PDA

View Full Version : Midge Bites!!!

Cinnamon Sugar
28-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Hello all, does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do about being nibbled almost every time I go outside? There do seem to be a few midges in the garden and my dh has been bitten a few times but I've had over 20 bites in the last 3 or 4 weeks! Got 3 new ones yesterday. Thankfully none of my mindees seem to have been affected and I would rather it was me than them (well sort of:laughing:) We have no pets x

little chickee
28-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Get yourself a good midge/insect repellent.
Best ones are ones that contain DEET. Contrary to common belief DEET is perfectly safe to use and is also safe for kids.

Good non DEET ones are Smidge, Jungle formula or Avon Skin so Soft ( the green Woodland fragrance one)

Cinnamon Sugar
28-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Great thanks, I have been putting some on when I remember, they seem to get me even when I'm just nipping out with the bin or the washing first thing on a morning. I'll have to make it part of my morning beauty regime as my bitten legs are anything but beautiful! Have the Avon one on order as a few people have said that's good.

little chickee
28-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Good thing about the Avon one is it is just a body moisturiser. It just happens to repell midges.
So you can make it part of your daily routine and get nice skin to boot!

Cinnamon Sugar
28-05-2013, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE="little chickee;1255652"]Good thing about the Avon one is it is just a body moisturiser.

That's perfect then as the spray is difficult and not nice if you breathe it in! Moisturiser will be much better, thanks very much :-)

The Juggler
28-05-2013, 09:28 PM
if you like to use non-chemical try citronella dabbed on pulse points (wrists, behind knees) for prevention. Best for after bite is tea tree oil or lavendar oil :thumbsup:

Toothfairy
29-05-2013, 07:06 AM
My Mum got bitten in the garden last weekend. She had 6 bites up her left arm. The bites swelled and for the next couple of days she felt really rough and almost passed out at one point.
The doctor gave her some anti-histamine cream for the bites and said she thought they were mosquito bites.
Thanks for this post, I'm going to get her some citronella and tee tree oil :thumbsup:

Cinnamon Sugar
29-05-2013, 07:29 AM
My Mum got bitten in the garden last weekend. She had 6 bites up her left arm. The bites swelled and for the next couple of days she felt really rough and almost passed out at one point.
The doctor gave her some anti-histamine cream for the bites and said she thought they were mosquito bites.
Thanks for this post, I'm going to get her some citronella and tee tree oil :thumbsup:

Oh your poor mum! I haven't reacted but I suppose I do take anti histamines every day. Last year I got a bite on my wrist that swelled so much I couldn't bend it! The doctor reckoned it was a horse fly. Maybe we should get danger money in this job ;-)

The Juggler
29-05-2013, 07:48 AM

gosh your poor mum. if they make her feel this bad she definately would need some antihistamine too - she might be allergic to the bites but also keep an eye on it for skin infection as have heard so many people who have had a skin infection called cellulitis from insect bites and its nasty. If they dont go down make sure she goes back.

Samcat
29-05-2013, 08:03 AM
The Avon Skin So Soft is good, but it has to be the original scent (I forget what it's called) it's usually in blue packaging. You do need to keep replenishing it though. We always take it on holiday to Scotland with us.
One year we spent a week on the Isle of Canna in the Inner Hebrides and had gorgeous weather every day bar one. It rained, the wind dropped and the midges came out in force. We were in the tearoom next to our cottage and everyone in there, locals and tourists, all got out their Avon Skin So Soft at the same time and smothered themselves in it! :)

lubeam
29-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Don't no how true it is but apparently garlic in your diet puts them off ??!
That's good about that Avon stuff I never knew don't generally get bit touch wood but think ill get do skin so soft just incase :) thanks

little chickee
29-05-2013, 09:08 AM
The Avon Skin So Soft is good, but it has to be the original scent (I forget what it's called) it's usually in blue packaging. You do need to keep replenishing it though. We always take it on holiday to Scotland with us.
One year we spent a week on the Isle of Canna in the Inner Hebrides and had gorgeous weather every day bar one. It rained, the wind dropped and the midges came out in force. We were in the tearoom next to our cottage and everyone in there, locals and tourists, all got out their Avon Skin So Soft at the same time and smothered themselves in it! :)

I live in North East Scotland - i reguarly visit west Scotland ( Fort William, Avimore etc) where the midges are horrendous. So thick we have to wear midge nets. Skin so soft is also standard issue to the Army so must be good!

The Juggler
29-05-2013, 01:24 PM

ooh i would love to find out what is in it please, can someone check their bottle.

Samcat
29-05-2013, 02:25 PM
My Avon catalogue arrived today. It's Skin So Soft Original dry oil spray. Half price in the current catalogue - £2.50!

