PDA

View Full Version : surely keeping a child awake is abuse?

ziggy
29-05-2013, 01:50 PM
I've mentioned this before but just so cross now............................

I have a lovely little girl every Wednesday, she was 2 last month. She goes home between 2.30 and 3pm and some weeks arrives at 7.20am. She normally goes for a nap in buggy just after lunch.

Today her mummy tells me 'we have stopped her naps'.

So she falls asleep in car at 12.30 coming home from toddler group. I woke her and she was ok, had lunch, changed her nappy, we played in garden for 30mins then came in to put others to bed. She happily played till about 2.30 then climbed on sofa with blanket from dollies pram. I lifted her off sofa, played with her on floor, then she stood crying at door completely exhausted. So i've put her on sofa with blanket and if mummy doesnt like it she can find another minder.

I am a very strict childminder but cant be cruel and stop a very tired 2yr old from having a much needed sleep

ANGRY:angry:

clareelizabeth1
29-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I always tell parents OFSTED will not allow me to keep children awake. Parents always seem ok if it's ofsteds fault.

sarah707
29-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Do parents want an inadequate childminder? because that's what Ofsted would do to you if you keep a child awake :( it is totally against the child's human rights :(

Hugs xx

Petshrinklj
29-05-2013, 01:59 PM
I agree. Some patents do seem obsesed with stopping naps. I Got a lot of grief from my mummy friends because my kids would nap when they needed to. I don't get why people have issues with it. I find an overtired child a nightmare to get to bed at night or do anything with. So why would anyone choose this I don know. I don't believe it helps them sleep at night.
Hope parents understand your point of view and stop this no-nap nonsense

29-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I think some parents just want to get in from work and put child to bed as early as possible :(. My mindees mum used to get really cross if I let him nap. She would collect him from mine at 6pm and have him in bed by 7pm at the latest so she could "catch up on chores"! She would then moan if he woke her up at 5.30/6 in the morning!!!!!