PDA

View Full Version : New enquiry could mean giving notice to another family...

Annabelle
22-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Sorry about the title, I didn't know how to phrase this;

I have got 3 spaces coming up in September which I am struggling to fill, I've had an enquiry to look after a little one 8am-6pm. He would fill one day of my spaces but the new mum can only do 2 certain days and I am full on the other day she needs. I asked one of the other parents whether they could swop days and she said no, due to work/course etc.

The new child would be 2 days, 8am-6pm while the other child is also 2 days but just 9.30-2.30. My husband said I'd be stupid to turn the new family away as its more money and 2 full days etc, I don't feel comfortable giving notice to the lovely family currently taking up the space...

Is it the right thing to do or do I just say no to the new family?!

Mouse
22-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Personally I would say I couldn't take on the new family as I wouldn't give notice just because something better has come along.

But, it's your business, so you have to do what is right for you.

munch149
22-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I agree I wouldn't drop the mindee they had the space first but again it's your choice

QualityCare
22-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm with mouse on this one its not something l have ever done or would do.

JCrakers
22-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't.

Firstly the child would be disrupted for no reason of his/her fault. Parents would be put in a position of having to find a new childminder and settle their little one back in again and thirdly, there is a chance that the new child won't settle and then you'll be left with none.

I know its so hard when you think about the money especially when bills have to be paid. Could you not offer the days you have free and then a space may become available in the future.....prob won't help, but worth a try.

mrs robbie williams
22-05-2013, 12:51 PM
No I wouldn't drop an existing mindee as don't think it's fair but as others have said it is ur business so ur rules x

Annabelle
22-05-2013, 01:03 PM
I agree with you, its just hard as I'm finding it difficult to fill the spaces, term time only and on Mondays and Thursdays, most people seem to want to work 2 days together or need the full year. I had a woman come the other day who would have been able to use the days etc, but my daughter happened to be in an awful mood and I think she left reeling that her daughter might be left in my hands....!!!
I'm sure something will come along :eek:

Koala
22-05-2013, 01:12 PM
As others have said it's bad practice to drop mindees to take on better hours but you can't live on fresh air.

This is why I always charge a full day rate for my places. No matter what they attend I charge £34.00 because I cannot afford places to go for less, we are restricted by numbers and therefore we have to establish a business mind and charge a business rate.

I presume you only charge 5 hours for your current mindee and your new one would be 10 hours so in effect double.
I can see where your husband is coming from and I would be tempted to take the new business too if I were in your shoes.
I would probably consider bringing in a minimum day rate for your current mindee and in this way you are safeguarding your business. It sounds harsh but, you are running a business as well as a care facility.

It may sound like I count the pennies before the care but I really don't, I provide excellent care for all my children but I still have to pay the bills. :thumbsup: like everyone.

hectors house
22-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't give notice - better the devil you know and all that! Could you offer your current parents an incentive for recommending you to their friends to help fill your spaces eg: some free childcare or babysitting hours.

Or last year when I announced an hourly rate increase I said that if anyone wanted to increase a day then the rate would stay at old rate for an extra 6 months - I had 2 parents increase a day which filled my spaces perfectly.

Just had a Friday become available and a mindees mum recommended me to a friend who luckily is self employed so filled Friday space again.

greanan
22-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I couldn't give notice to any of families just because better hours have come up. I'd feel awful!!!

toddlers896
22-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I've just done something similar.child A was only two days a week and child B wanted five mornings a week. B suited my working pattern better but then child A asked if I could do an extra two days which I couldn't because IDE already agreed to take on child B so it was made a bit easier for me, however saying that if they didn't ask for extra days I still would have terminated the contract. I think you have to do what works into your daily routine better.Yes I agree its not good to let parents down but it all depends on other issues with parents/children etc.