Jods
29-05-2013, 02:57 PM
hmmmmm Avon test on animals - so thats a no go for me x nothing really to help deter them but a dab of white wine vinegar stops the itching x

jellybellys
29-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Eat marmite, they hate bitter blood. Works for me and my friend n her kids.

jellybellys
29-05-2013, 04:21 PM
And garlic or onions but u have to eat a lot of onions!

mama2three
29-05-2013, 04:32 PM
ooh i would love to find out what is in it please, can someone check their bottle.

from the avon site

I have heard you can use Skin So Soft as an insect repellent is it true?
We have had reports from Representatives and their customers that Avon Skin So Soft Soft & Fresh (originally Woodland Fresh) fragrance Bath Oil and Dry Body Spray acts as an effective insect repellent. Our Quality Control Department advise that it is the aroma of the product that has this effect. Citronella is in the perfume and as fragrance oils are 'propriety compositions' and the property of the vendor, due to vendor confidentiality, we list this ingredient as Parfum. However this product is marketed and sold by us as a bath preparation only. We would not recommend any Skin So Soft product for any other use. Skin So Soft products in any other fragrance do not contain the same ingredients as Soft & Fresh.

The Juggler
29-05-2013, 04:40 PM
My Avon catalogue arrived today. It's Skin So Soft Original dry oil spray. Half price in the current catalogue - £2.50!

can you see what the active ingredient or perfume is? you might be able to buy it as an oil from a health food shop. thanks x

The Juggler
29-05-2013, 04:41 PM
from the avon site

I have heard you can use Skin So Soft as an insect repellent is it true?
We have had reports from Representatives and their customers that Avon Skin So Soft Soft & Fresh (originally Woodland Fresh) fragrance Bath Oil and Dry Body Spray acts as an effective insect repellent. Our Quality Control Department advise that it is the aroma of the product that has this effect. Citronella is in the perfume and as fragrance oils are 'propriety compositions' and the property of the vendor, due to vendor confidentiality, we list this ingredient as Parfum. However this product is marketed and sold by us as a bath preparation only. We would not recommend any Skin So Soft product for any other use. Skin So Soft products in any other fragrance do not contain the same ingredients as Soft & Fresh.

thanks Mama - will stick with the citronella then :thumbsup:

mama2three
29-05-2013, 04:43 PM
can you see what the active ingredient or perfume is? you might be able to buy it as an oil from a health food shop. thanks x

They say in the spiel above that they only list it as 'parfum' - but it does contain citronella which is a well known repellent.

mama2three
29-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Sorry Juggler , posted together!

jellybellys
30-05-2013, 07:40 AM
In response to the lady who said Avon test on animals: (copied n pasted)
In June 1989 Avon announced a permanent end to animal testing of our products, including testing done in outside laboratories. Avon was the first major cosmetic company in the world to end animal testing.
For more than 20 years Avon has independently substantiated the safety of its products without animal testing.
Avon does not conduct nor request animal testing in order to substantiate the safety or efficacy of any of its products or raw ingredients.
Our approach to safety evaluation utilizes data from computational modeling, in vitro (test tube/cell culture) evaluation and clinical tests on human volunteers, as well as utilization of pre-existing data.
Some products may be required by law in a few countries to undergo additional safety testing, including animal testing. In these instances, Avon will first attempt to persuade the requesting authority to accept non-animal test data.
Avon’s commitment is to work within a country, in partnership with other organizations, to help bring about positive change and the acceptance of non-animal testing methods. Abandoning a market would deny us the opportunity to help drive towards a long term solution.
Avon has been active in the development, implementation and acceptance of alternative test methods since the 1980's, working to identify and develop new testing alternatives with other cosmetic companies and with external organizations. Avon's Vice President, Product Safety & Integrity serves on the Scientific Advisory Panel of The Institute of In Vitro Sciences, Inc., a non-profit research and testing organization dedicated to the advancement of in vitro (non-animal) methods worldwide. Recently Avon became a Founding Sponsor of the American Society for Cellular Computational Toxicology. Similarly, Avon continues to support the Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments (FRAME) in the UK, the Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing at Johns Hopkins University in the US, and the European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing.
Our efforts were recognized as far back as 1993 at the World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences: Education, Research and Testing. Also in 1993, Avon was presented with a Recognition Award from the Johns Hopkins University Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing in the US for our dedication to the principles of the 3 R's (refinement, reduction, replacement) and the use of alternative tests for safety evaluation.
Reflecting the same commitment to animal welfare, the Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade does not fund medical research utilizing animals. Through 2012, the Avon Crusade raised more than $780 million for access to care and finding a cure for breast cancer.
Click here for a pdf of Q&A below.

Jods
02-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes I worked for Avon for 4 years, I was always told this until I received formal company information, now I cant share this as its unethical.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2110787/Avon-withdraws-animal-test-claims-website-complaints.html

and Peta

Beauty Without Bunnies | Companies That Do Test on Animals: Avon Products, Inc. | PETA.org (http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/525.aspx)

Tell Avon to Stop Testing on Animals - ForceChange (http://forcechange.com/61188/tell-avon-to-stop-testing-on-animals/)

I no longer work for Avon - nor sell/endorse their products x but thats my opinion.