PDA

View Full Version : Continuety of care - yet again lol!

SDC34cr
24-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Right, I have some children that I have regular days and others that attend on an ad hoc basis but usually attend most weeks at some point. Can these children be classed as continuity of care?
I work with my assistant and we usually have 6 children between us most days ( some only come part days). I often have ad hoc parents ask for days that we already have 6 so can I let them attend as continuity of care? This could mean some days an overlap of having 8 or 9 children between us on popular days or other days 7 children. Some of the children are siblings.
I have read Sarah's information on variations and am in the process of getting parents permission for variations and risk assessing. Can I do one risk assessment to cover long term variation or do I have to write a risk assessment each time we would go over numbers. It's so confusing and I don't want to loose people through not having space when they need it but I want to make sure I am staying within guidelines. I only charge when children come and don't charge if they don't come so sometimes they cancel ( which is part of the way I run my business ) and I wouldn't end up being over anyway but the likelihood is that I would end up over every day as parents seem to be swapping says and needing me the same days and times.

SDC34cr
24-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Right, I have some children that I have regular days and others that attend on an ad hoc basis but usually attend most weeks at some point. Can these children be classed as continuity of care?
I work with my assistant and we usually have 6 children between us most days ( some only come part days). I often have ad hoc parents ask for days that we already have 6 so can I let them attend as continuity of care? This could mean some days an overlap of having 8 or 9 children between us on popular days or other days 7 children. Some of the children are siblings.
I have read Sarah's information on variations and am in the process of getting parents permission for variations and risk assessing. Can I do one risk assessment to cover long term variation or do I have to write a risk assessment each time we would go over numbers. It's so confusing and I don't want to loose people through not having space when they need it but I want to make sure I am staying within guidelines. I only charge when children come and don't charge if they don't come so sometimes they cancel ( which is part of the way I run my business ) and I wouldn't end up being over anyway but the likelihood is that I would end up over every day as parents seem to be swapping says and needing me the same days and times.

Just wanted to add that it would probably be different children on different days.
I may have to look into getting a second assistant I think

blue bear
25-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Someone on here mentioned they were granted a variation under the old system for a very ad hoc child. So going on that I woukd satay yes as long as they are children you have been caring for for sometime and not that you have taken new children on and no longer have the add hoc space because of this.

CLL
25-05-2013, 06:03 AM
I think in theory it is yes, due to continuity. But I do not think it is good practice to have 9 everyday and I think an inspector would question it also. If something went wrong i.e. a fire, child's major accident, I feel you would be leaving yourself open to an investigation into your practice. If business is good I would think about a 2nd assistant, however they way you run your business may not guarantee enough steady income.

munch149
25-05-2013, 06:29 AM
I would say one each extra as a variation but not 2. One minder would technically have 5 in the early years unless some of those are older and only attending around school

SDC34cr
25-05-2013, 07:18 AM
I think in theory it is yes, due to continuity. But I do not think it is good practice to have 9 everyday and I think an inspector would question it also. If something went wrong i.e. a fire, child's major accident, I feel you would be leaving yourself open to an investigation into your practice. If business is good I would think about a 2nd assistant, however they way you run your business may not guarantee enough steady income.

I certainly wouldn't have 9 every day. It would probably be 7 or sometimes 8 as I don't want to be too busy anyway. Mostly it would be for overlap at lunch as I have children siblings that are booked in 9 til 12 but have been asking to stop til 1 or 2. Which I can do some days it just depends who else is booked in. All the children are over 1 and most are now 2 and a half or 3 so are very able children who I have known for 1 or 2 years. They know the routines, fire drills etc and play really well together and care for each other.

bindy
25-05-2013, 08:28 AM
I certainly wouldn't have 9 every day. It would probably be 7 or sometimes 8 as I don't want to be too busy anyway. Mostly it would be for overlap at lunch as I have children siblings that are booked in 9 til 12 but have been asking to stop til 1 or 2. Which I can do some days it just depends who else is booked in. All the children are over 1 and most are now 2 and a half or 3 so are very able children who I have known for 1 or 2 years. They know the routines, fire drills etc and play really well together and care for each other.

Do you have an assistant too? you know having 7 or 8 but not 9? nine between two is much beter than 7 /8 to 1!

SDC34cr
25-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Do you have an assistant too? you know having 7 or 8 but not 9? nine between two is much beter than 7 /8 to 1!

of couse i have an assistant! lol!

I dont know if its worth getting another one or just turning people away a guess it is how regular this will become but in september i loose 3 or 4 to school and nursery and some dont come over school holidays either so it is usually term time when i get call and asked for extra days etc just dont know what is going to be best in long run.

But if we can do continuety of care as siblings and already registered children then it would help keep these children ready for september when some want to inncrease hours permanently when i have space.