PDA

View Full Version : Im getting really worried now :(

JCrakers
17-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm not one to worry for no reason and all the talk about agencies hasn't worried me because I don't know the facts yet. I've kept pretty calm about it and haven't listened to all the what ifs....I've signed petitions and said my piece, I've emailed truss and my local councillor. I know we all have our own worries about these agencies and what they are going to bring.

But now I'm worried :(
At the moment business is booming, Ive built up over 6yrs which has been very hard. I have 6 EY children but I'm losing 4 soon.

1 goes to school in sept but is term time only so she stops being fulltime in mid July when schools finish
1 is leaving mid july along with older sister as Mums having a 3rd baby in September
1 is prob going to cut hours right down as Mum is expecting in November

So....i'm left with three, two of them receiving 15hrs funding a week.

So, I've been reading about agencies and the funding. Like I said, I'm not one to worry about things that haven't happened but.....

What if the agency (that I'm not joining) does the funding....where does that leave me?

It leaves me with two mindees Ieaving me and going to a preschool, and I'm left with 1 child. All the advertising will be to no avail as all the work will be with the agency. Work is really hard to find here, I have about 1 phonecall a year, most business comes from people I know or siblings.
So I'll either HAVE to join the agency or go out of business.

The wine has been poured !!!!!!

Twinkling Stars
17-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I understand your worries. Mine are the same. Bit hopefully you will get business through word of mouth. Mine has always come this way, so fingers crossed that will continue x

The Juggler
17-05-2013, 06:36 PM
hon, sorry to hear how many are leaving possibly. but....chill a bit. This year the agency model is only a pilot so no-one can be forced into anything in order to continue to receive funding. Any rules like this will not apply until after the pilot and when agency model is here for real.

Also at the mo, the proposals to remove central funding/control over NEG funding are just proposals so until something is sorted - no change.

So, enjoy your wine and get advertising :thumbsup:

Tazmin68
17-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Last year I had all of my ey children leave end August.

A 3/4 funded child who was starting reception at a school I do not cover.
A 2 year old funded child who was moving to a nursery school in the September.
A 2 year old private full timer family moved away.
Two children aged 1 and 2 who were only with me for respite care for 10 weeks until end August.
Plus I has an after school child who left me end of July,

I was left with 1 child who attends school holidays only and 1 child after school.

I started to get busier again from November but yes it was a struggle.

sarah707
17-05-2013, 08:46 PM
The DfE have confirmed that ALL childminders - agency and independent - will be able to accept funded sessions.

It will depend on grade and suitability - not whether you are in an agency or not.

It's here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/199064/Funded_Early_Education_Choice_Framework.pdf

I hope that helps a bit xx

sarah707
17-05-2013, 08:49 PM
The Childminding Forum has a Facebook group for independent childminders! It was only set up a couple of days ago and we have barely advertised it yet but it already has nearly 300 members.

We are aiming to get the facts out there and stop all the worry caused by supposition and rumours.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/independentchildminders/

:D

mrstom
18-05-2013, 06:11 AM
The Childminding Forum has a Facebook group for independent childminders! It was only set up a couple of days ago and we have barely advertised it yet but it already has nearly 300 members.

We are aiming to get the facts out there and stop all the worry caused by supposition and rumours.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/independentchildminders/

:D

I've just joined :)

adedwards68
18-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Just joined as well

Optimalstar
18-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Just joined too x

marnieb
18-05-2013, 08:21 AM
JCrackers -

I share your worries, am having EXACTLY the same thoughts about my own situation! I'm trying not to worry about any changes until we have something concrete, but its so hard not to!

Come September I'll have 2 babies 2 days a week each, 1 leaving as mum getting an aupair, own dd and mindee to school, so I should have loads of spaces but cannot fill them!! I've had interviews, but I never see or hear from them again!! It's not like I'm even losing them to other local cms as I literally never see these children again!!!

JCrakers
18-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks all. :)

Sarah, I joined a couple of days ago and only started to get worried by reading people's comments. they come up in my newsfeed. Someone had asked her LA about the funding and they had been told that they probably won't be able to receive the funding unless they were in the agency, that's when I started to think.....

Kiddleywinks
18-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Sarah, I joined a couple of days ago and only started to get worried by reading people's comments. they come up in my newsfeed. Someone had asked her LA about the funding and they had been told that they probably won't be able to receive the funding unless they were in the agency, that's when I started to think.....

Unfortunately the LA's seem to know less than we do, so I wouldn't read too much into what LA's are saying at the moment.
(Think about the revised EYFS in September and the information some LA's were giving out to members here :rolleyes:)

Rolacolapink
18-05-2013, 09:28 AM
I would like to join the facebook page but need to be invited - please can someone invite me? :)

Rick
18-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I would like to join the facebook page but need to be invited - please can someone invite me? :)

You can just go to the page and click join. Admin will let you in :D

FussyElmo
18-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Found the page and joined :thumbsup:

balijay
18-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Joined too - a big thanks to whoever set it up. I think we are going to need all the help we can get!

lubeam
18-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Joined thanks :)

Paulab
18-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Just joined :)

sarahmc
18-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Joined. Thankyou

Rolacolapink
19-05-2013, 08:17 AM
You can just go to the page and click join. Admin will let you in :D

of course silly me ha ha :laughing:

sarah707
19-05-2013, 08:22 AM

I imagine you started reading the thread then didn't see the replies??

It was confirmed by one of our company members on the FB group - she'd been at 2 meetings where DfE confirmed that all childminders would be able to draw the funding.

xx

bunyip
19-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Whilst I'm not happy about agencies, I'm not terrified about them either. The truth is that de facto agencies already exist.

I tend to think agencies will appeal to lazy parents who can't be bothered to put a little effort into finding a good CM. The sort of parent who is swayed by glossy adverts, rather than seeking out a personal service from a CM who wants to build good relationships with client families. The sort of parent I can well do without.

I signed contracts last week for 2 children, and have 11 other current enquiries, 2 of which have taken away forms ahead of contract negotiations. Only one of those responded to an advert I have in a local families directory. The rest found me from the county FIS or Ofsted websites (parents said they trusted these and didn't even consider looking at more 'commercial' websites) or by word-of-mouth recommendation (the latter being the larger group.)

If it's any consolation, JC, then your reputation will count for far more with the right sort of parent than any sort of agency spin ever will. :thumbsup:

Simona
19-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Sarah...I agree that the DfE is saying that from September all good/o's cms will be able to draw the funding

I have met and communicated with the DfE guy many times...I have also met James Hempsall who is in charge of helping LAs roll out the funding ..will meet both again on 5 June at the 2 year old conference...many have heard the message at Pacey's events

The message is so clear so why are some LAs still saying no??
in the end, I am sure, we will be able to do this blessed funding ...what worries me is when will we be told for sure how to draw the funding and how we get these 2 year olds???