PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED medical assessment!

gef918
18-05-2013, 09:27 AM
I received a letter from OFSTED yesterday telling me I need to go for a medical assessment. I was ill last year and off work for 2 months. They have just received the health declaration from my GP and want me to be assessed.

Has any one else had this? What does it entail and how worried do I need to be?

I am fit and healthy, however, there is a chance that my illness could recur. I have procedures in place to deal with it and I do not believe that the children would be in danger for the short time it would take parents to pick them up. Will they cancel my registration on the offchance that I could become ill again?

sarak31
18-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I haven't experienced this so I don't really know - I am sure someone will be along who can help a bit better.

But I would have thought they are assessing the risk level to the children and what impact your illness might have on the care you can provide. They are probably looking at what type of illness it was, whether it will be recurrent and whether if it may be recurrent it could affect your capability to care for the children. Any report that you doctor provides will likely reflect these things and when you go you could ask the doctor, if he agrees it is the case, to include in his letter to ofsted the answers to those things.

sarah707
18-05-2013, 03:54 PM
It is normal to get this letter if your GP has flagged up a concern about your health.

The doctor will need to reassure Ofsted that you are fit to work with children - that you can lift them - that you won't keel over when looking after them etc.

Just be honest and talk it through and I am sure it will all be ok xx

gef918
19-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I'm not worried about the actual medical tests, because I know that I am fit and healthy. It's just the worry that they may decide that because I MIGHT become ill in the future they could remove my registration.

AND I'm now worrying that worrying about this is going to make me ill again!

Sigh. Think I need a hug!

gef918
25-05-2013, 10:40 AM
I now have a clean bill of health from two consultants. Hopefully that will be enough to satisfy the doctor I see for my medical assessment. A huge relief!