PDA

View Full Version : Playroom ideas

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Ive just posted a thread on ideas for the garden, now i want ideas and photos for my new playroom
Im excited, but sad. My eldest son is moving out in a few weeks :( and his bedroom is downstair and has french doors that open into the back garden so calling out to be playroom.
Just dont know where to start

munch149
22-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Buy decent storage for toys to keep it tidy. Expedit and trofast from IKEA tend to be a favourite. If you have littlies who you bottle feed I would recommend a comfy chair or sofa so you can feed one whilst the others play

blue bear
22-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I have a permanent craft area in mine, it seems scary at first leaving paint glue etc out for them to help themselves but once the novelty wears off its great, the children are really independent and can be creative when they want to not just when I have time to get the paint off the shelf and watch them closely.

lisbet
22-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I have a permanent craft area in mine, it seems scary at first leaving paint glue etc out for them to help themselves but once the novelty wears off its great, the children are really independent and can be creative when they want to not just when I have time to get the paint off the shelf and watch them closely.

Sorry to ask on your thread adedwards68 :o but blue bear, love that idea! :) Can I ask how old your mindees are?

blue bear
22-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry to ask on your thread adedwards68 :o but blue bear, love that idea! :) Can I ask how old your mindees are?

11 month,15 months, 2,3,3, and 3.(all part time)

But Ive done this for years so they have all been babies and grown up with the idea. It's just the way it is here.

lisbet
22-05-2013, 06:05 PM

But Ive done this for years so they have all been babies and grown up with the idea. It's just the way it is here.

Excellent! :D I thought you might say they were all older, but that gives me inspiration that I might be able to do the same with my children due to start in September. :jump for joy:

dette
22-05-2013, 06:11 PM

this is what I'm planning to do but not sure about what table to use. I think a low coffee table might work ,what do you use

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I've already got some of the ikea lack tables, they're not too expensive to buy and you could cover them with a PVC cloth

oxfordshirecm
22-05-2013, 06:38 PM
I tried this but my 3 year olds decided to paint the walls floors themselves- actually everything apart from the paper so was put off by doing it again lol

blue bear
22-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I have a couple of old school tables, but any sturdy table will work, i find if they are a bit higher so littlies aren't tempted to climb on it is better. Mines nice and big and against the wall so things can be left out but don't keep falling off the table. I put some stuff in drawers so they have to deliberately choose to get things out not just rampage the place.
I have things in clear tubs, so stickers, chalk pens in tubs, glue sticks in clear tubs with lids on. I've found having lids on means they don't just tip it everywhere.
I started off with just chalks and crayons, then tried roller ball and sponge bottle paints, then glue sticks, i bought pva in a big gallon container from crafty crocodiles with a pump. I use washed out hand wash bottles for paints, when they have to pump it out they make less mess than pouring out bottles and you can limit the amount they have access to. we use mini yogurt pots as pallets so they can only pump out so much paint.
I started off with the free access to paint outside, I fastened a piece of plastic shed window stuff to the wall and they paint on there and it just washes off in the rain.
To begin with I only left out the paint brushes so if they felt like painting they would show me the brush and i would get the paint.
I wouldn't just set it all up on day and leave them to it, introduce it one item at a time showing them how you want them to use it (so not on walls etc) build it up steadily.

lisbet
22-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Brilliant tips, thank you! :) Love the handwash paint pump idea. :thumbsup:

smurfette
22-05-2013, 11:00 PM

Don't the babies eat the crayons?! Mine do!!

smurfette
23-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Don't the babies eat the crayons?! Mine do!!