PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

Petshrinklj
25-05-2013, 03:29 PM
I wanted some old tyres for kids to play with in my garden. I'd Got the idea off people on here who'd managed to bag some freebie tyres. Anyone who has managed this can I ask who you got them off? I have tried kwic fit and hi q. neither of them would as they sell the old tyres. Feeling a bit sulky now lol.

Koala
25-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Go to a local tyre fitter, independant, often they are glad to see the back of them because they have to pay to have them disposed of. They will probably want to know why you want them because they have a responsibility to dispose of them ethically.

Large companies often have so much red tape with regards old tyres that they just don't let you have any - too much hassle.

p.s. makes you wonder who they are ripping off if they are selling the old tyres - why would they need replacing in the first place if they are ok to sell?Trusting, gullible folk like me! :angry:

supermumy
25-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I got mine from side road fitters say ur Childminder and want some for the kids they offered me 160 haha I only took 6

tulip0803
25-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Mine have come from the local garage - when they do MOT tests on cars tyres sometimes need changing and they cost the garage to dispose of them so they were happy to give them to me.

Petshrinklj
25-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks very much for your replies. I will do another ring around next week. Fingers crossed.

Greengrass74
25-05-2013, 06:45 PM
We got a brilliant tractor tyre from our local Agriculture college and didn't cost a penny just gave them a call told them it was for the children and they were more than happy to let us have it. It was a bit of a squeeze getting it into the car (Chrysler Grand Voyager) as it is 5 feet tall but it is great

greanan
26-05-2013, 07:24 AM
I got ours from the small local garage

Petshrinklj
26-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I will try after bank hol. Will let you know. :)

Helen Dempster
26-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I got 2 that I found at the side of the road that had been disposed of!

Got another 2 from my sister's old car.

Have you got any friends/relatives who have got some stored anywhere (I think everyone's got a tyre in their shed!) ha ha ha

sarahmc
26-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I got mine from my local freecycle group. Get loads of free things from there

munch149
26-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Got mine from scrapstore If got one near you

Petshrinklj
28-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I did lots more phoning around today. The first three said no but phone call number 4 got me 10 tyres whoopee. The car needs a serious clean now whoops. But I'm sooo excited. Whoop whoop. :clapping:

I'd like to paint them now. Anyone know what paint would work. I could do with rain to stop too as i want to play with new tyres,. I'm not sure what the neighbours must think of me :laughing: must have looked odd me rolling all these tyres around in heavy rain whilst whooping excitedly.

loocyloo
28-05-2013, 02:49 PM
during termtime we take tyres to the local skateboard park to roll down the big ramps :D

i want a tractor tyre now, but not sure DH will be convinced!! i only got away with my normal tyres because i was getting new ones for my car!

supermumy
28-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I've been told to wash tyre with sugar soap and paint with normal house hold paint :)