PDA

View Full Version : Hitting

alex1604
24-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm hoping for advice as I've run out of ideas! My own DS 21 months old keeps hitting other children - mainly the 30 month old I look after but also other children when we are out. He doesn't hit hard but it's such hard work as I feel I have to follow him around constantly in case he tries to hit someone. He also tries to hit me when something doesn't go his way.

I really don't know what to do to stop it, if I tell him off in my sternest voice he just laughs at me. I've tried ignoring him as giving lots of attention to the other child as I thought maybe he was doing it to get my attention but that hasn't made a difference. I've also tried sitting him on the bottom step of the stairs like a 'naughty step' but that's just like a game to him which he finds hilarious so think he's too young for that!

He's a really gentle boy normally and gives lots of cuddles and kisses but then he'll suddenly just hit. It's such hard work and so embarrassing when we are out!

KatieFS
24-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Watching this with interest as have this issue with mindee, 19m. She is a bit of an emotional one and gets easily frustrated. Another hitting incident this week and it is always around sharing. The root is I think she is in own with mum and dad and doesn't need to share or compete for attention, where as at mine then she does have to share and I have others to take care of too. I don't think there is easy answer and we keep plugging away reminding her we don't hit. Parents have asked to try time out I think bit young for it to mean anything. Any suggestions would be great..

oxfordshirecm
24-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Is there any reason such as a trigger as to why he does it? If you followed him and observed- if you could find a trigger then you might be able to divert things when it's about to happen. Sarah advised me to do this when I asked about what to do with my biter... I followed him for a week and I soon realised when he was about to bite and was able to distract him.