PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Dogs Activities

kimnolan87
28-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Hi,

Our mini yorkie (who lives with my mum, but comes to visit) was attacked by another dog on Sunday - we are very lucky to still have her....

Anyway, the children adore Missy (and our dog Ruby) but they are constantly trying to stroke other dogs in the street....even after I have told them not to and explained that if we don't know the dog, it could bite us.

They have been told what's happened to Missy but I obviously don't want to give them all the details but I would like to do some activities to help enforce the importance of not stroking strangers' dogs......

Can anyone think of any activities I could do with the children over the next couple of days please? The children are four and five.

Thanks xxx

miffy
28-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Have a look here

Child safety around dogs - The Kennel Club (http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/safeandsound)

If you google teaching children to be safe around dogs lots of links come up - the one above is from the uk kennel club.

So sorry to hear about missy, it must have been very frightening. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Miffy xx

room2grow
28-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I have used the kennel club stuff, it is nice and easy to read. We all know to be trees if we meet a dog and also to ask if we can stroke it. Now I have a dog as well, when they arrive in the morning it is normal routine to be a boring tree until she calms down. ( not long now as she has realised they don't interact with her as they arrive)

KatieFS
28-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Brilliant ideas! Thank you. These will be very handy for me my kids and mindees with my dog Sam and other hounds we meet out and about

kimnolan87
28-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks - I'll be having a good look later once LO goes home xxx