PDA

View Full Version : Baby ratios

Miss freckles
22-05-2013, 09:52 AM
I know there are so many ratio threads but I just need people to reassure me on what to do.
I've only been registered since last month but have always thought the rules were no more than one under one unless circumstances such as looking after twins, but the last couple of weeks I've seen and heard a lot of information about how people are having two babies under one at some stage while I'm not convinced this is the correct thing to do.

I have just had an enquiry for a parent who want me to care for her 8mth old every Friday all day from the second week of June now I already have an 11 mth old who i have every morning til 1pm who will turn one on the 23rd June, so it works out I would have 2 or 3 friday mornings with two babies. Would this be acceptable or not?

Before I would of said no but with all the talk of variations going on I don't want to turn away work for the sake of 2 or 3 mornings, I have no doubt that I could care for both babies for this amount of time.

What does everyone think? I have to ring the potential parent back in a couple of hours, help!

Tealady
22-05-2013, 10:02 AM
You are right, you can't do it as it's new business.

If the baby starting was a sibling of a current mindee then you could or if they normally came on another day as your only baby but wanted to up their hours or swap days. However this would all be subject to risk assessments and no other parent's having concerns.

Other CM's may flout the rules but I wouldn't risk it even though it is so frustrating for the sake of a few hours.

smurfette
22-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Do you think mum might manage with a relative or friend looking after Lo those two or three days and then starting with you when other one has the birthday?

Miss freckles
22-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks, I did think I was right, just so much stuff flying round at the moment you question things, well I rang mum to explain that I wouldn't be able to do the care until the end of June if that helped and works out that she doesn't actually need me til the end of June anyway, so all sorted!

jackie 7
22-05-2013, 01:53 PM
When I had been asked about having 2 under 1 I talked to ofsted. 1 was going to be 1 in a month. I was given a variation for the month.

smurfette
22-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks, I did think I was right, just so much stuff flying round at the moment you question things, well I rang mum to explain that I wouldn't be able to do the care until the end of June if that helped and works out that she doesn't actually need me til the end of June anyway, so all sorted!

Fab! Love it when a plan comes together!

sarah707
22-05-2013, 05:35 PM
When I had been asked about having 2 under 1 I talked to ofsted. 1 was going to be 1 in a month. I was given a variation for the month.

Unfortunately the rules have changed since then Jackie!

While we used to be able to do it with an ok from Ofsted - now we have to follow the rules of the EYFS.

The rules are clear that variations can only be organised in exceptional circumstances for continuity of care - NOT new business - and NOT 2 under one unless it's an exceptional circumstance.

I hope that helps if you get asked again - and I am pleased it resolved itself :D