PDA

View Full Version : Students get bursaries to become nursery teachers

Simona
29-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Would it not be great if some bursaries were handed to current providers to continue with our studies???

I particularly resent the reference about concerns over poor standards of care for the under 5s!!

Students handed bursaries to train as nursery teachers - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10087346/Students-handed-bursaries-to-train-as-nursery-teachers.html)

Wheelybug
29-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Would it not be great if some bursaries were handed to current providers to continue with our studies???

I particularly resent the reference about concerns over poor standards of care for the under 5s!!

Students handed bursaries to train as nursery teachers - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10087346/Students-handed-bursaries-to-train-as-nursery-teachers.html)

So let me get this straight, 'poor standards of care for under 5's' are in part going to be improved by offering apprenticeships to 16/17 year olds that last 20 months. Are they serious :panic: No offence to young people, but to think that standards can be raised by a 20 month course with no prior experience of working in childcare is a joke.
Love the quote from Elizabeth Truss “Caring for and educating young children is a fantastically rewarding job' - not financially rewarding though :( and looking to be less so in the future.

The Juggler
29-05-2013, 07:13 PM
So let me get this straight, 'poor standards of care for under 5's' are in part going to be improved by offering apprenticeships to 16/17 year olds that last 20 months. Are they serious :panic: No offence to young people, but to think that standards can be raised by a 20 month course with no prior experience of working in childcare is a joke.
Love the quote from Elizabeth Truss “Caring for and educating young children is a fantastically rewarding job' - not financially rewarding though :( and looking to be less so in the future.

also gets them off the unemployment figures :rolleyes::panic:

Simona
29-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Many issues about MGC make me hopping mad but this one takes the biscuit....
I bumped into my Uni tutor last week and she told me that to continue with my BA would cost me a mere £6,000 as there is no funding anymore and these students get handed a bursary to raise standards in 20 months ???
Truss is surely losing the plot somewhere!!

The Juggler
29-05-2013, 08:40 PM
that's not to forget the burseries to graduates with NO early years experience at all to complete the EYPS and now the EYT - why not make it a requirement that you HAVE worked in early years before you can actually do these qualifications - NOT just a 6 month placement :panic:

Simona
29-05-2013, 08:55 PM
The plot thickens...I am actually sitting here and cannot stop giggling...a strange reaction to this news but I am speechless as to how our great childcare will become MGC with an influx of Truss' army of new comers??

CLL
29-05-2013, 09:20 PM
The plot thickens...I am actually sitting here and cannot stop giggling...a strange reaction to this news but I am speechless as to how our great childcare will become MGC with an influx of Truss' army of new comers??

Well it is because they will be so knowledgeable and experienced after the 20 months. They will be able to run the nurseries for a salary of £14,000 keeping costs down for parents thus making childcare affordable and great!

Wheelybug
30-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Oh I understand now, silly me, I was mistaken. You don't need any experience to work with early years, you just need to read a book. They are all so alike and behave in totally predictable ways so experience isn't necessary:panic:

My oldest daughter is 15, now she's grown up around little ones her whole life, but still sometimes she does things that makes me realise just how lacking in experience (and that ability to predict just exactly what little ones will do!!) she is. And she is quite intelligent, is expected to get the GCSE's Truss requires for this new apprenticeship. Luckily she is not interested in working in childcare, despite being very good at interacting with little ones.

Many issues about MGC make me hopping mad but this one takes the biscuit....
I bumped into my Uni tutor last week and she told me that to continue with my BA would cost me a mere £6,000 as there is no funding anymore and these students get handed a bursary to raise standards in 20 months ???
Truss is surely losing the plot somewhere!!
Know what you mean, I'm doing mine through the OU and started before fees were raised so luckily get them at the reduced rate. Only drawback is that I can't take a break, if I stop my fees jump to over £2000 a module but I desperately need a break!!

blue bear
30-05-2013, 06:39 AM
This is to stop the school leavers staying on in college and costing the government more money they want them to leave and take up apprenticeships at £2 something an hour so they are trying to sweeten the pill with £1500 bursary which will tie them into staying on the course and not chucking it in to go back to college which will be a lot more enjoyable and easier than looking after 13 three year olds.

As usually it's a money saving exercise wrapped up as a benefit to children and the childcare market.

Optimalstar
30-05-2013, 07:05 AM
that's not to forget the burseries to graduates with NO early years experience at all to complete the EYPS and now the EYT - why not make it a requirement that you HAVE worked in early years before you can actually do these qualifications - NOT just a 6 month placement :panic:

When i started the EYPS i had to demonstrate my early years experience. It was a few years back so no idea if it still holds true.