PDA

View Full Version : Ratio's Question please advise me?

Hatchlings
23-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi this is a little complicated so will try make as simple a poss. Ok I have a lad who is 6 yrs coming to me after school 3 days per week, His younger sister ( I will call her BEEP ) who is 3yrs in augest is ment to be starting with me in sept when she starts nursery 2 afternoons a week for 3 hrs no problem will be still with in my numbers.

Ok she was booked to start august a couple hours a week as & when just to get her settled as the child minder she attends at the moment (3 days a week 8 hrs a day)
she took MONTHS to settle at & mum was worried as she is just starting to potty train her.

My ratios are

4& half yr old my own child starting full time school in sept.
2 yr old 5 afternoons a week 3 hours
2 & half yrs 5 mornings a week 4 hours. They are together by 90mins at lunch time so for that 90 mins i am full under 5yrs. ( except my's is at nursery 3 days )

OK HERE IS THE PROBLEM: The child minder who currently has BEEP has said that as of today she cant have BEEP as she is wetting the floor & sofa to many times & sick of washing it so until she is fully trained she don't want her. MUM arrived on my door to collect her son in tears ( the other childminders is the only one in a 11 mile radios & wont take the lad?? don't do older boys?? ) anyway If i ring ofsted & explain the mum has found a friend who can have her temp till 3rd June Then again from 8th July as she is away for a month on a cruse they will allow me to over lap & have 3 in my home under 5 yrs 2 days for 90 mins each day as mine is at school we have tried to sort as much as we can around this but the last 2 days we stuck mum is so scared what to do And to settle her in a place for just 4 weeks then remover her & finding somewhere help advice please I worried about ringing ofsted.:panic::panic:

pinkbutterfly
23-05-2013, 09:20 PM
No need to ring Ofsted. We can grant our own variations now. As BEEP is a sibling of an existing mindee I see no problem with having more EYFS children. But remember you must never exceed 6 under 8 (years old) rule. Just do a risk assessment on how you will cope with an extra child and off you go .... good luck

sing-low
23-05-2013, 09:24 PM
This is continuity of care, isn't it, as it's a sibling? From what I've read, I think this is ok if you do risk assessments to make sure that you can manage all the children. But I am a newbie here so don't take my word for it.

Rick
23-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Have a read of Sarah's summary

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/118933-changing-ratios-variations-reminder.html

Hatchlings
23-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Have a read of Sarah's summary

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/118933-changing-ratios-variations-reminder.html

many thanks this has helpped me & i will read it all again in the morning & will have a long think Contact insurance etc before i go any further thanks :thumbsup:

sarah707
24-05-2013, 06:54 AM
You don't need to contact Ofsted or your insurance company.

You have to make the decision for yourself - we can help and advise but it has to be your decision because you carry the can if anything goes wrong.

You can have 4 children under the age of 5 for continuity of care in exceptional circumstances only.

This is definitely exceptional circumstances - mum has been let down at the last minute - the child and mum are distressed - you already look after the child's sibling.

Is it continuity of care? Do you already look after the little girl? I am not absolutely clear on that one from your post.

If it is continuity of care then you need to follow the rules in here - Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

If it is not continuity of care - you don't look after the child already and you aren't simply extending her days - then the rules as they stand at the moment say you cannot take a new child on and have 4 under 5.

I hope that clarifies. If anything doesn't make sense please come back and check again x