PDA

View Full Version : Do I or dont I

lor
17-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Do I or dont I need to be accredited to draw funding for the 15 hrs for 3yr olds
sorry I keep asking the same question and must be really dim because even though a couple of lovely people have taken the time to tell me I do
I keep reading post that make me think I dont Not sure if i'm reading info correctly
recently met with my DO who had printed off a Pacey accreditation tick list and she told me I did need to be accredited but not sure whether its in my interest or hers.
so sorry for asking the same question but dont want to waste my time if I dont need to.
xxx

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 11:05 PM
At the moment you have to do whatever your LA require to be able to offer the funded places.

From Sept 1013 it will change and we were told by a speaker from the Dept of Education at a pacey meeting in Marlow a few weeks ago. From Sept this year LA would no longer be able to put any extra conditions on Ofsted Registered Child Carers in order for them to deliver funding. From Sept you will not need a Level 3, you can be graded Satisfactory, Good or Outstanding. The only requirement will be that you are OFSTED registered. LAs may still run networks but they will not be able to make you be part of them.

Koala
18-05-2013, 05:04 AM
It's a tricky one with all the different advice that is going about.

In my opinion - never mind what has been said in the media, Local authorities or interpretation from the sector and I may be wrong BUT:

1) I do not think that the local education authority will be happy to allow ALL childminders to be able to access the funding.

2) I find that at the moment local authorities would prefer the funding to be kept in house through school nurseries etc.... it is a valuable source of local education authorities revenue, they won't want to see it go elsewhere

3) And to be honest - and we all know what I am talking about - some childminders really are not suitable

4) I would try and access accreditation now

5) I think that come September there will be further academic requirements to be able to deliver the funding even if they are what are considered basic like GCSE's maths, english etc... it may, sadly, put barriers in for some good childminders. And to be honest I think more qualifications will be required.

This is my own opinion and I may well be wrong. However once you are accredited, and if that is available now, I would grab it with two hands, you will be better placed come September when everything inevitably changes.

I respect what rickysmith says with regards the speaker from the department of education but it may be me being cynical BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IT, I think lip service has being paid in order to escape a challenging situation - it tends to become a political floor at these venues and they just tell you what you want to hear and not the Whole truth.

Go for it and get accredited now. :thumbsup:

wendywu
18-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I think they may change the grades so that satisfactory becomes needs improvement. So that means only good and outstanding could be the only grades to offer funding.

They are desperate in Surrey for CM to offer the FEET funding to the 2 year olds. They are not meeting the goverment requirements on this at all and have a massive shortfall and bare in mind we are a rich borough in stock broker belt of surrey, one would assume that we would not have a high need for places for under privileged 2 year olds. So the number of places needed in poorer areas of the country must be higher.

So i think that is why they will let CM get the funding to open up needed spaces. I also think that is why the new EYFS that came in last sep relaxed the numbers of children.

But we will see :)