PDA

View Full Version : Lovely email to get while away on holidays!!

smurfette
19-05-2013, 08:20 AM
We have been in Portugal for a week and had a lovely time .. I deliberately didn't take my iPhone with me as I wanted peace and quiet to spend with my family, even though its normally attached to me!

However on Thursday I went online to my emails to print out our boarding passes for coming home only to find an email giving notice! Quote parent 'tell u now so you can put up an ad while you are away'!! What now?!!! Out of country with no Internet!! It was sent later the day we left, but she knew we were flying out at 6am as I had emailed to ask how little one was as he wasn't well earlier in day and I told her I had been running around madly packing.!

I am really gutted, he is my fave mindee have had him since 7 months now 2.5 years .. Apparently he is going to a preschool local to them as a place has suddenly come up., here we have a free preschool year the year before they start school so I didn't think he would go Til next year. There has been one or two problems lately with parents not paying on time (wondering now if some of it was them saving a deposit for preschool) and dropping too early and picking to late with no apology which I have pulled them up on so I wonder if they are now finding me inflexible and will be able to drop him in to preschool earlier and pick up later for all in fee?

I don't really understand it I have bent over backwards for this family (I have him five days one week and three the next as they don't want to pay five days and granny has him other days) and I don't charge a retainer and have always managed to fit in ad hoc around him, recently I did ask them to swap the three day week to mon tues wed instead of wed thurs fri as I had option of filling the thurs and Fri which they said was fine granny didn't mind which days. Maybe she does or won't take him now? But then why not come back to me and talk to me about it?? And why can they suddenly afford to pay a nursery more fees than I would charge even for full time???

On top of it all she thinks she can count the week I was away as weeks notice and wants him to finish end may .. I did give them a contract which says four weeks notice but they never returned it and since I was new to it all I never worried (everyone else on contracts now!) and it doesn't say not including hols but will put that in for future, have sent email back saying I expect fees Til June 7th.. Not sure now if it will get nasty

I am so upset this is how they have handled it why not tell me face to face??!! Not to worried about filling space as its busy here but am so attached to him I am really upset

blue bear
19-05-2013, 08:25 AM
It always seems to be the ones you bend over backwards for that walk away without so much as a thank you.
Without a contract mum holds all the cards really, such a shame to loose such a lovely little boy too.
I don't accept notice by email what if you hadnt received it. Not a nice end to your holiday.

littlemiss60561
19-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Aw that's a shame. Bit crafty sending it when they did. My end of contracts need to be in writting , not email, and notice begins from when I receive it not when it was posted. Not sure how you will get around it with no contract because they could get away with paying you nothing if they wanted. Have you got anything in your policies about giving notice that they've signed? Again I don't know if this would be enough to enforce without a contract.
Good luck with it all and tell them thanks for the timing!

MessybutHappy
19-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Hugs, this is awful and will remain so for a while, but I'm sure you'll make his last few weeks with you really special. Perhaps the family have sent an email because they too are feeling a bit rubbish about the decision? Doesn't excuse, but might explain?

CLL
19-05-2013, 09:03 AM
I feel for you. Just makes me realise that it can all change in an instant. On the one hand parents use us because they see us as more flexible and family orientated than nurseries but then when they want to leave they treat us like a company and not an individual who has cared and loved their child for years. I would just print out a formal letter stating you are sorry to see x leave, you have enjoyed caring for him. The last day of care will be x and payment of £x is still owing. Good luck.

ziggy
19-05-2013, 09:15 AM
what a horrible way to end ur hols, i am so sorry, hopefully you will soon find a more caring family.

I've noticed the more you do for some families the more they take advantage, sad

rickysmiths
19-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Not nice to get on holiday but personally I would not have replied until I got home and then it would have been in writing. The fact they did not return the contract I don't think matters because they have used you for so long they have accepted the terms of your business by Custom and Practice.

smurfette
19-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Not nice to get on holiday but personally I would not have replied until I got home and then it would have been in writing. The fact they did not return the contract I don't think matters because they have used you for so long they have accepted the terms of your business by Custom and Practice.

See I said this to hubby too and he didn't think I had a leg to stand on but I feel if u get into a taxi you don't sign an agreement to pay a certain amount, by getting in and travelling you agree to pay! Is it not the same?! She is due in the morning if I hear nothing I will have words then, I will tell her the four week notice is there to protect me from having no income and her from suddenly having no care and how would she like it the other way around !

