PDA

View Full Version : poor cm friend was inspcted last week...

marnieb
21-05-2013, 12:37 PM
....... and only got satisfactory.

After getting Outstanding 3 years ago!!! The inspector was horrible, barley looked at her paperwork, and was there for almost 4 hours!! My friend did loads with the 3 los she had, and after reading 3 stories to the kiddies the 2 yr old got up and walked away and the inspector told her off and said she should have engaged him more!!!! He;s jus 2 ffs!!!!!

In told her I'll go through the report when it comes and see if she can appeal. It really makes no sense, how can she get outstanding 3 yrs ago & go down to Satisfactory? i've obv helped her with all the paperwork & forms with all the help I've got from all of you lovley ladies, so all of that is better than it was, but if the inspector hardly looked at it then whats the point????

:angry:

~Grasshopper~
21-05-2013, 12:51 PM
aww thats awful my first inspection was like that, he was awful. shouted at me told me he normally inspected childrens centres. scared the kids and made me cry :(.

my paperwork was good and it was petty what he was telling me off for.

i didnt appeal as i couldnt go through it again tbh, its nearly time again though.

hugs to your friend

x

AliceK
21-05-2013, 12:57 PM
I had my latest inspection recently and as I understand it they only look at a sample of your paperwork now rather than looking at everything. I made sure I pointed certain things out to her so that she knew I had done it.

Hugs to your friend :group hug:

xxxx

jackie 7
21-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Why is this happening more and more? Is it part of the plan to get us to join an agency? An inspector shouted at you? No way that is verbal abuse. You should have told him to leave ant that you were reporting him to the police.

Wheelybug
21-05-2013, 01:33 PM
A childminding friend of mine also got downgraded in their inspection recently. I've helped them write a letter appealing against it and complaining about the way the inspection was carried out. Definitely seems to be something of a pattern lately:panic:

Cathy

The Juggler
21-05-2013, 01:35 PM
clearly this inspector has no clue about the development of children in the early years - therefore I would question his ability to inspect an early years setting :panic: your poor friend. I would def. complain about him and insist on reinspection:panic:

nell57
21-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I too have had my inspection recently and I'm currently going through the most horrendous time.Ive had the most amazing support from my family and friends, a few who are members on here. When I feel stronger I will post on my experience:(

JCrakers
21-05-2013, 01:39 PM
If anyone came into my house and shouted at me or made me cry I would be putting a very serious complaint in....

Going from outstanding to satisfactory and being told that a 2yr old should have sat down and listened to the whole story is not on in my opinion... I have a 2yr old and I'm lucky if he sits down for two pages

MessybutHappy
21-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Didn't want to read and not say how sorry I am for your friend - that's a serious jump down, and she must be feeling rubbish, no matter how much we say "it doesn't matter they're only there four hours, what do they know", it DOES matter.
I'd agree with previous posts - asking a two year old to sit still for a story is nigh on impossible on some days! Anything more we can do to help?

clareelizabeth1
21-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Sounds like the inspectors badly need inspecting. Does not sound right definitely make a complaint. Hope your friend is ok.

christine e
21-05-2013, 04:49 PM
If anyone came into my house and shouted at me or made me cry I would be putting a very serious complaint in....

Going from outstanding to satisfactory and being told that a 2yr old should have sat down and listened to the whole story is not on in my opinion... I have a 2yr old and I'm lucky if he sits down for two pages

I would ask them to leave - no way does anyone shout at me and be disrespectful in my own home

sarah707
21-05-2013, 05:14 PM
I too have had my inspection recently and I'm currently going through the most horrendous time.Ive had the most amazing support from my family and friends, a few who are members on here. When I feel stronger I will post on my experience:(

You know where I am if I can help in any way. I have sent a pm xx

lozzy23
21-05-2013, 05:27 PM
What a terrible experience for your friend. :group hug: I hope she will feel strong enough to put in a complaint.

I bet she is thankful for you support at this time.x

nikkiv
21-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I've experienced this last week, one of the comments was craft catalogues are for parents and not for childminders and a comment of why a nearly two year old drew pen on his hand orange crayola pen!!!
Went from good with 4 areas of outstanding to satisfactory!
I've taken it as a learning curve in not beating myself up as all of my referrals come through word of mouth or my website ;)

jadavi
22-05-2013, 01:51 AM
I wonder if there is anything was can do about this kind of thing happening - as a group.
They have clearly been told to be much more critical and it seems to have confused a lot of inspectors who are making ridiculous judgements.
Could we apply the same activist power to protest against this as we have with Truss?

mum26
22-05-2013, 05:58 AM
This may already have been posted - sorry if it has, but it doesn't appear that it is only childminders who are not happy with inspections:-

Nursery complaints about Ofsted inspection on the rise | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1182705/Nursery-complaints-Ofsted-inspection-rise/)

Mine is due next year and dreading it already - so much depends upon the inspector on the day.

