PDA

View Full Version : One of care

rsowter
25-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi all

Have just received an email from a lady asking for me to look after her one year old on Tuesday 28th from 1-4pm
I have not met or spoken to this lady before and wondered what your options and advice would be please

Many Thanks

clareelizabeth1
25-05-2013, 04:41 PM
If you have the space I would do it might be for a job interview so might get more work from it.

JMcG
25-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I do one off jobs occasionally. I just ask parents to come visit first do can meet & discuss child's routine/ needs etc. And I always make sure they complete a child record form & sign permissions forms, particularly for giving first aid/seeking medical attention. And they have to pay upfront! Hope that helps.

rsowter
25-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Brill thank you it's all new to me x

rsowter
25-05-2013, 05:24 PM
What about a contract stupid question I know x

moggy
25-05-2013, 06:11 PM
What about a contract stupid question I know x

If they are paying upfront I would not bother with contract. I'd do a basic permissions form and child info form.

SDC34cr
25-05-2013, 11:30 PM
It depends who your insurance is with as I've had to do contracts with all my ad hoc and one off care as I'm with pacey and they said it needs to be done for insurance reasons

rsowter
26-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys that's been rally helpful x

Rick
26-05-2013, 01:25 PM
It depends who your insurance is with as I've had to do contracts with all my ad hoc and one off care as I'm with pacey and they said it needs to be done for insurance reasons

All of those things would make me say it's not worth it, contract, record form, permissions form for three hours. Just over a tenner for your time and effort minus the cost of the forms and your time if you have them over beforehand.

If it might lead to more work then it might be worth it but I can't see it being worth it!

sarah707
26-05-2013, 01:26 PM
If you are with Morton Michel you can do a simple contract with basic permissions and info about the child covering medication needs, allergies etc.

if you are with pacey I believe that you must use one of their contracts if you want to be insured... then permissions and child information.

I have covered a few one-off children over the years. Biggest tips I can give you - try and meet the child first and get money up front.

Hth :D

christine e
26-05-2013, 02:46 PM

But not for public liability it is for the legal protection insurance - but then they wouldn't get involved for 3 hours on non payment

NinaBowen
26-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I got asked this a few months back and I said no. It was just for one day during the holiday. She phoned about 10pm the night before she wanted cover though in my case and wanted to drop him off at 8am in the morning! I personally don't think it is worth doing because of all the paperwork you need to do. Yes she may need a childminder in the future but then she might come back to then anyway.

MrsP2C
27-05-2013, 07:46 AM
I offer ad hoc hours so would do this but :

Charge a £25 admin fee for first booking (to cover paperwork & make it worth my while if I never see them again!) & get them to complete P&P, child record form & a zero hours contract

Charge a higher hourly rate

Payment always up front

Send own Food & snacks

Write down routine

I have two families I do occasional work for and the first came as a similar enquiry to yours & I hadn't met mum first & did paperwork the night before which she bought with cash on drop-off!! I really like being able to top-up my income without regular commitment & it allows me to have a day off occasionally :)

rsowter
27-05-2013, 11:36 AM
ok so it turns out that social services are paying for my services i have done an invoice for 3 hours at normal pay so 3x£4 per hour and as its going to be a total of 32 miles travelling i thought £20 to cover petrol. i am going to meet mum later today with relevant forms and to meet little girl does this sound ok ?? should i charge more/less and has anyone else dealt with ss when will i get paid ??
many thanks

CLL
27-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't think you can charge for petrol/use of car.

rsowter
27-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Even though its a one of otherwise I'm going 32 miles for £12 :(

Rick
27-05-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't think you can charge for petrol/use of car.

Yes you are right, I've read this before. See post number 8 in the following thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/paperwork-policies-procedures-permissions-forms-contracts-booklets/117475-what-paperwork-do-i-need.html

You can only put petrol on expenses

Rick
27-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Even though its a one of otherwise I'm going 32 miles for £12 :(

How much will petrol cost for 32 miles? :rolleyes: maybe not worth it

Nicola Carlyle
27-05-2013, 03:05 PM
I thought she could charge for fuel!! I'm sure I've read on here other childminders telling each other to add a pick up/drop off fee if you find yourself being out. I don't see how this is any different. xxx

Rick
27-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I thought she could charge for fuel!! I'm sure I've read on here other childminders telling each other to add a pick up/drop off fee if you find yourself being out. I don't see how this is any different. xxx

You can add on 'hours' or charge a higher rate but petrol should go on expenses only. Post number 3 on this thread says something smilar

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/fees-charges/117817-drop%5Ccollection-charges.html

I add on hours when I drop off mindees as it's not something I normally do. I charge for my time to get back home again which is fair enough.

Goatgirl
27-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi I would have a think about how much you want to be paid for this. Its alot of inconvenience, as well as petrol and pick up drop off times etc. Then divide the amount by the number of hours.....
Alternatively, charge a higher rate (I charge a higher than usual ad hoc rate) and make a collection and drop off charge on top, making sure it is worth your while :thumbsup:
It is also worhth noting that some minders have a minimum charge for a day: mine is based on 6 hours at normal fee.

Good luck :), hope it goes well for everyone.

rsowter
27-05-2013, 09:01 PM
So am I best just invoicing for x3 hours at £10 per hour for ad hoc work???
I'm so confused by all this it's giving me brain fry lol just want to make it worth my while x

littlemiss60561
27-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Maybe charge as a minimum x hour block? I charge extra for ad hoc to cover paperwork etc. also charge from when you leave to collect and until you get home again.

rsowter
28-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Ok x what would u charge I will leave at 12:30 to get to hers for 1:00 then I have to drop her of at 4:00 so ill be home by 4:30 which is 4hrs in total x I normally just charge by the hour so don't have a minimum x

Goatgirl
28-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi,
Sounds like you're happy to do it for £30 total. I would either bill them for a 4 hour session which includes your time at £7.50 an hour, or £10 an hour for the 3 hours.

£7.50 would look better as an hourly rate if they wanted to use you in the future, but if they quibble over the 'extra' hour, explain that you've not charged separate fees for drop off and collection but it obviously costs you time and money so this is for simplicity: the alternative would be £10 to cover costs.

Good luck :thumbsup:

mama2three
28-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I would just invoice as a block too - ie Adhoc childminding for xxxxxx 28.05.2013 £30
My 'daily rate' is £35 , and whilst Im happy to do adhoc care in the school holidays I would charge my daily rate regardless of hours needed. Any less and it isnt worth my time and effort , the disruption to the children I already care for etc...

rsowter
28-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone for all your advice turns out I wasn't needed as social services were not going to grant the mum funding for childcare as she hadn't held her end of the deal :/