PDA

View Full Version : I dont think there is, but Is there a way round this?

Kellyann36
20-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi, can someone just put my mind at rest? I have a brother and sister that I care for, the boy is 4 and will start school full time in September, the little girl is just about to turn one. I have both of them on Mondays, and just the baby on Wednesdays and Fridays. The mum has just asked if I will be able to have the boy on the Wednesdays with his sister during the holidays (as he goes to play school during term time) but I have my own little boy who is 22 months, another 22 month old and his sister ( the very almost 1 year old) on Wednesdays so have told her I don't think I can. It would literally be one day a week during holidays between now and september as he will count as a 5 year old in September. I can't help her, or can I? :D

clareelizabeth1
20-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes you could have him as continuity of care as long as you have enough equipment do proper risk assessment and parents of all children agree. At least I think that's how it goes.

Rick
20-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Yes he would be classed as out of your EY numbers anyway so it wouldn't even be continuity of care as you have your three regular EY children and an 'after-schoolie'.

Read this extract from the EYFS

3.40 If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby. If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.

supermumy
20-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes as he is in the raising 5 area :)

Tazmin68
20-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Yes as long as ra

partyrings
20-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Just be very careful. He does not become (if I read it correct) a rising 5 until he starts school in September. So would be going over your 3 under 5 ratios. I would check with Ofsted. A risk assessment 'could' cover it in the continuity of care...but just check to cover yourself :)

tulip0803
20-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes he would be classed as out of your EY numbers anyway so it wouldn't even be continuity of care as you have your three regular EY children and an 'after-schoolie'.

Read this extract from the EYFS

3.40 If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby. If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.

He wont have started school until September and cannot be classed as rising 5 until he is in school morning & afternoon 5 days a week (some schools have 1/2 days for a few weeks) in the new school term, so that part will have to wait until September BUT for continuity of care there is no prob.

JCrakers
20-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Ofsted won't be of any help in my experience. As long as you have risk assessed and made sure you have equipment and can manage all, then you'll be fine :)

shortstuff
20-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I agree he wont be a rising five until he is attending school full time which is sometimes not until november, depending on the school's system on gradual starts. He would be covered on continuity of care though.

One thing I am unsure about is didnt you discuss school holiday requirement at the start of the contract? this is the sort of thing you would normally find out at the beginning.

Kellyann36
20-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Just be very careful. He does not become (if I read it correct) a rising 5 until he starts school in September. So would be going over your 3 under 5 ratios. I would check with Ofsted. A risk assessment 'could' cover it in the continuity of care...but just check to cover yourself :)

That's what I was concerned about as he isn't in full time school
Yet? So she would want help next week at half term and also during the summer holidays, and after that he is classed as a 5 year old anyway?

Thanks for all your answers

Kellyann36
20-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I agree he wont be a rising five until he is attending school full time which is sometimes not until november, depending on the school's system on gradual starts. He would be covered on continuity of care though.

One thing I am unsure about is didnt you discuss school holiday requirement at the start of the contract? this is the sort of thing you would normally find out at the beginning.

We did discuss it. At first she wanted to keep it the same, and now she has changed her mind.

shortstuff
20-05-2013, 04:07 PM
We did discuss it. At first she wanted to keep it the same, and now she has changed her mind.

Fair enough, parents are good at that lol :D

Rick
20-05-2013, 04:13 PM
He wont have started school until September and cannot be classed as rising 5 until he is in school morning & afternoon 5 days a week (some schools have 1/2 days for a few weeks) in the new school term, so that part will have to wait until September BUT for continuity of care there is no prob.

Yes you are right! Continuity of care should be no problem so long as you RA and are happy to take on the extra child

sarah707
20-05-2013, 04:38 PM
You will find a sample RA and other information here - Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

:D

Kellyann36
Yes you are right! Continuity of care should be no problem so long as you RA and are happy to take on the extra child

Ok thanks everyone! How would I risk assess it differently to normal? Probably a really stupid question but I supervise well at all times and I have enough equipment and everything has already been risk assessed for normal numbers. What would I do differently?

Kellyann36
You will find a sample RA and other information here - Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

:D

Thank you Sarah! We posted at same time x