PDA

View Full Version : Supporting all

Optimalstar
20-05-2013, 05:20 PM
One of my cming friends thanked me for inviting her into the FB page for independent cms. This set the topic off amongst others, including those not online. I feel, like many others, somewhat in the dark still with occasional glimpses of light but what about all those cms without the internet, how can we support them to remain independent? In the playground today I felt the most informed, and believe me that's stretching it, and I now fear they're looking to me to keep them updated :(

I'm looking for ideas for getting information out to those not online. Of course there's discussion at the school gate and playgroups but I tend to see the same handful of people. I did suggest to one cm we could form a sort of unofficial network to offer advice, support and the loose possibility of sorting group training ( should the agencies stay) out but the mere idea of having to organise anything just makes me want to run. I know there are those that are part of the quest(LA network) which could continue unofficially to support each other I guess.

Just thinking aloud and looking for some ideas.

sarah707
20-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I think that every area will need to elect someone to start a FB page or similar to offer local support and advice.

Through local pages, linking up to our Forum Independent Childminders FB page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/independentchildminders/, we will be able to support everyone who is proactive enough to want to find out information.

Those who are reticent to come online will need info sharing too - but I really don't know how they will get it if they are not prepared to go out and look for it - there won't be any LAs left to spoon feed them :(

Optimalstar
20-05-2013, 06:18 PM
It's the older generation at the school gate. They're not confident in the use of the computer let alone browsing/ researching online. I was explaining to one person how to access the training on the Pacey website. She's been a member for years but never logged onto the website. Technology scares a lot of people still.

PS not meaning to be ageist just in this case the individuals i am thinking about are older than me ;)

Simona
20-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Optimalstar...I think you are spot on...looking at small groups of cms who can support each other, share info and peer support and look for training that way
Apart from training we also need to look at CPD...two different things all together that many cms confuse

Training providers are aware that cms may lose the training from LAs or have to pay for it so they are preparing for this..if we have to pay we will also have the choice of who can train us
It shouldn't be that difficult if we can find colleagues that can commit to that rather than larger groups...and many cms will come to realise that the computer is a 'working' tool in future and yes...there may be no one to spoonfeed them!