PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to go for it

aella851
21-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I went to the preregistration how to become a childminder course yesterday. Boy did I have brain ache after the information overload.
I have booked over the next month most of my courses I'm required to do.
Now I need to sort my house out and do a major declutter. Repair the wall in back garden. Housing association won't fix it as its a feature wall. Even though it was their when i moved in.
I spoke to one of the local childminders she said they don't have many in my area, and she has a waiting list. So I thought that was positive.
The policy's you have to write are scary, especially with my dyslexia.
Anyway ball is rolling Ekk

Rick
21-05-2013, 01:29 PM
It will be worth it in the end!

You should be able to find some policy examples on the Internet, on your course etc. if you know another childminder, you are permitted to use theirs as a base to do your own.

The Juggler
21-05-2013, 01:30 PM
wow! exciting. it is a bit of work building up your policies but you will get there :D

Petshrinklj
22-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Goodluck :)

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Have you hooked onto the cypop5 course, I had to wait a few months to get onto the next course, but booked my first aid course as I knew I had to have that before ofsted would register me

adedwards68
22-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Have you hooked onto the cypop5 course, I had to wait a few months to get onto the next course, but booked my first aid course as I knew I had to have that before ofsted would register me

I will add since I decided to book on the course it has so far taken me 7 months - and still waiting for ofsted to waive a disqualification. So it could be another 6-8 weeks

chriss
22-05-2013, 03:37 PM
and look on Bromley childminding, plenty of sample policies you can use and adapt to what you need :)

aella851
22-05-2013, 09:40 PM

What's the cypop5 course?

adedwards68
23-05-2013, 06:34 AM
It's the course that all new childminders have to attend, mine was 8 weeks long, 1 evening a week, or it can be done online

aella851
23-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I've not been told about this course. It isn't on the criteria for Staffordshire.

I have to do the eyfs, first aid, business and safeguarding 1a and 1b. Once I've completed these can apply for registration.

FussyElmo
23-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I've not been told about this course. It isn't on the criteria for Staffordshire.

I have to do the eyfs, first aid, business and safeguarding 1a and 1b. Once I've completed these can apply for registration.

All childminders have to do the cypop or whatever its called now. Who told you want you needed to do?

adedwards68
23-05-2013, 01:23 PM
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/guide-registration-early-years-register-childminder

Hopefully the link will take you to the ofsted website which tells you what you need to have done before they register you. This applies to every body in England

aella851
23-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Staffordshire I went on a pre registration course.

It's doesn't say and they didn't say anything about the cypop 5 course? On the ofsted application form its doesn't mention the cypop 5 course either?

This is the letter for the retraining courses.

Dear Prospective Childminder

Childminder training programme

The early years Foundation Stage framework (EYFS) States childminders must have completed a local authority approved training course which helps them understand and implement the EYFS before they can register with Ofsted.

To ensure that requirements are met the Local Authority have an approved training program to support prospective childminders.

Early Years foundation stage into practice
Business training for childminders
Paediatric first aid
Safeguarding awareness level 1 unit A
Safeguarding awareness level 1 unit B

Completion of the local authority training program will enable perspective childminders to:

Set up our sustainable high quality home based childcare provision.
Implement the EYFS into their everyday practice.
Recognised and respond appropriately to a comprehensive range of first aid emergencies.
Become familiar with procedures for identifying and reporting suspected abuse and consider the best ways in which early years practice can protect children and support families.
Become familiar with information sharing and inter agency working.

Petshrinklj
23-05-2013, 01:58 PM
It'll be the bit that says business training probably. It will be the next course your local authority will book you on after you've done your pre reg. it'll cover policy writing and stuff. Don't worry I'm sure they know what they are doing and they will have you on the right course :)

adedwards68
23-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Phone your LA and they will tell you if you're booked onto the right courses

Smiley
23-05-2013, 03:01 PM
It does not have to be CYPOP 5 but must be a local authority approved course, so back to LA's having different criteria

aella851
23-05-2013, 07:18 PM
It does not have to be CYPOP 5 but must be a local authority approved course, so back to LA's having different criteria

It is a local authority course that I'm doing.

Thank you

covgalxxx
24-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Well I did my icp which I'm guessing is what it was called before, as soon as I finished my icp I got pregnant and was very ill with it so had to start up again, I asked my development worker about starting up again, she said I didn't have to repeat the course which I through I did, but to the revised eyfs, she said I was ready, so now just in the waiting game now, but I wanted to know is why they change the icp to the cypops 5 whats the difference?

Carolc
24-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Why is it so hard for you guys to register down south? I'm in Scotland and all we have to do is make sure all our policies are to care inspectoraites standard, first aid, and that can be done within the first year of being registered. Interlinked smoke alarms. There are no courses that we have to do Xx

SammySplodger
24-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Well I did my icp which I'm guessing is what it was called before, as soon as I finished my icp I got pregnant and was very ill with it so had to start up again, I asked my development worker about starting up again, she said I didn't have to repeat the course which I through I did, but to the revised eyfs, she said I was ready, so now just in the waiting game now, but I wanted to know is why they change the icp to the cypops 5 whats the difference?

Hmmm that's interesting - my LA insisted I do CYPOP 5 when I re-registered recently! I already have ICP. Did you De-register or just take a break?

adedwards68
24-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I've also been registered before and done the icon course and now I'm re registering and have had do to the cypop 5 course
Personally , though its a nuisance, there have been so many changes recently, it does update you on those changes
Shouldn't all childminders be expected to do the same courses regardless of what county you live in?

adedwards68
24-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I've also been registered before and done the icon course and now I'm re registering and have had do to the cypop 5 course
Personally , though its a nuisance, there have been so many changes recently, it does update you on those changes
Shouldn't all childminders be expected to do the same courses regardless of what county you live in?

Stupid phone icp course!

covgalxxx
24-05-2013, 02:27 PM
She never said I had to, even when I went on the revised e

covgalxxx
24-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Stupid I pad.... Even when I went on the revised eyfs the staff there never said anything and I told them everything, I hope it's ok now cause I can't go back work now

SammySplodger
28-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I'd double check with Ofsted, I thought all re-reg and new reg post Sept had to to Cypop5.

At least, that's what they told me...