PDA

View Full Version : 15 months- pushing, throwing etc- help!

samb
22-05-2013, 07:50 AM
So mindee 15 months is ever so cute and makes cute cooing noises and has a gorgeous smile- but I can't put food on highchair tray as she throws or swipes it off, can't give her snack on mat with everyone else as she grabs their bowls and throws them, she pushes children and toys over all day, picks up toys (for example just gabbed the barn from the little people farm which was attached to the fences and another building, and threw) and then throws them or shakes them and then throws them, tips every box out and pushes everything around the room, pushes the chairs for the little child's table over etc! I have her 30-37 hours a week and had her for 3 months now and its not improving. She doesn't do it to hurt or deliberately take things from others etc I think she jut hasn't learnt to control her movements constructively. I can get her to engage in an activity particularly. Any tips gratefully received!!! Ps she is like this at home too and out at groups. This morning she pushed over my heavy dining chair- luckily it didn't hit anyone but even if it just hit me it would hurt as they are heavy- I thought too heavy for her to push! She is also tiny- in 9-12 month clothes so not as though big and bolshy! Help!

teacake2
22-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I have got her twin, a boy, he is so strong it is unbelievable, he can lift a large plastic box full of cars, trains etc which is very heavy and carry it round the room no problem. He has snapped the wooden train tracks in half, I can't do that, and this week alone he has broken the wooden garage and dolls house by picking them up and throwing them down really hard, again he is very small in stature, I dread to think what he will be like when he gets older:panic::panic::panic:
Teacake2

marie55
22-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Here's a couple of links you might find helpful. Channel the throwing into activities (Trajectory schema) and pass them on to parents as well for home :)

How do I stop my toddler from throwing things? | BabyCenter (http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-do-i-stop-my-toddler-from-throwing-things_14248.bc)

Schemas - dorsetforyou.com (http://www.dorsetforyou.com/357248)

jellytots2912
22-05-2013, 01:24 PM
So mindee 15 months is ever so cute and makes cute cooing noises and has a gorgeous smile- but I can't put food on highchair tray as she throws or swipes it off, can't give her snack on mat with everyone else as she grabs their bowls and throws them, she pushes children and toys over all day, picks up toys (for example just gabbed the barn from the little people farm which was attached to the fences and another building, and threw) and then throws them or shakes them and then throws them, tips every box out and pushes everything around the room, pushes the chairs for the little child's table over etc! I have her 30-37 hours a week and had her for 3 months now and its not improving. She doesn't do it to hurt or deliberately take things from others etc I think she jut hasn't learnt to control her movements constructively. I can get her to engage in an activity particularly. Any tips gratefully received!!! Ps she is like this at home too and out at groups. This morning she pushed over my heavy dining chair- luckily it didn't hit anyone but even if it just hit me it would hurt as they are heavy- I thought too heavy for her to push! She is also tiny- in 9-12 month clothes so not as though big and bolshy! Help!

Is this not just part of normal development I can see this in my son and to be honest a few kids the same age, he will often knock his food off his high hair especially when he has had enough, he pushes chairs out to climb on which drives me crazy, I think this is something she will grow out of my son is doing it less and less now but at one point it did drive me crazy :-) x

supermumy
22-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Is this not just part of normal development I can see this in my son and to be honest a few kids the same age, he will often knock his food off his high hair especially when he has had enough, he pushes chairs out to climb on which drives me crazy, I think this is something she will grow out of my son is doing it less and less now but at one point it did drive me crazy :-) x

Totally agree isn't this just normal behaviour is a child of this age ESP with toy boxes and food
But it would be good to look up the schema too :)

samb
22-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the schema links- I look after another child 1 day older and he although may knock things and tip out boxes etc does not to the extent that this little one does. Dont get me wrong yes its part of normal development but it really is extreme - maybe I wrote it too mildly?! And yes I'm sure its just a phase and she will grow out of it- but like any unwanted stage its good to have some ways of speeding up the process when it is affecting the other Children and when its slowing down the ability of other usual developmental stages- or example there's no way you could give her a spoon and bowl to try to feed herself yet as anything put on the tray is "swiped" not pushed off or pushed aside when she doesn't want it- literally every single item whether food or toy etc is just based with a whole arm swinging motion- if you hold a bowl still she will just keep whacking it and doesn't stop! It is hurting other children (ones much older) when she throws or pushes things into them etc. so jut hoping I can help her speed this stage on a bit and use that physical power for something more effective- if you see what I mean?

sarah707
22-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Have you tried shadowing her to see if there is a trigger?

Some children do it when they are bored - especially if they are very clever and it's free play time and they need a bit of channelling / directing :D

Rubybubbles
22-05-2013, 08:47 PM
My 18 month old mindie is like a bull in a China shop lol! We have just started to sit nicely for snack,shoes ect. It will get better
Mine runs everywhere, so holding hands to encourage walking, and lots of garden/ park time! The newest thing is racing up the garden with a pram lol.

Phew glad term time only, but so lovely hee hee