PDA

View Full Version : Do I want a Facebook page or closed group?

lisbet
18-05-2013, 01:36 PM
I want to share things that come up on my timeline that I think might interest my mindees' parents, like blog posts with ideas for play or children's book recommendations, and maybe in the future I'll be organised enough to put pictures of their children's day on there too.

SO:

Can I make a page that has public sections (for raising my business profile) and private sections just for parents, or would I be better off with a closed group for parents?
How easy is it to make either?
What should I do about families with no limited internet access/ confidence? [I could produce a newsletter, but I wouldn't be able to put the same sort of info on it.] :confused:
Will I be able to run the page without my families seeing my own personal FB profile?
Or actually should I make a new business FB account with a public page and a closed parents group?

Sorry for all the questions! As you can see, I need help! :blush::laughing:

Rick
18-05-2013, 01:40 PM
I want to share things that come up on my timeline that I think might interest my mindees' parents, like blog posts with ideas for play or children's book recommendations, and maybe in the future I'll be organised enough to put pictures of their children's day on there too.

SO:

Can I make a page that has public sections (for raising my business profile) and private sections just for parents, or would I be better off with a closed group for parents?
How easy is it to make either?
What should I do about families with no limited internet access/ confidence? [I could produce a newsletter, but I wouldn't be able to put the same sort of info on it.] :confused:
Will I be able to run the page without my families seeing my own personal FB profile?
Or actually should I make a new business FB account with a public page and a closed parents group?

Sorry for all the questions! As you can see, I need help! :blush::laughing:

Not entirely sure but why do you need to use FB? You have to be so careful with putting mindee's photos on FB, have parents said it's what they want?

lisbet
18-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Not entirely sure but why do you need to use FB? You have to be so careful with putting mindee's photos on FB, have parents said it's what they want?

I don't need to, it's just that I keep reading blog posts etc about children/ play etc on my own personal FB page and thinking that parents would be interested in them and would be good if I could share them. (Without being friends with them as I want to keep my own FB seperate from work.)

Photos of LO's playing was a secondary idea, but you're right - probably best not to rely on FB security settings for that and keep photos to the learning journals. :)

I guess I could just do an email newsletter with links to the cool blog posts, and give a print version to families without internet - that might be simpler...

Rick
18-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't need to, it's just that I keep reading blog posts etc about children/ play etc on my own personal FB page and thinking that parents would be interested in them and would be good if I could share them. (Without being friends with them as I want to keep my own FB seperate from work.)

Photos of LO's playing was a secondary idea, but you're right - probably best not to rely on FB security settings for that and keep photos to the learning journals. :)

I guess I could just do an email newsletter with links to the cool blog posts, and give a print version to families without internet - that might be simpler...

Yes the newsletter may be a safer way to do it, plus it feels a bit more personal I think. One of my parents was a friend on FB before I looked after her children (she is my wife's friend) and she asked if she could unfriend me to keep the relationship business-like. She also didn't want my photos of her children on FB or for me to use any photos she had on there (for a family collage). So parents can be a bit funny with FB, even if motives are sound

VeggieSausage
18-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I do have a facebook page but never include photos of children on it, just generic photos....

SDC34cr
18-05-2013, 10:05 PM
I have a Facebook page for personal and a business one. I have parents permission for photos but only backs and sides of heads no front facing pictures. I find it good as I have parents that don't sign into baby's days system but are always on Facebook . This way I know they are getting photos of their children and can see what they have been doing. I don't know what ofsted will think but they told me I need to build parent partnership and I think this should come under that as parents like and comment on the page and I can send messages through Facebook to parents that don't use email.

lisbet
19-05-2013, 07:39 AM
I have a Facebook page for personal and a business one. I have parents permission for photos but only backs and sides of heads no front facing pictures. I find it good as I have parents that don't sign into ********* system but are always on Facebook . This way I know they are getting photos of their children and can see what they have been doing. I don't know what ofsted will think but they told me I need to build parent partnership and I think this should come under that as parents like and comment on the page and I can send messages through Facebook to parents that don't use email.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I wanted to do it for the reason in bold too. I also thought that by posting activity ideas I see online, it would be a good way to share these with parents. :)

skatie
19-05-2013, 08:58 AM
I have a Facebook page and it has generated ALOT of business enquiries for me. Parents love being able to see the activities we have been up to and I do put photos of the children but only the back or side of them and only full face pictures of my own children. I have written in my permission forms that I use Facebook. Parents seem to be happy with this.

Little Puddings
20-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a fb page, I upload photos but if the children are in them they are either headless photos or from behind. I have grandparents following my page where they can follow what we get up too :) also to new perspective parents I mention my fb page so they can have a look what we do.