PDA

View Full Version : Stutter

alex1604
22-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Hoping for a bit of advice...

I have a mindee who is 2 and a half, I've had him since February. When he started his speech was good but over the last month or so he's developed a stutter (or it might be a stammer I'm not sure what the difference is). He basically struggles to get words out and says the first part of the word over and over before finally managing to say the word. It doesn't seem to bother him but wondering if there's anything I can do to help him.

I spoke to his mum about it who said she had a friend who's a speech therapist and had ask her about it. Apparently she said its nothing to worry about and he will grow out of it but wondering if I should be doing anything for him?

Thank you!

Cinnamon Sugar
22-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Hoping for a bit of advice...

I have a mindee who is 2 and a half, I've had him since February. When he started his speech was good but over the last month or so he's developed a stutter (or it might be a stammer I'm not sure what the difference is). He basically struggles to get words out and says the first part of the word over and over before finally managing to say the word. It doesn't seem to bother him but wondering if there's anything I can do to help him.

I spoke to his mum about it who said she had a friend who's a speech therapist and had ask her about it. Apparently she said its nothing to worry about and he will grow out of it but wondering if I should be doing anything for him?

Thank you!

Hi there, stutter/stammer it's an either/either thing :-) I think they use the word stammer more in America.
My son has a stammer and we had a few years of speech therapy when he was younger. He didn't grow out of it but many, many children do.
The main advice we were given is to make sure the child knows they have your attention, down at their level, looking at them encouragingly etc and to wait it out without being tempted to interrupt or say the word for them. We were also advised to slow our own speech down.
He probably will grow out of it, it's really common at this age as often they are thinking and processing faster than they can speak.

Sarsar3NCH
22-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your post, I have exactly the same situation.

Nicola Carlyle
22-05-2013, 09:15 AM
I know lots of children with the same issue at the moment. As has been days just wait it out. Make sure they can see that you are listening and don't finish what they are saying for them. Most children do grow out of it. x

JoRo163
22-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I have one going through this at the moment. Also age 2. Apparently it's because their brain is working faster than they are able to speak. It can disappear as fast as it started. I would'nt worry at this stage...

alex1604
22-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Great thanks for your advice! That's what I'm doing already so hopefully he'll grow out of it in time.

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Yes my son did this when he was younger and grew out of it as well