PDA

View Full Version : activities for 17 month old???

kindredspirits
05-07-2008, 09:10 PM
:panic: help!!! i am feeling like the worlds worst mother!!! my dh is being worse than useless recently, and on virtually no sleep i'm trying to keep george amused and keep the house clean. thing is toys, even brand new ones, only last for 10 mins before he's bored. he is very advanced for his age and will sit with a pen for a few mins, i am scared of trying paints incase he eats them.

please give me some ideas before i loose my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

anna xx

emmadines
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
a bowl of bubbles (washing up bubbles?)
musical toys?
a tunnel

a kitten (jokin)
errrrr will have a think and come back

gd luck

jmoff
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
does he like messy play? try cornflour and water (& food colouring?)- you can do this outside;

shaving foam?
cooked rice /pasta?
water play?
water play outside with a paintbrush-they can paint the walls

sticking?
finger painting?
playdough?

Jana x

kindredspirits
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
hahaha!! i've got enough pee on the floor from george without getting a kitten as well!! and i think it might be cruelty to kittens!! :laughing:

brillminder
05-07-2008, 09:22 PM
stacking bricks and sorting shapes, buggy & dolls, cars, toy telephone, tea set, press and play music type toys !

sarah707
05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Some children quite happily sit and play for a while ... others need teaching to play.

Try sitting with him and showing him how to use his toys ... daft things like pretending to ring granny or opening the little doors on the pop up toy. It's more time consuming now but will pay dividends later.

Also take about half away (not all faves) for a week as sometimes children get overwhelmed and there's just too much to see and do, so they can't settle to any one thing. You can swap them round next week so he gets excited and interested in them again.

Ignore the housework for a bit as well ... or kick dh up the **** and get him helping. George will know if his mummy is tired and distracted and will play up.

You are not the world's worst mum ... trust me on that one. You are on here asking for a start ... the world's worst mum wouldn't care xx

manjay
05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
does he like messy play? try cornflour and water (& food colouring?)- you can do this outside;

shaving foam?
cooked rice /pasta?
water play?
water play outside with a paintbrush-they can paint the walls

sticking?
finger painting?
playdough?

Jana x

My ds (25 mths) and mindee (18 months) have absolutely loved this. They have been doing it all week. They think it is really funny that I am letting them "paint" the fence

kindredspirits
06-07-2008, 08:27 AM
do i understand this right??? a pot of water and a paintbrush on the fence?? sounds funny to watch!!

i have gone into 'minder' mode this morning - housework was done at 10pm last night and telly is off this morning so george gets my full attention, and i get his!! !:) thanks for all the advice, we'll work our way through the list, perhaps bypassig the kitten! lol

anna xx

Jinx
06-07-2008, 06:05 PM
My mindees, 17mths and 2yrs also love patio painting....

A bowl of water and 2 paint brushes, (nice big decorating ones) and they are happy for ages....last week they 'painted' the patio, wall and the back of the chair I was sitting on!

The 17mth old also enjoys playing with a toy cooker. He has pots and pans and fills them with shapes from the shape sorters, then stirs them all up.

Jinx x

crazybones
06-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Just thought I would share these pics of mine painting water because I love them :o

kindredspirits
06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
thanks i'll give that a go next time we get some dry weather!! :D just had another battle getting him to sleep, and i feel like just driving off into the sunset - things'll look brighter in the morning. :(

venus89
07-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Just thought I would share these pics of mine painting water because I love them :o

Wow Annie you're really tall! :laughing:

Try those paint pens you can get - I have Crayola ones and even the babies use those,......

kindredspirits
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
ohh those sound interesting??? where can i get them from? :thumbsup:

venus89
07-07-2008, 12:58 PM
ohh those sound interesting??? where can i get them from? :thumbsup:

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-43568

My Crayola ones were given to my kids when they were little, have seen a fair bit of use (though they'd MUCH rather fingerpaint :eek: ) and are still going strong.

They're well worth having if you fancy painting with minimum mess. And the paint's quite runny so they can get a fair bit on the paper and kind of fingerpaint with it if they want to....