PDA

View Full Version : Tax return not one of my brightest ideas.

nipper
20-05-2013, 08:25 PM
So two nights ago I decided to get started on my tax return...oh my goodness. I'm six months in and fed up of trawling through receipts. Yes I admit I haven't been doing it as I go along:blush: but at least the receipts were all in the correct envelopes:rolleyes:No order to them whatsoever but at least they were in the right place!

Note to self: WHEN YOU DO INVOICES AT END OF MONTH, SORT OUT YOUR RECEIPTS TOO (AND PUT THEM ON YOUR SPREADSHEET ON THE LAPTOP):p

loocyloo
20-05-2013, 08:31 PM
for the past 9 years i have done the same thing!

last year i started putting each weeks into its own envelope and this year i have gone one better - i write all expenses plus mileage on each weeks envelope, include all receipts and then ADD it up, so when it gets to the end of the year, all i have to do is add up all the envelopes, work out my utilities etc and voila ! done! ...

that said ... i was totally up to date in the middle of march for 2012-13 ... i still have finished the year off and filed! :blush:

sarah707
21-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't log them in date order - just by month - I find that speeds things up a bit.

Keep going! :clapping:

tori4
21-05-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't log them in date order - just by month - I find that speeds things up a bit.

Ooh like this idea-

Rick
21-05-2013, 06:29 PM
So two nights ago I decided to get started on my tax return...oh my goodness. I'm six months in and fed up of trawling through receipts. Yes I admit I haven't been doing it as I go along:blush: but at least the receipts were all in the correct envelopes:rolleyes:No order to them whatsoever but at least they were in the right place!

Note to self: WHEN YOU DO INVOICES AT END OF MONTH, SORT OUT YOUR RECEIPTS TOO (AND PUT THEM ON YOUR SPREADSHEET ON THE LAPTOP):p

Have you seen this thread where a kind forum member has shared their spreadsheet?

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/104599-book-keeping-excel-workbook.html

littlemiss60561
21-05-2013, 07:30 PM

Aw genius... I assumed it had to be done in date order, even though I was told there is no set way to keep records....
Guess what I'll be doing on my day off now as it feels less stressfull already :clapping:
And I too am so far behind ( and not all receipts in correct envelopes...sigh...) and I vow each year NEVER to get behind again...
I've drawn so many lines under the mountains of backlog of everything that I've run out of imaginary ink! I'm actually tempted to be the glorified babysitter some people think we are, just so I can have a proper day off!

jackie 7
21-05-2013, 09:01 PM
As I rent I need certified accounts so I just cross out the non childminder bits and give to my accountant. She wine is not tax deductible v