PDA

View Full Version : Is the sea breeze dangerous?

CLL
23-05-2013, 06:13 PM
So, I mind a 12 mo boy and today he is coming down with a cold. I told mum tonight and she has said that it is because I took him for a walk along the sea front yesterday (we looked at boats and the lighthouse). It was a sunny afternoon, no wind and he had on a hoody and blanket. I told mum this but she said it was probably because of how dangerous the sea breeze is!!

Do any of you get things like this said to you by parents? She made me feel bad I took him out for the day.

supermumy
23-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Sea breeze dangerous wow! What next lol

vals
23-05-2013, 06:39 PM
I've had all sorts of daft things said like that, including I gave a child heat stroke! They were fine and didn't have anything wrong except a little bit tired.

rosebud
23-05-2013, 06:50 PM
How ridiculous! I gave a child two puddings in a day once and got told off - never mind I'd taken her out blackberry picking, helped her write a shopping list, taken her to the shop to buy ingredients and then helped her bake a pie!

clareelizabeth1
23-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Never heard that one. Taking my little one to the beach for the first weekend in June. Plan to have him in the sea breeze all day. I'll let you know if he gets a cold.

Bob
23-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Sea breeze is dangerous - now I find out - honestly they never mentioned that on my safeguarding course so I'm going to ask for some of the course fees back.

shortstuff
23-05-2013, 07:26 PM
sounds like a mum clutching at straws because she feels guilty for being at work while her Lo has fun x

Nicola Carlyle
23-05-2013, 09:08 PM
You CAN'T catch a cold from being outside in the cold weather. Yes if you have a cold and are in the cold weather it may not help the situation but you CAN'T catch a cold from the cold lol.

However I may be tempted to say i mentioned it to my development officer, child protection agency and called my health visitor just to make sure and none of them agreed he caught a cold from the sea breeze lol.

Some parents will say anything if they feel like they're missing out. x

Petshrinklj
23-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Oh dear how did you manage not to laugh. I think that's one of the bits of this job I might struggle with. I love it when my kids get lot of fresh especially costal air. They sleep so well after. :)

littlemiss60561
23-05-2013, 10:33 PM
I live fairly near the sea and I always have colds.. Now I know why! I'd hate to live actually on the front , can you imagine?? Man flu at least!
How ridiculous. And the myth from catching a cold when in the cold stems from parents struggling to get their kids to wear a flipping coat! Bit like if the wind changes you'll stay like that. Argh.. Imagine being in the sea breeze when the wind changes....eek!!

covgalxxx
24-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I moved near the sea nearly 3 years only had one cold seen I have been here and I live 10 mins away, my daughter always says she gets a beard from walking down the sea front, which that makes me laugh

phoenix2010
24-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Only yesterday I had a conversation with another childminder about how everything that happens to the children seems to be the childminders fault

I really do think that many parents these days struggle with taking any kind of responsibility or have much common sense

Apparently because I let a child sleep for one hour in the morning (well actually he usually crashes out on my floor) he wont sleep at night , yet if I dont let him sleep he falls asleep with mum in the afternoon?? This however doesnt effect his night , hhhhhmmmmmmm??

And I gave him a cold becasue I let him put his hands in the water tray in the garden to play on a sunny day , oh , so its not a virus spread by coughs and sneezes then?

I think your parent needs a leaflet about the common cold , Im surprised how uneducated some people are on basic health issues to be honest , Im also tired of taking the blame for everything the children catch and every habit the children develop that parents dont like.

CLL
24-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Thanks for making me feel better, had a little chuckle at all your posts. She is a little over protective at times and is always saying things like. 'If it is raining be sure to use a rain cover.' Hum, ok, I was wondering what that was for! I know she is happy with the service I provide but will often say that he likes it better here etc. maybe she is a little bit jealous, I hadn't really thought about that.

