PDA

View Full Version : exclusion period for croup?

Memina
20-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Hello after a little advise how long would exclude for croup?

Thanks
M

Tealady
20-05-2013, 09:21 AM
There are no HPA guidelines so just when they are well enough to join in as normal, they can attend

Memina
20-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Was on my first aid Saturday and was told it is contagious as its an infection of the airways.

Will see how she gets on over the next few days.

Little Puddings
20-05-2013, 10:10 AM
My 10 year old daughter still gets croup particularly when the weather changes quickly wet/dry hot/cold. Luckily she doesn't get it as bad anymore and usually only has a barking cough first thing in the morning. I can tell on her voice if ahe has it and will ask 'have you got croup again?' She will always say no, a puff or two of ventoline and off she skips to school occasionally barking. She has never been excluded from nursery or school. I only ever keep her off if she has a secondary infection such ear infection or similar. By lunch it has normally settled down for her. She knows if it is a bad episodes and she can tell me of the ventoline doesn't work and she will have a short course of oral steriods.
I suppose it depends on what has triggered the episode. If they are well in themselves I can't see a problem. If it was bad I wouldn't leave my daughter with anyone as they can get rather stresswd when struggling to breathe. I would not exclude a child that only has the barking cough.

blue bear
20-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I was told by NHS direct and doc at hospital confirmed.
Croup is only contagious in under threes although older children get recurring bouts.
If you car for other under threes it's best to exclude until child with croup has cough under control to stop it being passed on as well as excellent hygiene routines.
If you only look after other over threes there is no need to exclude.
Hpa say no exclusion.