I didn't send a reply Til last night and made a thing about not having email while away and had not got home Til just then

The Juggler
19-05-2013, 11:26 AM

I agree hon. by using you for all this time they have implicitly agreed to the terms and conditions of your policies and contracts.

so sorry to hear this has happened.

smurfette
19-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks all.,

Have not had a reply from Email surprise surprise ,,
Think I may be in for a confrontation in the morning ., really think I have compromised by counting my weeks holidays in the four weeks notice and only asking for three weeks but the more I think of it the more cross I am at the way they have handled it and the fact they are hoping to get away with only two weeks notice ,, would say they knew about this long before last week if she has booked two weeks off work so why not mention it before and give the four weeks?!! Just wish they felt they could have talked to me about it and I feel so disrespected they obviously have no appreciation for all I have done :( wish me luck for the morning probably won't sleep a wink tonight

pipandbaz
19-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Ah that's awful big hugs chin up xxx

Becci26
19-05-2013, 08:14 PM
:( I never understand why parents do things this way, it just makes those last few weeks much trickier than they need to be - I had a mum give notice to me 2 days before my wedding day last year - did not help my stress levels!

Chin up Hun, tomoro will be better than u are anticipating.

Ps did u have a nice hols? Good to have u back :)

Bluebell
19-05-2013, 08:28 PM
aww so sorry to hear you have had such a rubish end to your holiday. It sounds like she didn't want to tell you to your face but wanted to give you, well what she thought was, longer notice. As a parent she obviously doesn't have a clue what is fair to you or what your notice period is - in that it does not include holiday period!

Think of her as being ignorant rather than malicious and hopefully tomorrow morning when you see her you can get all this sorted amicably. It would be such a shame to end it on unfriendly terms.

think about what is important to you - the money or her leaving on good terms. Could you fill the space easily if she left before her full notice period?
If she is not approachable in the morning it might be as well to set it out formally in a letter so that she can clearly understand what is expected. It may be that they realise at a later date they need you for wrap-around care or holidays or school pick ups once at school so it would be good to get your point across without falling out.
good luck with this - I really feel for you.

Shamai
19-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Oh Murphf that is an awful thing to do to you. They are obviously feeling guilty which is why they didn't speak to you earlier or face to face. As for the fees stick to your guns as much as you can, did you take a deposit? If not you might just have to take what you can in this instance. I am finding the discourteous manner of some parents unbelievable at times but suppose we just need to toughen up, stop doing favours and start charging appropriately. You can't however help getting attached to the little ones, hope tomorrow goes OK, let us know how you get on x

RuthJ
19-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Aw, really feel for you. Such a rotten way for your holiday to end.

Hope it goes ok tomorrow xx

wendywu
19-05-2013, 09:36 PM
She needs to give you 4 weeks PAID notice and do not take anything less, your holiday makes no difference,:angry:

lisbet
19-05-2013, 10:14 PM
:group hug:

That little boy will have appreciated the loving care you gave him and he'll carry it with him as he grows up xx

jackie 7
19-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Why is it the families we are kinder to dump us in a horrible way. Get them to pay the 4 weeks owed. Contracts are king! There is no way a space comes up that fast.

shortstuff
19-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Im sorry you are thinking about an uncomfortable meeting in the morning. I really hope she is suitably embarrased and that it goes well. I will be thinking of you in the morning x

smurfette
20-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks Gail nervous wreck this am!

shortstuff
20-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Thanks Gail nervous wreck this am!

Oh Murphf try not to be as she will sense it and it may help her to sway the meeting in her favour, even though you are in the right x am thinking of you x

FussyElmo
20-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Oh Murphf try not to be as she will sense it and it may help her to sway the meeting in her favour, even though you are in the right x am thinking of you x

Good luck murphf you are in the right and we are all behind you. Thinking of you this morning let us know how you get on.

stargazer1
20-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Good luck murph! Stay strong. Thinking of you today x

phoenix2010
20-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Good luck with the meeting , they did a rotten cowardly thing , stick to your guns and put a smile on your face :)

smurfette
20-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks you all it was actually grand! She said they were anxious of how he would settle somewhere new as he is so happy with me and that they weren't going to move him for another while but that the space had come up.. I told her we were all gutted to be losing him, and asked her If she had got my email she said yes that was grand she might leave him Til 7th June if that suited me., I am happy to let the fourth week go In the interests of having a good last three weeks .. Was all very amicable just wish they had said it to my face and saved the worry so hard to tell how something is meant if its on email or text ... Thank you all for your support I am so relieved! Now ., advertising!

Becci26
20-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks you all it was actually grand! She said they were anxious of how he would settle somewhere new as he is so happy with me and that they weren't going to move him for another while but that the space had come up.. I told her we were all gutted to be losing him, and asked her If she had got my email she said yes that was grand she might leave him Til 7th June if that suited me., I am happy to let the fourth week go In the interests of having a good last three weeks .. Was all very amicable just wish they had said it to my face and saved the worry so hard to tell how something is meant if its on email or text ... Thank you all for your support I am so relieved! Now ., advertising!

Yay! Really pleased it went well!!

Enjoy ur last few weeks with the little one :D

FussyElmo
20-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Glad it went :thumbsup:

Petshrinklj
20-05-2013, 01:37 PM
So pleased for you that meeting went well :) hope you had a good hol.

clareelizabeth1
20-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Glad it went well hope advertising goes better.

Supernanny86
20-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Glad it went well for you. Hopefully you'll have a great few weeks with him now :)

pipandbaz
20-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Result very pleased for u xxx

hectors house
20-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Hope you really enjoyed your holiday - I had the same thing happen to me many years ago, got back from fantastic holiday in Florida, with jet lag after not sleeping on night flight back and stupidly opened the post rather than going straight to bed. I found the same a letter giving notice dated the date I had left (I was away 2 weeks) and they thought they were going to get away with only giving another 2 weeks notice - luckily I had used NCMA contracts which specified "notice can't be given during holiday period" and they had to give 4 weeks notice.

Hope the next few weeks go smoothly and they start to appreciate all you have done for them and their child over the years. Nursery with late pickup charges, paying full fee for illness and holidays etc may come as a rude awakening!

smurfette
20-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Hope you really enjoyed your holiday - I had the same thing happen to me many years ago, got back from fantastic holiday in Florida, with jet lag after not sleeping on night flight back and stupidly opened the post rather than going straight to bed. I found the same a letter giving notice dated the date I had left (I was away 2 weeks) and they thought they were going to get away with only giving another 2 weeks notice - luckily I had used NCMA contracts which specified "notice can't be given during holiday period" and they had to give 4 weeks notice.

Hope the next few weeks go smoothly and they start to appreciate all you have done for them and their child over the years. Nursery with late pickup charges, paying full fee for illness and holidays etc may come as a rude awakening!

Aw that's even worse!!! Need to amend my contracts to say not including holidays but it wasn't on the one I have them.. Happy enough to meet in middle and part on good terms

Anyway had a chat on pick up asked her if she would do me a reference and she said 'of course! And please give my number to anyone who wants it, I wouldn't like you to think we weren't happy we have been delighted with the care he got and have agonised over it, it's just gonna be handier and he will get his free year there next year which can be hard to get otherwise' crèche is open Til 630 so dad can pick up if she is running late and she will be able to cycle to work from there, my house is backwards to go forwards if you know what I mean, probably adds a good half hour on in the morning. She has been under Pressure at work finding it hard to get out but again if they had talked to me I could have changed hours if needs be though I do like to finish by six.. To be honest that all made me feel better, wish he wasn't going and personally think as you say they will get a shock with crèche he seems to pick up every bug going and I am happy to accept him most of time don't think they will! She also commented how much he would miss my girls, says she hopes they are making right decision as he is so happy here... Hmm would I have a place if it didn't work out??!!! Not sure I would to be honest!

smurfette
20-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh and thank you all yes we did have a lovely holiday!!!

MessybutHappy
20-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Ah, how nice! All's well that ends well! Fingers crossed for the next member of your gang turning up soon!

Kirstylob
20-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Glad everything went well and all ended in a positive way with the family. Make the most and enjoy your last few weeks.

ziggy
20-05-2013, 07:18 PM
pleased to hear all worked out

smurfette
28-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Have filled the space! Just two days a week with a possibility of a third if granny can't cope..
She was flexible with days so I offered her Monday and Tuesdays and managed to persuade one of my other mums to change her days.. Now I have most Fridays off! Hard not to think of the 'lost revenue' but it will be lovely while girls off for the summer and I think I was a bit too busy for my liking recently! So all worked out for best in the end (oh and she starts week after little man finishes!( thanks all for letting me moan and uour support!

shortstuff
28-05-2013, 11:42 AM
oooh jealous, fridays off? that would be nice x

Supernanny86
29-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Have filled the space! Just two days a week with a possibility of a third if granny can't cope..
She was flexible with days so I offered her Monday and Tuesdays and managed to persuade one of my other mums to change her days.. Now I have most Fridays off! Hard not to think of the 'lost revenue' but it will be lovely while girls off for the summer and I think I was a bit too busy for my liking recently! So all worked out for best in the end (oh and she starts week after little man finishes!( thanks all for letting me moan and uour support!

Glad you've managed to fill the space. I have Fridays off too, very nice they are too!! Enjoy!

Cinnamon Sugar
29-05-2013, 07:39 AM
That's great news, glad you filled the space.
How awful to have gone through all of that though & tainting the end of your holiday.

smurfette
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Well. He is gone! Just left ten minutes ago, not so much as a hug, flowers, card nothing! Did think there might be some token of appreciation after almost two years! She just said she would keep in touch and laughed and said she might be back on the phone in two weeks looking for me to take him back If crèche doesn't work out! Said thanks for everything and left .. Hummpphh!!!

shortstuff
07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
what a lovely parent you are no longer working with. I just say you have had a lucky break x

jackie 7
07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Well with the wonderful stories about Irish creches in the papers she may regret leaving you.

mum26
07-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Sounds like she is completely thoughtless - hopefully next family will be more appreciative :)

Stapleton83
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
If she does come back to you I don't think i would be too keen to take her back given her behaviour!

Never mind at least you have got someone else already lined up - let's hope they appreciate you a bit more.

Enjoy your weekend,

Sam x

wendywu
07-06-2013, 10:49 PM
[! She just said she would keep in touch and laughed and said she might be back on the phone in two weeks looking for me to take him back If crèche doesn't work out! Said thanks for everything and left .. Hummpphh!!![/QUOTE]

Yer right :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

CLL
08-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Well done for filling the space so quickly. Hope all goes well.

Tazmin68
08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
I went on holiday two weeks ago and I had the following three texts on the Tuesday after bank holiday. I do newsletters 4 times a year and put in newsletters since may of last year that ir the first time in ten years that I was taking a two week holiday. On the Wednesday before I went away I had one little one who had two very dirty nappies if I had a third I would have sent her home when I did take her home I explained to mom about the nappies and mom told me younger brother was the same so obviously a bug and I was a little annoyed to say the least. I thought it was worth advising other parents that a child may have had a bug but was not 100 per cent certain.

Text 1 - parent a - are you only taking Monday and Tuesday off or are you way for whole week.

Replied that as per newsletters that I was away for two weeks was only effecting their child for one week which was why I had given mom details of holiday clubs a few weeks ago. I did get an apology.

Text 2 - parent b - could I have her son Thursday and Friday.

Replied again as per newsletters that I was away and that was why I ad sent mom a text giving details of another minder who was able to cover a couple of weeks prior to holiday.

Text 3 - parent c - complaining that I should not have had the child who was ill on the previous Wednesday. I had her child Thursday and Friday and was ill on the Sunday and Monday which was my fault.

I have now found out from the minder who covered for me and looked after a 2 year old that I have that dad told her that mom is pregnant and is due in December. Dad has not said anything to me at all and I do not see mom. I am just debating on do I mention anything in passing to dad so that I have an indication on when and if child will be leaving me which I am sure he will as mom works full time and dad part time just so I know to advertise a place for in the future.

Debbie

The Juggler
08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Well. He is gone! Just left ten minutes ago, not so much as a hug, flowers, card nothing! Did think there might be some token of appreciation after almost two years! She just said she would keep in touch and laughed and said she might be back on the phone in two weeks looking for me to take him back If crèche doesn't work out! Said thanks for everything and left .. Hummpphh!!!

:angry: cheeky moo! I hope you told her - "Oh, I wouldn't bother contacting me, as I've already replaced him so won't have any room - sorry" (smiling sweetly)

Kiddleywinks
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Text 3 - parent c - complaining that I should not have had the child who was ill on the previous Wednesday. I had her child Thursday and Friday and was ill on the Sunday and Monday which was my fault.

I'm afraid I would have replied, I agree, I shouldn't have had the ill child, and had the parent concerned informed me that their child had been ill I certainly wouldn't have accepted them which is why it is important that ALL parents stick to the illness rules so these things do not happen.