PDA

View Full Version : Child who bites/eats toys/books etc

KatieFS
30-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Any advice, driving me mad. I look after child coming up 2, still puts things in her mouth. I know this can happen but she is actually biting and chewing my stuff too!! Books are a favourite!!! I keep finding corners of books she has bitten and chewed! Bits of jooks spat put on the floor when ive missed her doing it! sge has started doing ot to other things now like soft toys, play kitchen food. she does actually leave bite marks! Apart from damaging some stuff, I'm also getting a bit worried about what she might be swallowing. She appears to be spitting it out... But you can't really tell!
Any advice?!?

sarah707
30-05-2013, 06:27 PM
My worry with one of my little ones was that he would break his teeth he chomped so hard on toys.

I worked with parents to redirect him - it got significantly better after a couple of weeks of us really helping him to focus on doing other things.

Hugs xx

bindy
30-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Could be back molers, give something hard,cold and safe to bite on!

greanan
30-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I've a 3 year old who still constantly puts things in her mouth

Kiddleywinks
30-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I have a 4 AND a 5 year old that does the same! Drives me to distraction I can tell you and my purchases of Milton and anti bac is through the roof!

When there's nothing 'substantial' available, they'll chew clothes, their shoes (??!) and even tissues :panic:
Sarah - what techniques did you use please?

sarah707
30-05-2013, 07:36 PM
We had a toothbrush for the child to chew when he needed it - at home mum took him to brush his teeth saying it would help them feel better but I was advised against that by the dental nurse.

The dental nurse was really helpful. She suggested a soft teething type toy plus re-direction. It was like shadowing a biter - behind him all the time watching for triggers (his were boredom, tiredness and hunger) and supporting him through making changes in his daily routine.

Parents were brilliant and I am sure that helped him move on quicker. Try your dental nurse - I've known ours for years but you will find one linked to the HVs - a good one is worth his/her weight in gold :D

watgem
30-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Thank you for this post and the helpful info,i will try them on my nearly 3 year old mundee next week,this lo also lucks everything!my antibac purchases arebonkers too! Jst checking but are you managing to have a break sarah lol :)

sarah707
31-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Thank you for this post and the helpful info,i will try them on my nearly 3 year old mundee next week,this lo also lucks everything!my antibac purchases arebonkers too! Jst checking but are you managing to have a break sarah lol :)

I am having a lovely break thank you! Back tomorrow :D