PDA

View Full Version : Who pays if I loose a shoe?

Glitter
22-05-2013, 08:57 AM
I nearly lost a mindee's shoe the other day. It dropped of his foot while he was in the pushchair and I didn't notice, it was only because a nice lady saw and gave it back that I did not loose it.

I just wondered if I had lost the shoe would I have to pay for a replacement, or would the parents pay?

Anyone had experience of this? If the shoe fell of once, it could happen again so I want to be prepared for what to do.

chriss
22-05-2013, 09:02 AM
good question, never even thought of that one. Think I would feel obliged to pay up, or contribute at least, and shoes aren't cheap are they. As if we don't have enough to think about !!

Tazmin68
22-05-2013, 09:10 AM
A difficult one. I had a mindee lose a boot off a snowsuit once in a supermarket and fortunately I retraced my steps and found it. I would probably pay towards replacing as happened while child was in my care.

kellib
22-05-2013, 09:24 AM
My very first mindee lost her shoe the first week I had her!

I retraced my steps numerous times that day and couldn't find it, I felt awful!

I offered to pay for a new pair of shoes but mum didn't take me up on it, thankfully!

Marshmallow
22-05-2013, 09:33 AM
We had had the decorators in and a Mindee hung his coat on the freshly painted banister, making a tiny mark on the inside of his coat, I swiftly cleaned it off, thought nothing of it.
:panic:

Next day Mindee innocently says whilst eating lunch ' Dad says, you marked my coat, you can damn well buy a new one ':censored: Kids :littleangel: eh ?

I was soooo crossed :angry: I went straight to Next and replaced it, giving it to a very embarrassed Dad. :clapping:
Mum instantly refunded my monies by bacs as that's how she paid her bill, and swiftly put Dad in his place :D

( Hee hee )

Tealady
22-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I had this. It went missing at a toddler group on the last day of term. I offered to pay and even take the LO shopping for the new ones the very next morning so they weren't inconvenienced. Mum was really snotty, said she would have to speak with Dad about it all. Anybody would have thought I lost the child, not the shoe!

Anyway they bought shoes, I deducted money off bill, First day back at toddlers the shoe was found right at the back of the toy cooker. Still fitted LO but funnily enough they never offered any money back to me

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I know it's not childminding but if a child looses something at school and how often does that happen when someone takes home someone else's jumper and never returns it, do we expect the school to pay for a new one

Nicola Carlyle
22-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I know it's not childminding but if a child looses something at school and how often does that happen when someone takes home someone else's jumper and never returns it, do we expect the school to pay for a new one

After 8 brand new cardigans in 6 months yes I did and they were furious! Obviously targeted (head teachers words not mine) but he saw my point and yes there were name tags in them all.

On a different note, I do have a personal possession policy that clearly stares while I do my best to ensure children depart with everything they came with its not always possible due to things being misplaced. I will try my best to find missing items but I can't guarantee it. Parents have all signed and had no questions about it. Just a thought guys.

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Think i'll add that to my list of policies

JoRo163
22-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I've lost socks, a boot, and numerous items of clothing! I personally wouldn't offer to pay, even when I feel bad! Otherwise where does it end? I've had parents swear blind mindee came to me with a certain item of clothing and gone home without it, only for it to turn up at home days later!!! The latest being a lost book bag and school cardigan (yesterday mum moaned at me), well after 3 days of searching the book bag was found in the laundry basket at her house and the cardigan was at school.

But in answer to the op, children lose things. While we can do our very best to make sure items of clothing, dummies, soft toys etc are kept safe, inevitably there will be times when things get misplaced. Parents should understand this...

LauraS
22-05-2013, 10:54 AM
For a school aged child, I am of the opinion that they are responsible.for their own belongings in the majority of circumstances. However, a one or two year old does not have the capability to look after their own belongings, and so I take the view that their things are my responsibility. I have lost a shoe once, and asked mum to replace it and I would reimburse. I didn't deliberately lose it, but nonetheless it was my fault.

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 11:54 AM
For a school aged child, I am of the opinion that they are responsible.for their own belongings in the majority of circumstances. However, a one or two year old does not have the capability to look after their own belongings, and so I take the view that their things are my responsibility. I have lost a shoe once, and asked mum to replace it and I would reimburse. I didn't deliberately lose it, but nonetheless it was my fault.

