PDA

View Full Version : Going back to work work

mrsslosh
22-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Good Evening All,

After doing this job and loving it for 4.5 years I have now made the heart wrenching decision to go "out" to work. I have come to the point; after having difficulties with my 4 year old, that I can no longer be the Mummy he needs me to be and do this job. I am sure most of you childminding Mums out there will understand that even thou we are with out ow children we are not really here with them.

What I am hoping for is a little help with my CV, having been a PA and Office Manager before being made redundant whilst pregnant with my youngest, I have been offered the opportunity to have an "informal" chat with a foster agency, doing the admin support and helping in the office and getting involved with the families. It's something I really want to do and the money is just about allright. The problem I am having is putting my position as a childminder graded GOOD across is a "professional way"

I am now rambling

Xxx

sarah707
22-05-2013, 05:32 PM
You have gained huge amounts of experience as a childminder! Just think of all the jobs you do each day and all the multitasking!

Make a list of the things you do well in your role as a parent and childminder and really sell yourself :clapping:

KatieFS
22-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Loads of things you can use from childminding. Try and think of examples if handling difficult situations, etc. also childminding is coping with stressful situations, organisational skills and time management, imagination, self motivation, dealing with money and invoicing, marketing advertising, then all your knowledge if child development legislation health and safety...
Good luck x x

shortstuff
22-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Its a shame to lose another cm but you need to put your lo first so well done for making the tough decision. Take the time to make sure the next move will suit you and your family and good luck with it all.

The Juggler
22-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear you feel it's not working for you anymore but very happy for you that this opportunity has come up.

the 'personal statements' that you complete for local authority applications are good to help with this. Do they want a CV or if you apply will you need to complete one of these.

Basically they make you address each aspect of the person specification. Then you have to say what experience you have relevant to that area and then you need to say how the experience you have will help in this new role. It really helps get you thinking.

So try to group the new job into a few main areas, maybe

Working with families
Working with children
How you Work in a team (and multi agency professionals)
Admin and time management

Then look at what you did in your last role and do now - huge amounts of EYFS knowledge, admin galore (lol), how your jobs evidence you amazing time management capabilities, dealing with difficult parents, dealing with families when raising sensitive issues, any particular examples of anything that would really make you stand out.

Really you just need to convince them you can cope with and run the admin side for them for a smooth running office and that you have the ability to deal with the families involved.

If you DO have to send a CV you'll need to try to summarise this info for your covering letter and try to put it succintly into your personal statement at the top of your CV :thumbsup: Reed and Totaljobs have lots of CV writing advice on their website.

Good luck :thumbsup: