PDA

View Full Version : Helppppp

bekster18
28-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Can any one help me please I'm due to finish my maternity leave next month I've handed my notice in at current employment to become a child minder (I'm previously a qualified nursery nurse SENCO trained with qualifications in weaning and speech and language) however I'm deverstated to find out that I've got to complete a 7 week course with local council which doesn't start still July! Is there anyway I can by pass this course as I obviously need to set up as quick as poss cos of need for income, I cannot return to a workplace because I have no child care. Please help if anyone knows if I can just go straight to ofsted to apply and register

Rick
29-05-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm afraid a local authority course is a requirement of Ofsted so you can't by pass it as it is essential to doing your job.

Childminding is a very rewarding job but you can't do it on a whim. There is a lot of hard work which goes into becoming registered. It can take six months or more to compete the course, get paperwork up together and be inspected. You have to do a 12 hr paediatric first aid course etc etc. Please read the following thread which explains the process of becoming a childminder.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

lubeam
29-05-2013, 09:08 AM
As rick has said , it takes a long time to become registered, I started the process last September and only got registered 3 weeks ago, there's a lot of waiting around for paper work. Good luck :)

mrs robbie williams
29-05-2013, 09:30 AM
It does take a while I was fivemonths start to finish and from what others have said that is quick x

CLL
29-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately your previous qualifications do not count towards registering. Everyone has to do the same regardless of past experience/qualifications. It can take ages, up to a year to be fully registered. it is not just something you can decide to do overnight. You have to do the course your council suggest as it has to be la approved.

Rick
29-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Can any one help me please I'm due to finish my maternity leave next month I've handed my notice in at current employment to become a child minder (I'm previously a qualified nursery nurse SENCO trained with qualifications in weaning and speech and language) however I'm deverstated to find out that I've got to complete a 7 week course with local council which doesn't start still July! Is there anyway I can by pass this course as I obviously need to set up as quick as poss cos of need for income, I cannot return to a workplace because I have no child care. Please help if anyone knows if I can just go straight to ofsted to apply and register

Is it too late to stay in your current employment? You can probably do the course, like me, in the evenings. I can see your thought process, come back from maternity leave straight into a home based job. Unfortunately it's not quite that easy!
Hope it works out for you.

Petshrinklj
29-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi
You need to do a preregistration briefing with local authority. After that You could check with them if you can do online course rather than their 7 week course some will accept it some wont. I'm doing the online course with pacey as I was waiting a long time to do LA one and they still don't have a start date. I can see why it's frustrating you can't start straight away but the course will help you prepare for being a childminder as assessments include writing policies and business plan etc. so it's things you might have been dong anyway. If that makes sense. I agree with previous poster maybe see if you can go back to old job in he meantime so you can have some income. Because once registered it could take a while to get first mindees.
Best of luck

Tealady
29-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I did the same as you. I jacked in my desk job at the end of my maternity leave. Couldn't face going back. I started the process of becoming a childminder and in the interim I did bar work at our local posh pub. Two evenings and a Saturday afternoon plus the odd extra shift. Hubby could then care for DD when I was working and what I had in my pocket the end of the month wasn't that much less than had I gone back due to tax an childcare costs.