Really? I've lost count of the times I've sent my kids into school to look for something lost and they'll walk into the classroom and unless it jumps out at them they come out and say no its not there!
My point with school was when somebody else picks up something not belonging to them takes it home and if and when they realise its not theirs don't bother bringing it back to school.

munch149
22-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I would feel bad but wouldn't pay. A nursery sure wouldn't or a school and like other posters have said things were said to be lost at mine then turn up elsewhere. Anything the choose to send there child with runs the risk of getting lost

lozzy23
22-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I had a child that purposely kept taking off his shoes when in the buggy, luckily most of the time I would run over them with the back wheels of the pram. A couple of times they did get lost so I retraced my steps and found them and one time my DH rode his bike through the park and found LO's shoe for me. I decided enough was enough and I did not put his shoes on when he was in the buggy and put a blanket over his legs or a footmuff.

I have not been so lucky with mittens/gloves though. I have offered to buy replacements (not quite as expensive as shoes!), but none of my parents have taken me up on it.

SammySplodger
22-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I have a personal possessions policy to cover this sort of thing. Basically, no I would not pay.

Have had several babies who removed their shoes and socks and randomly threw them out of the buggy, so I now take them off when they get in, pop on a pair of my sons old toddler socks instead to keep feet warm.

supermumy
22-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Don't agree sorry
My child is 10 and is constantly having jumpers jacket even a pair of trousers after swimming (yep went mad at that one) nicked from school
I will say nicked as all her stuff is clearly labeled and in her classroom! and could easly be returned but never does!
What does school say we're sorry but it happens!
Lmao

wendywu
22-05-2013, 01:51 PM
When babies remove their shoes all the time they go into their bag. I have a 2year old mindee who i remove her shoes at toddler groups.

I do tell mum that they keep taking their shoes off when they are at an age when they can walk so it is not my fault if the child ends up with one missing.

kel1983
22-05-2013, 04:27 PM
We mind a 14 mo who is not yet walking. He has a pair of clarks shoes which lo takes off very easily. His mum told us last week he dropped one on the way home and luckily a lady following spotted it. We tend to not worry about his shoes if we are popping to the library etc as we don want to be responsible for loosing them

MaryMary
22-05-2013, 04:52 PM
The real problem comes when parents buy ridiculously expensive shoes for their children! For example, a CM friend looked after a baby (from 8 months) who had Ugg boots (the real ones). She would take them off her in the buggy. She also has a really tacky pair of plastic shoes that are apparently Vivienne Westwood and cost about £50!! :panic: It is not fair on CM's to dress children in this way IMO as it is a lot of unnecessary responsibility IYSWIM. It is not just about losing these items, but when we let children play (as they should!!) they may also get dirty. Children should be allowed to get dirty without us having to fret about precious clothes!!

funemnx
22-05-2013, 06:23 PM
For babies I have have offered to pay for replacements but luckily the parents have said no worries but for school children - NO!

LauraS
22-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Really? I've lost count of the times I've sent my kids into school to look for something lost and they'll walk into the classroom and unless it jumps out at them they come out and say no its not there!
My point with school was when somebody else picks up something not belonging to them takes it home and if and when they realise its not theirs don't bother bringing it back to school.

I meant with regards mindees. As in if I took a school aged mindee to, say, soft play and they lost their socks, I wouldn't offer to replace as they are old enough to be responsible for them. I am careful with their things but bottom line is if they bring it to mine and lose it, tough. If it were a smaller mindee though I would feel that it was my responsibility to either look after their things or put them away to prevent loss

My kids are the same with school cardigans, hair slides, lunchboxes, they are forever being sent back in to retrieve something but ultimately the responsibility for their belongings lies with them, not with the teacher or the school. It's just one of those life lessons they have to learn.

LauraS
22-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Don't agree sorry
My child is 10 and is constantly having jumpers jacket even a pair of trousers after swimming (yep went mad at that one) nicked from school
I will say nicked as all her stuff is clearly labeled and in her classroom! and could easly be returned but never does!
What does school say we're sorry but it happens!
Lmao

Theft is different - I was talking about children losing possessions.