PDA

View Full Version : Planning

chezzagriff
24-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Was wondering if my planning is ok? I am expecting a visit from Ofsted any time now (do they still ring a day or 2 in advance?) and I want to make sure that my planning is ok.
I do a weekly plan that has a section for the activity, target child(ren), resources and adult role. Do I need an evaluation box? Also I do my planning based on the childrens next steps and whilst having focus children the activities are for all of the children to join in.
Then I do yearly planning which is basically just a sheet with each month on and what celebrations or festivals I am going to do with the children and what activities we are going to do. Does this need to be more in depth?
Thanks all :D

Samcat
24-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I come from a nursery background where we were expected to do obscene amounts of pointless paperwork on our key children (at times I had 10 key children) - at least 1 obs per day a child attended, weekly plans, evaluations, next steps, links to Development Matters and one nursery gave us about 30 mins a week for paperwork if we were lucky. It was expected we'd complete it at home. So I found it very hard to get out of this mindset when I first became a CM.
When I did my SEF for my inspection in January I came to the conclusion I was doing far too much and said this to the Inspector, who agreed with me. Everything I needed was there, but too much of it! So, since then I have been gradually weaning myself off paperwork/obs/planning and cutting it down month by month.
I use Sarah's Play Plan (which I was using pre-inspection too) I'm rather pleased with May. I haven't managed to completely fill the obs page this month and my weekly child's interests/CM's planning are down to sentences of about 5 words if that. I don't plan anything out for the year, if the interest is there we'll do something. Nothing is set in stone. I don't group plan, I'm not a nursery and there aren't enough children here at any one time to warrant it.
I now aim for less is more! :)

CLL
25-05-2013, 06:20 AM
An evaluation section shows 'on action reflection'. If it is written down then she can see In black and white you have evaluated your practice. Just make it clear where your planned activities have steamed from I.e. how it links to observation and next steps.

nikkiv
25-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm in a similar situation came out of health and social care needed a forest of paperwork and Ofsted have said I'm doing too much and I need to step back! My focus now is cutting back and doing away! Would be interested in seeing Sarah's play plan where can I find this? :)

As Mes O said sometimes less is more ;) that has stuck firmly in my head! :)

Samcat
25-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Sarah's Play Plan! :)

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning-3.html

Rick
25-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Was wondering if my planning is ok? I am expecting a visit from Ofsted any time now (do they still ring a day or 2 in advance?) and I want to make sure that my planning is ok.
I do a weekly plan that has a section for the activity, target child(ren), resources and adult role. Do I need an evaluation box? Also I do my planning based on the childrens next steps and whilst having focus children the activities are for all of the children to join in.
Then I do yearly planning which is basically just a sheet with each month on and what celebrations or festivals I am going to do with the children and what activities we are going to do. Does this need to be more in depth?
Thanks all :D

My weekly planning sheet sounds the same and I do have an evaluation column too. Ofsted will be mainly concerned with your individual planning, linking to EYFS, what you have planned specifically for each child, following interests/needs etc. They might be interested that you evaluate on your weekly planning. I don't think Ofsted will be that interested in your yearly planning, the focus is how well you know your children.

I got a call about a month before 'the call' asking me how many EY children I had and on which days. My call came on Friday and she gave me Monday or Thursday the next week. It did give me the weekend to iron out paperwork etc

sarah707
26-05-2013, 01:02 PM
I use my weekly play plan - thank you Samcat!

I make little observations - for my part timers I aim for 1 x inside, 1 x outside, 1 x outing and 1 x home - plus if they go to another setting I try to get one from here - per month.

I do a longer focus obs about once every 2 months per child ... and of course I record learning characteristics but I do this over a longer period of 6 months to work alongside the children's summary assessments.

Just to clarify - summary assessments are not a requirement - I find them useful so I do them. Don't add to your paperwork burden if something doesn't work for you.

Ofsted want to see clear learning intentions for each child - you knowing the child well - you planning for the individual - you changing group planning to suit the individual... you including parent and other setting comments and planning from those...

Hth :D