CLL
22-05-2013, 05:59 AM
I feel so sorry for your friend, what a horrible experience and very humiliating too. I am due my first graded in 2 months and now I am getting worried. I had hoped that if I didn't get the grade I wanted it would be because I didn't do enough work beforehand. Seems like it is pot luck instead!

TooEarlyForGin?
22-05-2013, 06:43 AM
This all sounds terrible, they are definitely moving towards the "education" aspect.

Next we will be told that allowing them to sleep or changing nappies is wasting valuable educational time...

As for feeding the ducks.......

I have a two yo that refuses to paint, she just loves squelching her hands in the paint, am I going to stop her? Think not.

hectors house
22-05-2013, 06:48 AM
I've experienced this last week, one of the comments was craft catalogues are for parents and not for childminders and a comment of why a nearly two year old drew pen on his hand orange crayola pen!!!
Went from good with 4 areas of outstanding to satisfactory!
I've taken it as a learning curve in not beating myself up as all of my referrals come through word of mouth or my website ;)

I actually draw on one mindees hand for him (between his thumb and next finger) - it helps him position his pen correctly so he can draw on the paper or his other hand should he so wish!:laughing:

And two year olds generally do what they want anyway whether it is drawing on hands instead of paper or deciding half way through a story that they would prefer to be doing anything else. Would the inspector rather we pinned children down to make sure they don't wander off?

angeldelight
22-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm hearing of this more and more lately and I'm not getting it

I hope your friend does appeal

Nell 57 I did reply to you earlier on fb

Angel xxx

nell57
22-05-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm hearing of this more and more lately and I'm not getting it

I hope your friend does appeal

Nell 57 I did reply to you earlier on fb

Angel xxx

I have replied now, sorry it was a long one again :blush:

loocyloo
22-05-2013, 08:26 AM
i'm due an inspection at some point! i'm wondering about asking my DO to come and be a 'silent observer' or whatever they are called, in case i get one of these inspectors who doesn't know what they are inspecting!

nikkiv
22-05-2013, 09:11 AM
I actually draw on one mindees hand for him (between his thumb and next finger) - it helps him position his pen correctly so he can draw on the paper or his other hand should he so wish!:laughing:

And two year olds generally do what they want anyway whether it is drawing on hands instead of paper or deciding half way through a story that they would prefer to be doing anything else. Would the inspector rather we pinned children down to make sure they don't wander off?

Or dress them in plastic suits, he just had an umpa lumpa tinge to him which his mum loved ;)

Tazmin68
22-05-2013, 09:16 AM
On my very first inspection I had a not so old inspector who pointed out that she did not like childminders she came from a nursery background so not to expect anything good or outstanding and when she noticed I had pets pointed out that is not very good either.

As it wax my first inspection I just took it. If I had her now I would be asking her to exchange my details with another inspector who has no hang ups with regards to childminders and pets. I have learned to stick up for myself.

Ripeberry
22-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I've got my inspection this year and I feel 'doomed' already. No way would I get the same grade again. I'm not going to bust a gut over it. Especially with all the uncertainty about agencies.

Rubybubbles
22-05-2013, 03:06 PM
i'm due an inspection at some point! i'm wondering about asking my DO to come and be a 'silent observer' or whatever they are called, in case i get one of these inspectors who doesn't know what they are inspecting!

Do you know what, that's a great idea, after all round here they come for a inspection check and I'm following their guidance.

vals
23-05-2013, 06:29 AM
There is available a list of how they grade us and what they look for. I would suggest that everyone has a copy and checks through it before their inspection, and keeps it out when they come. They are meant to only use that criteria to grade us. Sorry I haven't got a link for it at the moment.
Also, when you get the call, make sure you get the inspectors names, then look up their previous inspection reports - that will give you an idea of anything they are picking on.

Carla Watts
23-05-2013, 10:34 AM
So what are they actually looking for??????

I can't veleive what i'm reading, its discusting. If anyone spoke to me like that, they will be out the door. I am good at my job, I do everything by the book. I look after my children well, and my parents. How dare they , so rude!!! My inspection was due last October, still waiting!!!!

Emmalou77
23-05-2013, 02:15 PM
love your idea idea Val about getting the low down on your inspector :-)

sarah707
23-05-2013, 04:53 PM
So what are they actually looking for??????