Becci26
24-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Lmao this did really make me chuckle,

I live 15 minutes from the sea and now I'm worried that we're all going to be ill, might have to move a bit more inland!

Seriously though, I've never heard anything so ridiculous, we always love a blast of sea air here!

mama2three
24-05-2013, 06:55 AM
I grew up by the sea too - ands have never heard it called dangerous! ( the breeze , not the sea!)
Didnt docs used to tell people to retire to the seaside for the good clean air?
It is very very good for making them tired though!!

lubeam
24-05-2013, 07:13 AM
My dad always said see breeze blows germs/hang overs/bad moods/ blues away ! I'm in my way to let him no how reckless he was!!! I'm surprised I'm not dead the amount of time ice spent in the sea breeze ! I must move to London for some smog!!! Lol :)

smurfette
24-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I live fairly near the sea and I always have colds.. Now I know why! I'd hate to live actually on the front , can you imagine?? Man flu at least!
How ridiculous. And the myth from catching a cold when in the cold stems from parents struggling to get their kids to wear a flipping coat! Bit like if the wind changes you'll stay like that. Argh.. Imagine being in the sea breeze when the wind changes....eek!!

Lol!! Love this!

bunyip
24-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Another example of bad science.

The common cold (acute nasopharygitis) is a virus. You catch it from other people. It is not blown in from off-shore like some spooky green mist in an episode of Scooby Doo. It's not going to survive very well in a sea breeze cos it doesn't like cold conditions. Far more likely to catch a cold indoors since homes, shops, public buildings are horrendously overheated these days, making perfect conditions for viruses to thrive and multiply rapidly.

If your parent thinks they'll catch a cold from a sea breeze, then the answer is simple. They're probably also stupid enough to believe they can cure it by popping a frog in their mouth and dancing 3 times around a broomstick. :doh:

christine e
24-05-2013, 07:41 AM
In the days of TB many of the hospitals and recovery homes were located by the sea because the sea air was considered to be better for recovery

Koala
24-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Don't you know that everything is your fault :laughing: , as has been said, some parents and it is getting increasingly more in my opinion, just cannot leave us cm alone.

Issues about sleep, coughs, colds, eating OMG just about everything.

Don't let it get you down, I have one parent at the moment who keeps telling me to change lo afternoon sleep from 12.30 to 12.45 to 12.30 to 1.00pm she's a bit nutty.
Another parent came in yesterday and said "don't let her have 4 hours sleep today because her dad did yesterday" well what can you do, it's now my fault that dad let her have a long sleep at home. :eek:

Just let it wash over your head, it's not worth the fight. Carry on as you are and get plenty of sea breeze!! It always makes me feel better!! :D

beachgirl29
24-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Yes its your fault you bad bad person! how dare you take that child outside!
How stupid of that parent to put the blame on you for a common cold! going to the sea front is a wonderful trip...all the things he can watch and learn. don't listen to her.

charlottenash
24-05-2013, 10:35 AM
It would give me a massive boost if I knew I was stuck in an office all day and my kids were out getting fresh air and sea breeze sleepiness! Better than the mundane nursery, or being at home with grandmas who want to sleep all the time ;)

Tealady
24-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Better than the mundane nursery, or being at home with grandmas who want to sleep all the time ;)

Or watch "Homes under the Hammer" or is that just my Mum

charlottenash
24-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Yes and re runs of the antiques roadshow!! 'Oh I've seen this one, that's a china bowl' really!!

bunyip
24-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Another parent came in yesterday and said "don't let her have 4 hours sleep today because her dad did yesterday" well what can you do, it's now my fault that dad let her have a long sleep at home. :eek:

:laughing:

I initially read that as if the dad had the 4 hours' sleep. Could you just check and get back to us on that one? :rolleyes: :D

oxfordshirecm
24-05-2013, 07:39 PM
The only time sea breeze was dangerous was when my own dd got her feet a little sun burnt due to me not realising how warm it was.... Due to the sea breeze lol