PDA

View Full Version : Travelling by bus with 17 month old-safety

sarahb1985
27-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi, just hoping for some advice on how to travel safely with young children on the bus. We recently went on a day trip on the bus and I just want to check I did the right thing. I decided to take 17 month old lo in a carrier on my front. The bus had seatbelts and I put the seatbelt on me in between myself and the child was this the safest thing to do? I thought that if the bus had crashed, the seatbelt would have stopped me going anywhere so therefore stopped the child going anywhere, Also if there had been no seatbelt is the safest way a buggy? I assume it would be unsafe to carry a baby in a front carrier on the bus as in a crash I would go forward therefore crushing the child? Sorry to be so morbid, just trying to cover all areas and write a thorough risk assessment!!

Kirstylob
27-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't often use the bus when I'm working but we are planning a trip on Friday to the Science Centre and as its in the centre of town ,the bus is easier. I have a slightly older one, she's 21 months and she is going in the pushchair. All our buses are pushchair friendly and have 'parking' for pushchairs. She will staying safely in the pushchair with the brake on and me holding on too.
I think you did the right thing by using the seatbelt, but personally wouldn't use a carrier as my back couldn't take it!
Maybe you could ask the parent what they do on the bus and make sure you have a signed permission form.

tulip0803
27-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I think that even with you wearing a seat belt if there had been a crash if you were wearing the baby on your front you would have still crushed the baby. The force of the momentum would move you forward into the seat in front. Child Car Seats : Carrying Children Safely : Carrying Children in Buses, Minibuses, Coaches and Taxis (http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carrying_safely/buses_coaches_taxis.htm)

If it is an organised coach trip on a coach with belts it is best to take a car seat. All trips with our local family centre you have to bring a car seat.

If you are on a service bus the safest way is in a pushchair in the buggy bay. None of the options are ideal :(. DS is a bus driver and he would have been concerned that you were wearing a baby in that way with a seat belt on and thinking it would stop the baby being crushed.

room2grow
27-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Whenever we travel by bus my littlest one (16 mths). Stays in the buggy. The others sit on the seat one either side of me so that I can hold on to them too.

sarahb1985
27-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do have permission to use the bus from the parent. I didn't use a carrier because I thought it would be the safest way, I used it because the parent prefers me to, they are attachment parenting and do not use a buggy at home. They have offered to bring a buggy for me to use if I would prefer so I think I will in future, now that I can see it would be the safest way. I suppose even safer would be walking though so I will be using the bus less now! It wasn't a coach, I usually take a booster seat for my 3 year old daughter on coaches. It was a small single decker bus going 25 minutes towards the country side. Thanks again.

littlemiss60561
27-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi
Did you mean that the seat belt was also on the lo? As this is a no no , although lots of people do it. Thinking the child is strapped in so ok. Bit really they would come a cropper on the impact from you nt them.
The safest way our bus company advises is buggy, facing backwards against the seat rest. Brakes on ( obviously) . I also hold not the pram generally.
I saw today a tot walking up and down the isle .bus moving. She can't have been more than 2. Her mum ( I assume) was at the front texting, , and she was up on the back seat alone. Scared the life out of me!