I can't veleive what i'm reading, its discusting. If anyone spoke to me like that, they will be out the door. I am good at my job, I do everything by the book. I look after my children well, and my parents. How dare they , so rude!!! My inspection was due last October, still waiting!!!!

The focus is very much on educational outcomes at the moment - why you are doing activities, are you stretching the children, what their daily learning intentions are... those sorts of things.

My last 2 inspectors have been really lovely. I would not give house space to someone who was rude to me :( They have to follow a code of conduct.

Bear with me I am writing a thread about complaining during / after an inspection - it's nearly ready :thumbsup:

:D

nikkiv
23-05-2013, 05:32 PM
I was criticised for being too involved, she mentioned our spring display and said it had too much adult input :( it has some spring drawings from my 1 and 2 year olds. Some sheep which I cut out but the children have stuck cotton wool on, some bug shapes which I bought and they've decorated them with tissue paper, and some butterflies that the children have made. She said something about me cutting things out, when I said they had been purchased and the children choose through the craft catalogue what they would like to do she said craft catalog use are for parents, if they were interested in the themes then they will do things off of their own back to do with it :(

Felt very deflated after it but I've sat back now I'm taking it as a learning curve you can't please everyone all of the time!

nikkiv
23-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I was criticised for being too involved, she mentioned our spring display and said it had too much adult input :( it has some spring drawings from my 1 and 2 year olds. Some sheep which I cut out but the children have stuck cotton wool on, some bug shapes which I bought and they've decorated them with tissue paper, and some butterflies that the children have made. She said something about me cutting things out, when I said they had been purchased and the children choose through the craft catalogue what they would like to do she said craft catalog use are for parents, if they were interested in the themes then they will do things off of their own back to do with it :(

Felt very deflated after it but I've sat back now I'm taking it as a learning curve you can't please everyone all of the time!

Especially knowing I could have been inspected the next day by a different inspector and things may have been different :(

rosebud
23-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I've got my inspection this year and I feel 'doomed' already. No way would I get the same grade again. I'm not going to bust a gut over it. Especially with all the uncertainty about agencies.

Snap! I feel exactly like this although am not due for another year, I don't know how I got it in the first place.

Helen Dempster
23-05-2013, 08:57 PM
aww thats awful my first inspection was like that, he was awful. shouted at me told me he normally inspected childrens centres. scared the kids and made me cry :(.

my paperwork was good and it was petty what he was telling me off for.

i didnt appeal as i couldnt go through it again tbh, its nearly time again though.

hugs to your friend

x

I think I would have asked him to leave!

lubeam
23-05-2013, 09:25 PM
All this horridness by inspectors is just making the anticipation of an inspection so much worse !! I've only just been approved and I'm already dreading my first grading !!!! I think that's a good idea to have the gradings they work too out for when they come so they no they can't bully you :)
Hugs to op friend x

loocyloo
24-05-2013, 07:20 AM
The focus is very much on educational outcomes at the moment - why you are doing activities, are you stretching the children, what their daily learning intentions are... those sorts of things.

My last 2 inspectors have been really lovely. I would not give house space to someone who was rude to me :( They have to follow a code of conduct.

Bear with me I am writing a thread about complaining during / after an inspection - it's nearly ready :thumbsup:

:D

at the moment 4 of my LO are at nursery as well as with me, one is just about to start reception and is more than ready :D! when he is with me i am not stretching him per se - i'm just letting him explore and see what he wants to do ( also, as only here this term we are going out and about having lots of new experiences ). another LO really struggles with nursery and so on LO day with me i just let her potter as she needs a relaxing, stress free place to be. obviously we do activities and follow interests. but i'm very child led and just extend their learning as we go and i couldn't say what my daily learning intentions are!

LittleRhino
24-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I have just had my first grading inspection. I have only been minding for 5 weeks so just finding my feet and understanding my lo at 9 months old. The inspector was a really nice lady but I was disappointed as I was honest enoughy to say "I have filled in mu SEF but not the leadership and managment bit as at the moment as just got a good relationship with my mindee and I am just finding myself but have made notes" this strat away before she looked at anything else put me down to satisfactory!!!! She looked at my paperwork a bit and said it was very good and she was very impressed with the foundation I had made In such a short time. She wanted me to be able to reall off the EYFS and I mean reall it off I.e "which bit does this relate to" " If I said ****** where would you find it?" I do use the EYFS but I dont know it all off hand which I dont know any minder that would!! It all seamed more focused on my memory than how I was looking after my mindee!!!!! Oh well will know for 3 years time lol x

lisbet
24-05-2013, 11:43 AM
*hug* LittleRhino; that sounds harsh! :(