works better for you then that is your choice.

I too would not mention that you are giving notice in favour of a different family. Just say its because you are unable to do the early mornings anymore.

Jods
30-05-2013, 02:16 PM
As mentioned - I would probably phrase it "due to having a working hours restructure I am unable to provide you with the current contract, my new working hours will be ------ to -------, I understand this might not be suitable so thus am offering you notice to terminate care/contract" x

hth I am sure someone probably has an even better way of proposing it, I would resist from justifying it too much, and also mentioning the other family as thats confidential any ways x good luck x

Emmalou77
30-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Thank you everyone :-)

Stapleton83
30-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I would probably say something along the lines of, "due to a change in personal circumstances I regret to inform you that I am giving notice ..."

At the end of the day if it is having an impact on your family I think it is fine.

Good luck.

Sam x

The Juggler
30-05-2013, 03:20 PM
i agree I'd offer the parent an opportunity to drop the child later in the morning before giving notice. I know the new job will give you a day per week off but you might miss not working in the school holidays (unless you have other children anyway?)

Or if you do now need to earn all year round, then tell current mum this and give her option of a retainer fee perhaps or finding an alternative - offer to help her.

I'd have a chat first though so she understands your reasons and she has a choice. Otherwise local gossip can get around and giving notice for a "better deal" might mean you lose business in the future.:thumbsup: